2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 12.3" Popout Android Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 5 Series F10 F11 F18

12-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #67
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalexl View Post
What do you think from Navifly 12.3 vs original profissional screen? And about 10" Android screen?
The poput 12.3 makes any kind of plastics noise?
The plastic bracket is quite flimsy. It does rattle a bit on rough road. I took it out and stick dynamat at the back of the plastic. That solved the rattle problem. Go for 12.3" and give your BMW the updated look. I come from 10" OEM screen and looks dated.

Last edited by pierreye; 12-27-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #68
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblzee View Post
No noises on the navifly 12.3 inch for me. Fitment was good and had no issues with squeaks or anything like that. I was worried when I ordered mine seeing people complain about it but all good with me !
Did you upgrade the firmware to 2.3.6? My unit come with ver 2.3.0. Based on the changelog, the Zlink on v2.3.6 is newer version.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #69
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Quote:
No noises on the navifly 12.3 inch for me. Fitment was good and had no issues with squeaks or anything like that. I was worried when I ordered mine seeing people complain about it but all good with me !
Did you upgrade the firmware to 2.3.6? My unit come with ver 2.3.0. Based on the changelog, the Zlink on v2.3.6 is newer version.
I haven't touched it, kept it the way it came. Everything works good so not planning on messing with it. Apple CarPlay works with some connection issues from time to time but not enough to piss me off.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #70
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I haven't touched it, kept it the way it came. Everything works good so not planning on messing with it. Apple CarPlay works with some connection issues from time to time but not enough to piss me off.
Yeah. I wouldn't upgrade it if there is no major issue. My understanding is 2.3.6 Zlink is more stable compare to 2.3.0.

Update: Just upgraded to 2.3.6. Very straightforward and current configuration is kept after upgrade.

Last edited by pierreye; 12-31-2020 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #71
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Been using Android 10 HU for one week and it’s very stable. My phone still connected to OEM bluetooth telephony. Music is on par with OEM using flac files. My fav is able to run Waze or iGo natively so no longer need to update BMW map. The car interior look modernize with the bigger screen and better UI. Highly recommended for around USD 500. Better than retrofit NBT EVO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Jamesmick131.00
ooati6.50
      01-03-2021, 04:31 AM   #72
Nalexl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI

Quote:
Been using Android 10 HU for one week and it’s very stable. My phone still connected to OEM bluetooth telephony. Music is on par with OEM using flac files. My fav is able to run Waze or iGo natively so no longer need to update BMW map. The car interior look modernize with the bigger screen and better UI. Highly recommended for around USD 500. Better than retrofit NBT EVO.
Thanks for the feedback. Could you upload more pictures? You car's interior it's
Like mine.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #73
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalexl View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Could you upload more pictures? You car's interior it's
Like mine.

Thanks in advance
Here’s some different view. Also shown is DVR screen with ADAS system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-05-2021, 03:25 AM   #74
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Hey guys,

As I've mentioned on a previous post, I'm on my third of these units (from AvinUSA) and it works great, finally.

I'm just running into a little snag, which really is minor in the scheme of things, but AVIN insists that the feet that attach to the bracket only use 2 screws per foot (4 total).

I know that this is not true because while I was returning and getting new units to try to fix an issue, one of them came with a complete set of 6 screws.

I tried to explain this to them, but they said they asked their engineer, and that he said it's only 4 screws. Anyone with eyes can clearly see it was meant to take 6.

Sure the unit holds with 4, but it's more secure and less wobbly with 6. I guess I'll have to source my own from the hardware store, but I just wanted to vent my frustration with AVIN after all the money that I have spent with them, they will not send me two measly screws

Here are some pics of what I mean (btw I don't know how it was for you guys, but the feet didn't already come attached like in my pics, I had to do that myself):

PS: All the images you guys are posting look great. I too love this unit in our cars. I see that most of you have chosen to keep the "blue light filter" on the screen. For anyone interested, I took mine off and the text is SOOOO much sharper than with it on. Sure there's a little more glare, but my car windows are all tinted so it's not bad.

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 01-05-2021 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:35 AM   #75
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Same here, I only get 2 screws for each side. My unit is from Navifly. I do see some unit come with metal feet. As for the blue-glare screen protector, I wanted to remove it but no option to get 3rd party anti-glare screen protector for the unit. I hate the bluish screen at certain angle but jacking up the brightness to 95% does overcome the slightly bluish color.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #76
cb2004mj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

yea evnthrzn I agree with removing the screen cover and the screws. I did both those pretty immediately. also after a week added a thin piece of foam to the bottom of the screen that's hardly noticable but stiffened the mount drastically and have zero flex now. glad you finally got a good unit in yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #77
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Will you get fingerprint smudges after removing the screen protector?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #78
cb2004mj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

Quote:
Will you get fingerprint smudges after removing the screen protector?
very minimal, I clean mine during my usual interior cleaning maybe every 3-4 weeks and it's never been bad in-between those times. and I'm ocd about that stuff lol. then again depends how oily or lotion your hands are too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #79
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2004mj View Post
very minimal, I clean mine during my usual interior cleaning maybe every 3-4 weeks and it's never been bad in-between those times. and I'm ocd about that stuff lol. then again depends how oily or lotion your hands are too.
Ditto, including about the OCD, I keep a microfiber cloth on hand when I feel that it needs a quick wipe.

After months of waiting, AVIN seems to finally have the non-blue screen protectors up on the store:

https://avinusa.com/12-30-anti-glare...0-f10-e84.html

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 01-05-2021 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #80
Nalexl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI

Quote:
Here’s some different view. Also shown is DVR screen with ADAS system.
It looks very nice! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #81
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post
Ditto, including about the OCD, I keep a microfiber cloth on hand when I feel that it needs a quick wipe.

After months of waiting, AVIN seems to finally have the non-blue screen protectors up on the store:

https://avinusa.com/12-30-anti-glare...0-f10-e84.html
Thanks. With third party screen protector, I'll try to remove the blue-glare protector.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:20 AM   #82
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here, I only get 2 screws for each side. My unit is from Navifly. I do see some unit come with metal feet. As for the blue-glare screen protector, I wanted to remove it but no option to get 3rd party anti-glare screen protector for the unit. I hate the bluish screen at certain angle but jacking up the brightness to 95% does overcome the slightly bluish color.
AVIN seems to be coming through with the 2 missing screws after all. After some back and forth (and what should have been an unnecessary reminder of how much money that I have spent with them ), they have told me that they are mailing me the 2 missing screws.

The new non-blue screen protector is also on its way.

Can't wait to see if I end up liking it with the protector or without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #83
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for checking out the normal screen protector. Will look forward for your impression. USB TPMS is coming and that should complete the upgrade as my car only come with TPM (only warning using rotation detection, no real time pressure and temp monitoring).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #84
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

12.3" Popout HU Anti-glare comparison

Got my anti-glare screen protectors (x3) a couple of days ago. On the plus side, they do a great job of cutting down on glare. On the negative side, the screen-door effect they have is kind of a no-go for me. Which one is more egregious for you...you'll have to decide that.

Since my windows are tinted, glare is not usually very bad, so I picked the (best) worst time of day when there would be the most glare, in order to make a fair comparison.

Also please note: I rushed in installing the protector in order to get an idea if I would like to keep it or not and to take these pics (they sent me 3 of them anyway). Normally I would have taken the unit off and taken it into a steamy bathroom to cut down on dust particles getting stuck behind it. This post is just to quickly show you guys the new protectors for these 12.3" units. So forgive the awful bubbles, etc.

Firstly, a wide shot of the unit itself installed in my car (ANTI-GLARE INSTALLED):
View post on imgur.com

Closer shot of just the HU (ANTI-GLARE INSTALLED) (Ignore the bubbles, as this was not meant to be permanent):
View post on imgur.com

The screen-door effect up close:
View post on imgur.com

I cut the protector in half to demonstrate the screen-door effect vs not, and also the glare vs less glare. (The random lines on the left side with no protector are a camera aberration and aren't there in real life):
View post on imgur.com

No screen-door vs screen-door effect, up close:
View post on imgur.com

Different angle (NO ANTI-GLARE protector at all):
View post on imgur.com

For me I think I will do without the protector for now, and maybe try it again in the spring/summer to see if I like it better then. But I'm sure many of you will not mind the screen-door effect, and rather have less glare, which I completely understand.

Take care.

PS: I hate the change to IMGUR with the headers/footers on the linked images.

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 01-11-2021 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 3
pierreye212.00
Hansa3.00
      01-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #85
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank You for the comparison especially the half screen protector. It looks like dirty screen effect with the protector on. I think the best if they come with matte tempered glass version.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #86
bmw5usa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

how does your Bluetooth work? does the unit come with a separate speaker or does it still work with the factory speakers like normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #87
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5usa View Post
how does your Bluetooth work? does the unit come with a separate speaker or does it still work with the factory speakers like normal?
Still using OEM bluetooth for phone. So I have no idea how good is the bluetooth for telephony using Android. It does come with one speakers for independent navigation voice but I didn't use that too. The navigation system can use factory speakers just like normal. Will automatically lower the music when the navigation voice is active.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:54 PM   #88
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5usa View Post
The Android unit's microphone is generally really really bad for phone calls. It's barely good enough for voice commands. As for the speakers, either way, you will hear the other person via your car's original speakers so that's normally not an issue. But the person on the other end won't get very good quality sound from you using the Android mic.

I think most people who get these units realize that soon enough, and change the settings to use the OEM phone microphones in the headliner, and the android unit for carplay/android auto sound output via the car's speakers.

Some units do come with an external unit (small round speaker) that lets you hear navigation directions from Android-based navigation apps. I have yet to need that speaker though as my car always routes sound via the AUX channel (via the harness, not the middle console jack).
Appreciate 0