2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Disney World [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]
Closed Thread

06-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #89
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
What a monumental pain in the tits.
All you do spew negativity, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      06-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #90
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I am just being realistic. You gotta cart two kids around in 100 degree heat and plan 6 months ahead to eat. You can't be spontaneous, lines are insane, pricing is nuts. On what planet is that enjoyable? The mrs wants it, the kids want it so OP is screwed but let's not pretend this is a good idea.

Not to mention I suggested a realistic option, the Cruise seems a way better experience right now but again, OP is boxed in by the wife so he has gotta tow the line.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #91
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a week now, but my wife and I were on an epic road trip and just returned last night.

I consider us expert Disney planning people....not trying to brag, but we've been going for 30 years. A lot has changed, especially recently.

I'll keep this high level, but Disney World can be an excellent family vacation, but there are several things you need to be aware of, first.

1. Planning - unfortunately today, DisneyWorld requires a TON of advance planning. Which park on which day (we go by the longest hours for any one park to determine which one we will be visiting on which day.)
2. Are you planning to Park Hop (jump from one park to the next? This can be useful, if you visit the Magic Kingdom for early entry days, but then want to finish in Epcot especially if you want to have dinner in one of the lands).
3. Time of year - yes, there are lesser crowds during certain times, but you especially want to avoid the heat & humidity. Jan - Feb are very good, but the parks close earlier so it's a trade off. November is good, especially if you would pull your kids out of school before the Thanksgiving breaks start....so too is early December.
4. Remember when I mentioned planning? DisneyWorld requires advanced dining reservations, 6 months in advance. If you don't have them, you'll be frustrated when you can't just show up, sit down and have a meal.
5. You need to use the Disney Genie and Disney Genie + service in order to avoid long lines for the most popular attractions. This is unfortunate, because not only is this an extra cost - it also means you can't just be spontaneous. Also, you have to plan to wake up every day before 7 a.m. in order to book the most popular rides, like Rise of the Resistance, etc. This kind of takes the luster off a relaxing vacation idea, but no one said DisneyWorld is relaxing.
6. In order to do all the Parks and surrounding areas, you need a minimum of 6 days - more if you want a more leisure pace.
7. I do recommend to stay on property (a Disney hotel) because the transportation system is good - and there are several price tiers to accommodate your budget.
8. Yes, Disney is expensive....but if you compare a price per day vs a weeklong stay in Vail, including ski passes, you get a lot more. So it's all relative.
9. Lines - again, with a lot of planning, you can avoid most of the long lines, but you will have to queue up for a lot of rides. It's all part of the experience, but it isn't 75% of your day, either.
10. There are a lot of experiences besides the rides, like shows, character breakfasts etc. that also add to the experience and you aren't waiting in a line!
11. Visit Disney specific forums for the latest news such as ride closures, special events, etc.

This is a very general list - but if it seems overwhelming just to take a vacation, consider using a Disney Planner that specializes in structuring your ideal stay. Also, sign up for this newsletter: www.mousesavers.com - each month it provides a lot of valuable data and savings.

Lastly, I gotta say, while we still like DisneyWorld, because of all the above we much prefer DisneyLand in California - it's a lot more manageable and has just as many rides.

Good luck!
Awesome input! Thanks for all the pointers. Seems like planning way in advance is the general theme I've been getting, so glad I jumped on this now while I'm still over a year out.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Tyga113227.00
      06-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #92
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Awesome input! Thanks for all the pointers. Seems like planning way in advance is the general theme I've been getting, so glad I jumped on this now while I'm still over a year out.
We've helped quite a few people out with planning a Disney Trip, so feel free to private message me with any specific questions. And again, yes it requires a lot of planning, way more so than a general trip to a beach, but it can be very enjoyable!
Appreciate 2
wtwo317864.00
      06-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #93
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
This is the most American thing I have ever read.
Even though I feel very safe while at Disney, you really become situationally unaware of your surroundings there. It's a little unsettling when you think about it.
      06-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #94
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Even though I feel very safe while at Disney, you really become situationally unaware of your surroundings there. It's a little unsettling when you think about it.
Growing up in NJ/NY I never felt the need to have a gun. Been in Florida for 7 years now and still have not gotten one but def. feel more of a need than up North. However, Disney is one spot I never felt uncomfortable
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #95
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Growing up in NJ/NY I never felt the need to have a gun. Been in Florida for 7 years now and still have not gotten one but def. feel more of a need than up North. However, Disney is one spot I never felt uncomfortable
Let's not derail this thread anymore.
Alfisti6452.50
Tommy-G4467.00
________4157.00
      06-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #96
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Let's not derail this thread anymore.
I mean, I think everything has been said...and you were the one that brought it up...

I have to ask - you aren't the same doctor by chance that wound up at our table in St. Maarten about 8 years ago were you?

This is the one who was extremely *American* I'll call it in an effort to be polite. This is the one who told us that he had motion sensor field on his property boundary that triggered an alarm inside the house if it was tripped, had stashed all sorts of firearms in various places in the house (didn't really care about that, I mean go for it, his kids were all in their teens) and a poor pizza boy who got the wrong house (his house) wound up staring down the barrel of one of his guns with one of his family members upstairs at the window also putting a red dot on the pizza guy's forehead.

I mean, I like firearms and all, but this guy was extreme. Made me realize I didn't want to live anywhere close to the area this guy lived in if he thought those kind of precautions were necessary. Course the other Americans at the table also felt it was extreme and mentioned that to us after the Doc and his wife left.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 01:59 PM   #97
NoMoreVauxhalls
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Disney World... tons of screaming children makes my skin crawl... but my daughter is approaching 5 years old and keeps asking when we're going to "Dimsey". Just had a newborn 2 months ago, it's a bit too early for us to go travel there for daughter's 5th bday. So thinking about potentially travelling travelling there for her 6th birthday in late fall 2023.
I predict that you'll return to this thread after your vacation and say... yes, it was expensive, but you had a great time and can't wait to go again

I've done Disney with the family multiple times from around 2001. Last time we did it was 2017 but the kids are grown now so we haven't been back since then. First time I was like you - especially when I saw how much it was going to cost. But now, I only have great memories of the place.

When we started going, we didn't have the apps and things that are around now, so we basically planned it out from brochures, and looking online; We never used 'vacation planners', and the last few times we went, we never needed that service as we knew pretty well what we were doing.

We've never stayed in the resort itself, mainly to keep the cost down. We generally stay in and around the International Drive area as it's a lively place with reasonably priced hotels. All of the hotels from there run regular, free shuttle busses to Disney and the other attractions. Not been there for five years, so hopefully that's still the same!

Another reason for staying in International Drive is generally because we don't only do Disney when we go - we normally also get tickets for Universal Studios, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens, too. Plus the missus liked the malls for shopping, etc.

We'd spend two weeks in Florida and probably visit Disney on four of the days, SeaWorld one day, Busch Gardens one day, Universal Studios one or two days, shopping on a couple of days, etc. In between each of these, we'd have a day or so just hanging at the hotel at the pool, or down I Drive, etc. It can be full-on, so we would need those days out just to chill, and plan for the next day!

If you're planning on going next year, then now is not too early to start planning things. To be honest, I've never booked the dining experience inside the resort, so not sure if now is too early to book. However, as you're thinking, a vacation planner will sort that side of things for you.

I'm looking forward to eventually returning to Disney with the grandkids lol.
Appreciate 3
BMWGUYinCO4047.50
wtwo317864.00
      06-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #98
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I mean, I think everything has been said...and you were the one that brought it up...

I have to ask - you aren't the same doctor by chance that wound up at our table in St. Maarten about 8 years ago were you?

This is the one who was extremely *American* I'll call it in an effort to be polite. This is the one who told us that he had motion sensor field on his property boundary that triggered an alarm inside the house if it was tripped, had stashed all sorts of firearms in various places in the house (didn't really care about that, I mean go for it, his kids were all in their teens) and a poor pizza boy who got the wrong house (his house) wound up staring down the barrel of one of his guns with one of his family members upstairs at the window also putting a red dot on the pizza guy's forehead.

I mean, I like firearms and all, but this guy was extreme. Made me realize I didn't want to live anywhere close to the area this guy lived in if he thought those kind of precautions were necessary. Course the other Americans at the table also felt it was extreme and mentioned that to us after the Doc and his wife left.
Not me. Never been there. My kids aren't 10yrs old yet either. And I don't have any type of alarm sensors in my yard. I have three killer dogs under 18lbs that will lick you to death. And, I'm not a prepper or firearms extremist. I just like to have self protection as allowed under the law. And finally, I've never pointed any weapon at anyone. Well I did once point a Nerf gun at another kid a long times ago, does that count.
      06-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #99
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreVauxhalls View Post
I predict that you'll return to this thread after your vacation and say... yes, it was expensive, but you had a great time and can't wait to go again

I've done Disney with the family multiple times from around 2001. Last time we did it was 2017 but the kids are grown now so we haven't been back since then. First time I was like you - especially when I saw how much it was going to cost. But now, I only have great memories of the place.

When we started going, we didn't have the apps and things that are around now, so we basically planned it out from brochures, and looking online; We never used 'vacation planners', and the last few times we went, we never needed that service as we knew pretty well what we were doing.

We've never stayed in the resort itself, mainly to keep the cost down. We generally stay in and around the International Drive area as it's a lively place with reasonably priced hotels. All of the hotels from there run regular, free shuttle busses to Disney and the other attractions. Not been there for five years, so hopefully that's still the same!

Another reason for staying in International Drive is generally because we don't only do Disney when we go - we normally also get tickets for Universal Studios, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens, too. Plus the missus liked the malls for shopping, etc.

We'd spend two weeks in Florida and probably visit Disney on four of the days, SeaWorld one day, Busch Gardens one day, Universal Studios one or two days, shopping on a couple of days, etc. In between each of these, we'd have a day or so just hanging at the hotel at the pool, or down I Drive, etc. It can be full-on, so we would need those days out just to chill, and plan for the next day!

If you're planning on going next year, then now is not too early to start planning things. To be honest, I've never booked the dining experience inside the resort, so not sure if now is too early to book. However, as you're thinking, a vacation planner will sort that side of things for you.

I'm looking forward to eventually returning to Disney with the grandkids lol.
Thanks for the insight. These forums are here for complaining In reality I'm sure once I've accepted my fate, I'll have a great time and make the most of it.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #100
NoMoreVauxhalls
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. These forums are here for complaining In reality I'm sure once I've accepted my fate, I'll have a great time and make the most of it.
Hahahaha I guarantee you will, and look forward to hearing your stories!

Good luck
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      06-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #101
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

$10 says he has a great time and the Mrs hates it.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #102
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
$10 says he has a great time and the Mrs hates it.
$10k might be worth it just for the "I told you so" moment alone.

Of course it'll still be my fault...

Appreciate 2
________4157.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      06-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #103
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Of course it'll still be my fault...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #104
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Remind the missus the disney cruise takes you to their private disney island for a private disney experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      06-27-2022, 08:09 PM   #105
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
I'm curious... besides the increased crowds... what else specifically is going on that's making Disney less and less attractive every year? I've heard a lot of mention of how it's getting worse.
It's the crowds. I mean, shoulder to shoulder. You even have to stand in line to take a piss! If you dare to. I mean, walking on piss covered floors is really a thrill. Not.

And I paid for this?

Never again.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #106
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
I'm curious... besides the increased crowds... what else specifically is going on that's making Disney less and less attractive every year? I've heard a lot of mention of how it's getting worse.
Just look at the posts from people actually trying to help you. It's a fucking essay. You need people who's only job is to help you manage this cluster fuck and then it's gonna cost you $10k-$20k apparently. Sorry, but if you need a vacation to recover from your vacation that's a job... a job YOU have to pay for the privilege to perform. I remember the last time we were at Disney which was probably right before covid maybe Jan 2020 (thats probably while the Disney hate is fresh on my mind). I had forgotten what a horrific place it was and got some resident deal that was fairly cheap. I think it was like $60/day or something, but they always have gotchas like you are forced to buy X number of days, non refundable you gotta pay like $25 for parking etc. Anyways I recall it took about an hour from the time we got into the parking lot to the time we were actually in the park. Plus we already had tickets, if we had to wait in the ticket line I'm sure it would have been 1.5 hours or more.

Now... there are pleeeenty of people who like doing weird shit I don't personally understand, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch to see what's wrong with going to Disney. I'm sure there are people who plan it for years and have researched all the special tricks or what not to optimally maximize their Disney experience. I'm just not that guy, I also don't have kids so I can afford to not be that guy. My planning typically involves looking online the week before I want to go somewhere. In 2019 we spent 5 months traveling all over the country without a single place booked more than a couple of days in advanced.

Also I don't believe it has always been like this. I remember going way back in the day and it wasn't that expensive or that crowded. I have vague memories as a teen going to Disney or maybe Universal and there being so few people we would just ride the same rides over and over again because there was literally no line.

Also a lot of the rides, at least at Disney, have not aged well or been updated in decades. Then the couple of new cool rides you actually want to go on are nearly impossible to get on.
Appreciate 2
Tyga113227.00
wtwo317864.00
      06-28-2022, 12:01 AM   #107
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Just look at the posts from people actually trying to help you. It's a fucking essay. You need people who's only job is to help you manage this cluster fuck and then it's gonna cost you $10k-$20k apparently. Sorry, but if you need a vacation to recover from your vacation that's a job... a job YOU have to pay for the privilege to perform. I remember the last time we were at Disney which was probably right before covid maybe Jan 2020 (thats probably while the Disney hate is fresh on my mind). I had forgotten what a horrific place it was and got some resident deal that was fairly cheap. I think it was like $60/day or something, but they always have gotchas like you are forced to buy X number of days, non refundable you gotta pay like $25 for parking etc. Anyways I recall it took about an hour from the time we got into the parking lot to the time we were actually in the park. Plus we already had tickets, if we had to wait in the ticket line I'm sure it would have been 1.5 hours or more.

Now... there are pleeeenty of people who like doing weird shit I don't personally understand, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch to see what's wrong with going to Disney. I'm sure there are people who plan it for years and have researched all the special tricks or what not to optimally maximize their Disney experience. I'm just not that guy, I also don't have kids so I can afford to not be that guy. My planning typically involves looking online the week before I want to go somewhere. In 2019 we spent 5 months traveling all over the country without a single place booked more than a couple of days in advanced.

Also I don't believe it has always been like this. I remember going way back in the day and it wasn't that expensive or that crowded. I have vague memories as a teen going to Disney or maybe Universal and there being so few people we would just ride the same rides over and over again because there was literally no line.

Also a lot of the rides, at least at Disney, have not aged well or been updated in decades. Then the couple of new cool rides you actually want to go on are nearly impossible to get on.
I have to agree. The experienced Disney poster recommended you plan meals 6 months ahead, read a Disney forum, wake up before 7am to plan your day etc.

This is madness. They should be paying you to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #108
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

All you guys do is spew negativity!

Jokes aside, I feel a bit for the OP, he is clearly not keen and we are berating the poor bastard but his hands are tied. I know this discussion, i know this argument, he is going, come hell or high water, and it is his job to figure it out, plan ahead, make sure everything is organised etc.

To give you some semblance of not feeling like Robinson Crusoe OP, my missus is super, super Covid nervous. We still mask indoors, don't do anything indoors we don't absolutely have to, kids mask at school, i get constant updates as to the long term effects of Covid etc, like she is super, super vigilant and nervous. And she was talking about us going to the Caribbean for a week in the fall. Like how? Planes, airports, washrooms etc.. .like how????? She argues it can mostly be done outside, I think she's stark raving mad and i've got to then deal with her paranoia all trip as she frets when the patio is full and we gotta eat and it has to be inside.

They are a different fucking species I swear.
Appreciate 3
wtwo317864.00
________4157.00
happyjack1657.00
      06-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #109
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

To give you some semblance of not feeling like Robinson Crusoe OP, my missus is super, super Covid nervous. We still mask indoors, don't do anything indoors we don't absolutely have to, kids mask at school, i get constant updates as to the long term effects of Covid etc, like she is super, super vigilant and nervous. And she was talking about us going to the Caribbean for a week in the fall. Like how? Planes, airports, washrooms etc.. .like how????? She argues it can mostly be done outside, I think she's stark raving mad and i've got to then deal with her paranoia all trip as she frets when the patio is full and we gotta eat and it has to be inside.

They are a different fucking species I swear.

She's going to have a nervous breakdown or a heart attack from the stress. You have to live. It's not healthy emotionally to live in such fear.
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2022, 12:23 PM   #110
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Lastly, I gotta say, while we still like DisneyWorld, because of all the above we much prefer DisneyLand in California - it's a lot more manageable and has just as many rides.
This for sure. We are very much a Disney family having done 10 Disneyland, 2 Disney World (and one coming up in September) and 1 Disneyland Paris trips with our girls.

I grew up in Northern California and did multiple trips starting in the mid-late 60's as well.

Disney, be it land or world, is one of those things in life that tends to be love it or hate it. While I definitely do not like how expensive it has gotten or a lot of the changes they have made (like dumping FastPass for Genie Plus), we have nothing but 100% positive memories of our trips.
wtwo317864.00
Closed Thread