2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Cigars anyone?

08-18-2022, 09:45 PM   #1
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Cigars anyone?

In a few weeks its going to be perfect cigar weather in the northeastern US. I can't wait to get a fire going in the backyard, make an Old Fashion, and enjoy a nice Oliva Serie O Corona under the stars!

Anyone else a cigar 'aficionado'?
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2022, 09:49 PM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I’m far from an aficionado, but I certainly enjoy a good cigar paired with a rye.

My biggest problem is I find one I like, but completely forget what I bought.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 05:22 AM   #3
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I remember a very long time ago my first divorce lawyer saying "a lay's a lay, but a good cigar's a smoke".......

I do enjoy sitting by the fire with a Cohiba and a whisk(e)y.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M5Rick58873.50
paquet629.50
      08-19-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Not an aficionado, but I do love a good cigar. I meet monthly with a group of guys for Cigars. I don't drink, but when I did my only drink with a stick was Glenlivet single malt scotch.
Appreciate 3
      08-19-2022, 07:07 AM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I’m far from an aficionado, but I certainly enjoy a good cigar paired with a rye.

I use an app called Cigar Scanner to track my likes/dislikes.
Appreciate 3
      08-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Yes, looking forward to my Padron and Glenlivet this evening on the porch!
Attached Images

Last edited by kscarrol; 08-19-2022 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
jargon193.00
      08-19-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
AVO's are my go to. Typically only smoke while casual golfing.

But, sometimes I'll go a little more rare.
Attached Images

08-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #8
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

^
Contraband!

Lol. Cubans are great.

Just had a cigar last night with my neighbour, good times. Also two pours of a 60%+ ABV single malt scotch. That did me in.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I use to be pretty into it. Converted a wine cooler into a large humidor. Now days I'll enjoy one every now and then. I have been more into my pipe lately. I tend to enjoy the pipe more as there's little to do to "maintain" the tobacco, theres a ton of variety and I can get stuff with much lower nicotine than a cigar and I like the fact I can control how much tobacco I put in it. So if I only want to be out an hour or less I can do half a bowl or what not.

I still keep some sticks around and will have one occasionally. When I was really into it I liked a lot of the sticks by Tatuaje and Drew Estates especially their Liga Privada stuff and Undercrown is still a go to. I was really into La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 08-19-2022 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 9
ShopVac4020.00
kscarrol8775.50
Tommy-G4467.00
DocL1922.50
overcoil3068.50
P111541.50
      08-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
^ Jealous of the Manhattan...may be more or less if you spill the Rye used.

Didn't realize above we had to post the drink with the stash...so (this is older, but my only photo with a drink and cigar). For reference, Ciroc blows, too florally. Not a top 5...barely a top 10.
Attached Images

08-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #11
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I use to be pretty into it. Converted a wine cooler into a large humidor. Now days I'll enjoy one every now and then. I have been more into my pipe lately. I tend to enjoy the pipe more as there's little to do to "maintain" the tobacco, theres a ton of variety and I can get stuff with much lower nicotine than a cigar and I like the fact I can control how much tobacco I put in it. So if I only want to be out an hour or less I can do half a bowl or what not.

I still keep some sticks around and will have one occasionally. When I was really into it I liked a lot of the sticks by Tatuaje and Drew Estates especially their Liga Privada stuff and Undercrown is still a go to. I was really into La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor.

Ok, I need your help then. I just recently got a pipe, fairly small bowl I'd say, and I cannot get it to stay lit. Is that normal? I'm talking about basically needing to relight each draw, assuming I give the pipe a break of a minute or two between draws.

If I try to emulate a chimney, it will stay lit (sometimes, sometimes not even that), but that's unpleasant.

I dribble the tobacco in to about the top, then tamp it with my fingers to about midway, take a bit of a draw (little resistance, kind of like a sucking through a straw sound I'd say), then dribble in to the top again and tamp in 3/4 ish, maybe a little more, and then fill to top again.

Then I do the false light / charring, let it go out, then light for real. I don't know what my problem is - is it how I'm packing it? Is it the bowl being small? Am I just an idiot maybe?

Tobacco doesn't feel wet, but I guess I could leave it out for 10-15 min next time...I just go from pouch to bowl right now.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #12
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Ok, I need your help then. I just recently got a pipe, fairly small bowl I'd say, and I cannot get it to stay lit. Is that normal? I'm talking about basically needing to relight each draw, assuming I give the pipe a break of a minute or two between draws.
Going back to my childhood on this...but I recall my grandfather lighting it all the time, even popping open the Zippo while driving

So may be normal. But can let someone with experience give their knowledge.
      08-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #13
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Last night was a Perdomo and Centenario Reposado neat on the back porch.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #14
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I'm an avid smoker. I enjoy two every night. Over the years my taste has mellowed a bit and I stopped smoking the heavy/bold cigars. I enjoy mostly Connecticut wrappers with light fillers. One of my favorites for many years was the Perdomo Factory Tour blend, but they are out of production. Lately I've been enjoying the PDM Shade and San Cristobal Elegancia. My favorite Cuban cigar's are H. Upmann. Whenever I go on a cruise I usually bring a few boxes back from one of the islands. They aren't as frequently sold as a fake Cuban.

I don't pair my sticks with any particular alcohol, but a nice cup of black coffee on a weekend morning with a cigar is my ultimate relaxation.
      08-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #15
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I typically smoke about four every weekend. One on Friday night then one for the F1 race and a couple at the pool, but during the pandemic I was smoking at least one a day. I'm finally scaling back to my old schedule.

I'lll have one or a few of the following
Pool side: Punch Gran Cru, R&J corona, RP Decade,
Race time: Padron anniversary, R&J Churchill,

Obviously smoking is banned in the condo and now that we got new patio furniture my smoking area has been moved to the end. However, sometimes we'll watch a movie out there and she'll smoke a Java robusto with me.
Attached Images

08-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #16
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post

If I try to emulate a chimney, it will stay lit (sometimes, sometimes not even that), but that's unpleasant.

I dribble the tobacco in to about the top, then tamp it with my fingers to about midway, take a bit of a draw (little resistance, kind of like a sucking through a straw sound I'd say), then dribble in to the top again and tamp in 3/4 ish, maybe a little more, and then fill to top again.

Then I do the false light / charring, let it go out, then light for real. I don't know what my problem is - is it how I'm packing it? Is it the bowl being small? Am I just an idiot maybe?

Tobacco doesn't feel wet, but I guess I could leave it out for 10-15 min next time...I just go from pouch to bowl right now.
I'm no expert as I have only been smoking a pipe for a few years. However here are some general things I have found in my case.

I prefer larger pipes, I have a fairly cheap Dr. Grabow that has a large bowl and I love it. I also have a fairly pricey (to me anyways) Savinelli that has a small bowl and I hate it. I think the larger bowls light better have better draw and in my limited experience are overall better.

I also use to be very careful on how I packed it with just enough pressure etc. I don't do any of that shit anymore. I just grab tobacco out of the bag and stuff it in there. I stuff it and push it with my finger stuff some more.

When I light it I just light it well the first time and take a few puffs make sure everything is good then I tamp it down and light it again. I find the tobacco and the environment have an effect on if it stays light or not. If I'm doing other stuff then I accept it will go out, happens to me with cigars also, if I don't tend to it in a long time they all go out.

That being said when I'm just sitting and smoking I try not to put it down that often. I leave it in my mouth and almost like take small puffs with the rhythm of my breath. Hard to describe. I will also occasionally blow out. When I do this I can pretty much keep it light and also not let it get too hot. There is a guy on YouTube that shows this technique and a lot of good videos on pipe smoking. His name is mutton chop piper and you should look him up on there. A lot more experienced than me and he goes full OCD on some stuff but good content in his old videos.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #17
gary_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 in a Maduro wrapper has been my go-to for 30 years.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #18
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Also prefer a pipe. Started to collect then and a couple yrs ago. Enjoy them particularly up in the mountains when it's cool outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 07:46 PM   #19
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post

Save those bands! My problem was that it took so long to develop the palate so I could distinguish a good cigar from a mediocre one.

There's a clear difference between a 'gas station cigar' and one from a proper cigar shop, but inside that cigar shop, it's overwhelming!

Tonight I've got an Flor de Oliva Gold. It's relatively cheap (about $7), but the last one I had was great - so was sure to remember! I'm trying the maduro so am hoping its good.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #20
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I remember a very long time ago my first divorce lawyer saying "a lay's a lay, but a good cigar's a smoke".......

I do enjoy sitting by the fire with a Cohiba and a whisk(e)y.
I like that! Cheers!
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #21
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Yes, looking forward to my Padron and Glenlivet this evening on the porch!
Right there with you!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #22
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I think my father made the switch from cigars to pipes. Never gave it much thought about how different the experience was.

I went to college with a guy who smoked a pipe. The man had class.
Appreciate 0