2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Diagnostics tool for DIY: DriveTrain Malfunction

04-25-2023, 03:38 PM   #1
SamyS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 550I, LCI , 2006 330i

Diagnostics tool for DIY: DriveTrain Malfunction

Hi Folks,
I am new to forum, so I may be asking question that already has been answered. So excuse me for that and please guide me.
I have 2014 550i Msport, 67K mls and I got drivetrain malfunction error. I drove back home appox 25+miles. What i noticed was car behaving as if it were running on a higher gear - so to counter, I manually shifted the gears to keep RPMs within 2K-3K. It has rough idle as well but not brutually rough either.

I'm DIY guy and educated through this forum. To diagnose, I spent hours at end and downloaded ISTA D 4.36.40 however it needs a hardware based license to proceed, so I"m looking to avoid that. I can afford but don't like the feeling of being trapped..

I read version 4.30 of ISTA doesn't require this license. is this correct. I'm in process of downloading that version but can anyone confirm if that software also needs license, (even if its a fixed key that someone can share)

I want to believe one or more of the ignition coils or spark plug is bad but I'm stuck on how to diagnose. I have ENET cable as well as DKAN cable that I use for my E90 330i.
Looking forward to advice and actively participating in this community.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
Jcope6565
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

I would check you Drive chain and guides. I had something similar happen. I changed it out myself. If that is the case its a time consuming but doable job.

Could be your plugs, coils, or crankshaft pos sensors but I would take it to get diagnosed so you can avoid trouble shooting for weeks like I did.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
Swordsman
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i, 2017 X3, 2003 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamyS View Post
Hi Folks,
I am new to forum, so I may be asking question that already has been answered. So excuse me for that and please guide me.
I have 2014 550i Msport, 67K mls and I got drivetrain malfunction error. I drove back home appox 25+miles. What i noticed was car behaving as if it were running on a higher gear - so to counter, I manually shifted the gears to keep RPMs within 2K-3K. It has rough idle as well but not brutually rough either.

I'm DIY guy and educated through this forum. To diagnose, I spent hours at end and downloaded ISTA D 4.36.40 however it needs a hardware based license to proceed, so I"m looking to avoid that. I can afford but don't like the feeling of being trapped..

I read version 4.30 of ISTA doesn't require this license. is this correct. I'm in process of downloading that version but can anyone confirm if that software also needs license, (even if its a fixed key that someone can share)

I want to believe one or more of the ignition coils or spark plug is bad but I'm stuck on how to diagnose. I have ENET cable as well as DKAN cable that I use for my E90 330i.
Looking forward to advice and actively participating in this community.
Have you scanned the codes yet?
Appreciate 0