2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 2016 535i xDrive, vibration when full lock (resolved)

05-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #1
twarpdev
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i xDrive

2016 535i xDrive, vibration when full lock (resolved)

I recently purchased a 2016 F10 535i xDrive with 110k km mileage. However, I've noticed that when turning the steering wheel fully at low speeds in a parking lot, there are vibrations throughout the car. This vibration feels like a skipping sensation, but only happens when I turn the wheel to the right direction. I conducted a test by lifting the front of the car and discovered that the issue only occurs when the car is on the ground and moving.

To address the issue, I have taken several steps. Initially, the used car dealer(Honda) installed brand new 20" Altenzo (a Chinese brand with good reviews) tires on BMW wheels during a safety inspection. However, since it was winter tire season, I replaced them with brand new 18" Michelin tires and second-hand BMW wheels. Despite the change, the problem persists, and now I switched back to the 20" all season. This leads me to believe that the issue isn't related to the tires or wheels. I then got a wheel alignment, but this didn't fix the problem either. Next, I replaced the steering wheel fluid with CHF11S, and although I pumped out almost 800ml, the issue remained.

Recently, I replaced the front rotors and pads and noticed grease around the control arm below the outer CV boot and and the caliper on the passenger side. I searched for any signs of ripped boots, but couldn't find any. Now, I'm considering replacing the passenger side CV axle to address the issue.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Update: Just checked the CV axle again, and compared with the driver side. Looking at the axles, the driver side is just superior quality and saw the GKN. But the passenger side no marking and all rusted and everything looks cheaper including the boot. I guess for some reason the previous owner changed the CV axle with the cheap after market.

I think I need replace the axle, but GKN is very expensive, it would cost me around $750 CAD.
I'm thinking GSP, any opinions please?

Last edited by twarpdev; 05-08-2023 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

My indy says that the symptoms you describe can be caused by transfer case oil being due for replacement.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #3
twarpdev
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNorm View Post
My indy says that the symptoms you describe can be caused by transfer case oil being due for replacement.

Good luck.
That's good to know, I will try to change that. However, looks like I need to take down the transfer case for replacing the fluid though.
Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarpdev View Post
That's good to know, I will try to change that. However, looks like I need to take down the transfer case for replacing the fluid though.
Thank you so much.
The official procedure calls to remove the transfer case. But if you look around online you’ll find people generally siphon out as much fluid as possible with it installed due to the amount of work required to remove the transfer case completely.

I’m planning on doing mine in the future, but just siphoning what I can, then driving a short time and doing it again in hopes I get as much of the old fluid out as possible without removing the transfer case completely.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
twarpdev
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
The official procedure calls to remove the transfer case. But if you look around online you’ll find people generally siphon out as much fluid as possible with it installed due to the amount of work required to remove the transfer case completely.

I’m planning on doing mine in the future, but just siphoning what I can, then driving a short time and doing it again in hopes I get as much of the old fluid out as possible without removing the transfer case completely.
That's exactly what I was going to do, there is no way I will take down the whole transfer case to drain the fluid. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
twarpdev
Canada
Rep

I was able to resolve the issue by replacing the CV Axle with a GKN brand. Once I made the replacement, the problem disappeared. I had also noticed that the pulling issue also resolved. My car was pulling to the right direction when I let go of the steering wheel, and I had the alignment checked twice without success. It turns out that the CV Axle was the root cause of the problem.

Now I need to tackle down the 100km/h~120km/h vibration. I'm planning on getting the road force balancing. I hope it can resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0