2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking to purchase a 535i. Got a few questions....

11-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Johnny128
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M5, X5

Looking to purchase a 535i. Got a few questions....

HI new to the forum. Im currently in the market for a 535i xdrive and debating between the sedan or gt. Leaning more towards the sedan but was curious what types of issues do these cars have? What should I look out for and what options are a must on these cars? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
rahdigga165
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny128 View Post
HI new to the forum. Im currently in the market for a 535i xdrive and debating between the sedan or gt. Leaning more towards the sedan but was curious what types of issues do these cars have? What should I look out for and what options are a must on these cars? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance
I say go for the sedan... you want to get something between 2014 and 2016 known as the LCI model, no more than 60k miles..anything over 60k, you gonna have to start looking into preventative maintenance like Fluids flush, plugs and maybe belts.

Without any doubt, the M sport package.

Must have options:
1. Harman Kardon sound option or ( Bang Olufsen) if you find one.

2. Paddle shifters (known as 2TB transmission)

3. Heads up Display

4. Winter package (depending on where you live)

5. Carbon black or Mineral white.

There's also interior trim, seats options and what not..but this is my personal must have.. just a suggestions for you.

You made the right choice of looking into the 535 xdrive. Its a fun reliable car, a lot of room for performance upgrades. never a dull moment when behind the wheel.

Am sure other members will chime in on their suggestions and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Sedan, definitely. And if bought right around 60-70k be prepared to address common failures. So either buy low miles or with higher but cheap. It is hard to find all the options in one but maybe you'll get lucky. For example a 2013+ I found it difficult to find one with comfort seats (was a separate option) , M Sport, Sport Trans, TOP HIFI sound, and HUD, any of the drivers assistance packages are a plus (they seems to be harder to find on F10). I was either it was M sport and nothing else or vise versa. Just gotta keep looking!! I settled for a 2012 because it had all the options I wanted but downsize is that it has CIC vs NBT in later years.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 11-27-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

One thing to remember is that these cars are extremely configurable and the individual options can make a material difference to your experience. Sales listings do not always do a good job of properly listing the options packages, but fortunately there are a number of great free VIN decoder sites online. For BMWs, these sites can provide the specific build information for that car including the build date, specific engine code, and all the options and packages.

Here's one to get you started:
https://www.mdecoder.com/

You just need the last 7 digits of the VIN for the car you're looking at. Honestly I would find it almost impossible to shop for one of these without a tool like this.

For whatever its worth, I have a 2016 F10 (mine is a 550i, but chassis is the same) and I really enjoy it. They're not sports cars, but if you get them with the right options they're really enjoyable to drive.

Good hunting!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahdigga165 View Post
I say go for the sedan... you want to get something between 2014 and 2016 known as the LCI model, no more than 60k miles..anything over 60k, you gonna have to start looking into preventative maintenance like Fluids flush, plugs and maybe belts.

Without any doubt, the M sport package.

Must have options:
1. Harman Kardon sound option or ( Bang Olufsen) if you find one.

2. Paddle shifters (known as 2TB transmission)

3. Heads up Display

4. Winter package (depending on where you live)

5. Carbon black or Mineral white.

There's also interior trim, seats options and what not..but this is my personal must have.. just a suggestions for you.

You made the right choice of looking into the 535 xdrive. Its a fun reliable car, a lot of room for performance upgrades. never a dull moment when behind the wheel.

Am sure other members will chime in on their suggestions and opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Sedan, definitely. And if bought right around 60-70k be prepared to address common failures. So either buy low miles or with higher but cheap. It is hard to find all the options in one but maybe you'll get lucky. For example a 2013+ I found it difficult to find one with comfort seats (was a separate option) , M Sport, Sport Trans, TOP HIFI sound, and HUD, any of the drivers assistance packages are a plus (they seems to be harder to find on F10). I was either it was M sport and nothing else or vise versa. Just gotta keep looking!! I settled for a 2012 because it had all the options I wanted but downsize is that it has CIC vs NBT in later years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
One thing to remember is that these cars are extremely configurable and the individual options can make a material difference to your experience. Sales listings do not always do a good job of properly listing the options packages, but fortunately there are a number of great free VIN decoder sites online. For BMWs, these sites can provide the specific build information for that car including the build date, specific engine code, and all the options and packages.

Here's one to get you started:
https://www.mdecoder.com/

You just need the last 7 digits of the VIN for the car you're looking at. Honestly I would find it almost impossible to shop for one of these without a tool like this.

For whatever its worth, I have a 2016 F10 (mine is a 550i, but chassis is the same) and I really enjoy it. They're not sports cars, but if you get them with the right options they're really enjoyable to drive.

Good hunting!
Thank you all for the response. I was looking at around 2011 to 2012 models. Possibly 2013. Are those years problematic? Yea the more I keep looking at the GT Im leaning more towards the sedan. Something about the GT that does seem appealing though like the pano roof and more cargo space.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Thank you all for the response. I was looking at around 2011 to 2012 models. Possibly 2013. Are those years problematic? Yea the more I keep looking at the GT Im leaning more towards the sedan. Something about the GT that does seem appealing though like the pano roof and more cargo space.
The early f10 had a slightly bloated look that was subtly improved with the 2014-16 LCI. It was also heavily criticized for its floaty ride and numb steering, as it was the first 5-er to have electric steering. LCI may have fixed this to some extent so the cars are different.

The standard seats are quite good, especially with the lumbar support available in the premium package, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Neither should the stereo as the upgraded wi-fi stereo which comes with a 535 is almost as good as the HK for normal use. I'm also not a fan of the M-sport option which is more of a styling option especially with the x-drive (standard suspension). I believe early years had hydraulic steering in the x-drive models as well as a manual transmission option in the 535i.

Good hunting.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60, F10 (535i)

Quote:

Thanks in advance
One further thought for you to consider.....I looked at the GT before getting my sedan. While I liked the look of the GT, when I test drove it I found the visibility out the rear and side windows to be poorer than the sedan. If you haven't driven one, give it a try and make sure you're comfortable with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

We have a 2012 and 2014 535i. The '14 is M-Sport, the '12 a base model. The '14 has the multi-contour seats and the '12 the base seats. Both are comfortable. The m/c seats have more adjustments and I find them easier to find a good driving position than the base seats. That said, we took the '12 on a 3Kish mile road trip and I was never uncomfortable. At that, any future BMW purchase would require the m/c seats. I would also require the 704 suspension (m-sport) and HUD. The (standard in the USA) top hifi stereo is fine for me as a car isn't a very good sound stage anyway.

We've only had leaks on the '12; the OFHG and valve cover gaskets. Other than that after 86Kish miles is tires, oil changes and gas. Over 52Kish miles the '14 has just had oil changes, gas and tires. IMHO you can't go wrong with the straight-6. I would get the newest model year you can afford.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would avoid 2011.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I would avoid 2011.
I have a 2011 and only if you find a very low mileage one I'd prob avoid it too... I picked up mine with 19k though babied by an older lady have it up to 45k now just oil changes so far. Once I hit 50k I plan to do a good service (plugs, fluids)
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
The early f10 had a slightly bloated look that was subtly improved with the 2014-16 LCI. It was also heavily criticized for its floaty ride and numb steering, as it was the first 5-er to have electric steering. LCI may have fixed this to some extent so the cars are different.

The standard seats are quite good, especially with the lumbar support available in the premium package, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Neither should the stereo as the upgraded wi-fi stereo which comes with a 535 is almost as good as the HK for normal use. I'm also not a fan of the M-sport option which is more of a styling option especially with the x-drive (standard suspension). I believe early years had hydraulic steering in the x-drive models as well as a manual transmission option in the 535i.

Good hunting.
Thank you and good info. Will keep that in mind when looking. I haven't really noticed the bloated look you are stating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcharger View Post
One further thought for you to consider.....I looked at the GT before getting my sedan. While I liked the look of the GT, when I test drove it I found the visibility out the rear and side windows to be poorer than the sedan. If you haven't driven one, give it a try and make sure you're comfortable with it.
I haven't driven one yet but just by looking at it I could tell it would be hard to see out the back or sides so thats a good confirmation. I may just settle for the sedan more I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
We have a 2012 and 2014 535i. The '14 is M-Sport, the '12 a base model. The '14 has the multi-contour seats and the '12 the base seats. Both are comfortable. The m/c seats have more adjustments and I find them easier to find a good driving position than the base seats. That said, we took the '12 on a 3Kish mile road trip and I was never uncomfortable. At that, any future BMW purchase would require the m/c seats. I would also require the 704 suspension (m-sport) and HUD. The (standard in the USA) top hifi stereo is fine for me as a car isn't a very good sound stage anyway.

We've only had leaks on the '12; the OFHG and valve cover gaskets. Other than that after 86Kish miles is tires, oil changes and gas. Over 52Kish miles the '14 has just had oil changes, gas and tires. IMHO you can't go wrong with the straight-6. I would get the newest model year you can afford.
Im just trying to stay within a certain budget and is why I was looking at those years I mentioned. I was even considering the older 2010 and lower but appears to have a lot of problems. I did hear the 2010 improved most of the issue but not all. Reason why I figured I go with the 2011 and higher but since a lot of people are stating to stay away from the 2011 I may just look at the 2012 / 2013 models.

Just curious whats wrong with the 2011?

Quote:
I would avoid 2011.
Just curious whats wrong with the 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
I have a 2011 and only if you find a very low mileage one I'd prob avoid it too... I picked up mine with 19k though babied by an older lady have it up to 45k now just oil changes so far. Once I hit 50k I plan to do a good service (plugs, fluids)
Finding low mileage here in California is pretty hard. Most of the ones Ive seen are around 100+ miles 2011 - 2013.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

The rule of thumb is you avoid first year editions.
2011 was the first year of f10.
For most this applies to the LCI also, that would be 2014.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #13
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
My 535i xdrive base was a 08/11 model. No major issues other then typical ofhg, valve cover, oil cooler gasket. Serp belt and tensioner. Rear main has a small leak cause valve cover has been bad for who knows how long before me. Only issue I have that is annoying is the 1-2 shift, just lurchy nothing to concerning imo. Other then that I got her at 84k miles currently at 98k still running strong even through the pulls I do when warm. I dont do dead stop pulls. Rarely a WOT pull. Just test drive and look for service records. Watch out for early 2010 builds as they had vanos timing bolts fail. Was recalled so make sure that was fixed if so. Other then that good luck on the perfect find it can be tough they are beautiful cars.
      11-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #14
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
That makes sense! Usually the last year has all the kinks squared away. I get it now. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
My 535i xdrive base was a 08/11 model. No major issues other then typical ofhg, valve cover, oil cooler gasket. Serp belt and tensioner. Rear main has a small leak cause valve cover has been bad for who knows how long before me. Only issue I have that is annoying is the 1-2 shift, just lurchy nothing to concerning imo. Other then that I got her at 84k miles currently at 98k still running strong even through the pulls I do when warm. I dont do dead stop pulls. Rarely a WOT pull. Just test drive and look for service records. Watch out for early 2010 builds as they had vanos timing bolts fail. Was recalled so make sure that was fixed if so. Other then that good luck on the perfect find it can be tough they are beautiful cars.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that about the 2010 models so thats new to me. Most of those you listed shouldn't be to hard to fix minus the rear main which needs to have the transmission dropped. I believe the turbo wastegate issues were resolved on these N55's correct? Or did they still have the issues like the older models?

All good info and thank you everyone for your insights. At least its a starting point on what to look out for on these when looking at them. I guess Ill keep an eye out for the 2012 / 2013 models since they are more in my price range.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:47 AM   #15
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
I have some rattle not to bad. Havent had any major issues with it.
      11-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
I have some rattle not to bad. Havent had any major issues with it.
Thank you for the response. Good to know its not extreme like the N54's. Last but not least are these engines needing walnut blasting in the intake cylinder runners as well? I haven't really seen much that the N55's needing it but figured I confirm.

Also got a question Im wanting the 535i xdrive with the pano-roof is that a certain package on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Good to know its not extreme like the N54's. Last but not least are these engines needing walnut blasting in the intake cylinder runners as well? I haven't really seen much that the N55's needing it but figured I confirm.

Also got a question Im wanting the 535i xdrive with the pano-roof is that a certain package on these cars?
I asked my SA about walnut blasting. He said they don't do it for the N55 unless all other drivability solutions have failed. He said the N55 is much better ventilated than the N54 and doesn't carbon-up nearly as much. Our '12 (actually it's my wife's car) still idles as smooth as glass; no driveability issues at all.

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 11-29-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Do a search for f10 ordering guide to see what was available.
I personally have never seen a sedan with pano.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Put aside 2k for services after purchase as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #20
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I asked my SA about walnut blasting. He said they don't do it for the N55 unless all other drivability solutions have failed. He said the N55 is much better ventilated than the N54 and doesn't carbon-up nearly as much. Our '12 (actually it's my wife's car) still idles as smooth as glass; no driveability issues at all.
Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know.

Quote:
Do a search for f10 ordering guide to see what was available.
I personally have never seen a sedan with pano.
Was hoping but i believe its only on the GT models. bummer

Quote:
Put aside 2k for services after purchase as well.
Yup will keep that in mind
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I had a '13 535i xdrive and I really enjoyed having it. The thing we all BMW is you want to look for services records that show services have been done and on time. When you go to test drive, test every button to make sure all the features work. And I'd personally invest in getting the car inspected at BMW (PPI) for that additional security.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #22
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
My 2011 has been a trooper bought it 2 years ago with 19k now has 42k never had a CEL or any issues. Running on map 5 JB4 for about 15k now and its solid as can be.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0