2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Soft Close slower than normal

09-15-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
UncleRashid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i xDrive M Sport

Soft Close slower than normal

Hello everyone,

my F10 is equipped with soft close doors from factory, When I was in the middle of closing the door and the actuator latched on I quickly opened the door again to grab something i left in the car (i acted very quick) and when I pulled the handle i heard a not so loud noise and when pulling the handle it felt similar to breaking a pencil in half. when I closed the door again, the soft close actuator latches on, but takes a couple seconds more to complete closing, and it's driving me nuts. I don't know exactly what could have happened to it, but the main thing is that it works, it's just a lot slower than before it happened. Does anyone know what could have happened and what i can do to return it to normal?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
kohsin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550ix

I had the same issue and exactly the behavior opening the door like you did couple times, too fast, and it caused the actuator acting funny..fortunately, dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. I am almost positive your actuator needs to be replaced unless you don't mind the slow closing.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Most likely the soft close unit is bad. It's very common for F10 to fail. I recommend pulling the fuse for it so it won't blow the fuse. It's a 10A in the trunk to on the right side.
Appreciate 1