2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 lci headlight failures and battery drain

11-08-2020, 12:47 AM   #1
rkl
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 e90 BMW X1 e84

F10 lci headlight failures and battery drain

2014 528i lci f11

So got a raft of warnings with adaptive headlight failure, sidemarker, low beam, vertical adjustment etc all for the left hand side.
No surprises, water in the headlight.
Suspect that I need a new module 63117440878.
A few questions, whats the most common point of entry for water, was a heavy downpour day.
Would such an issue cause a battery drain when stationary warning? Have had this come up after a few days and now daily (been just over a week)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl View Post
2014 528i lci f11

So got a raft of warnings with adaptive headlight failure, sidemarker, low beam, vertical adjustment etc all for the left hand side.
No surprises, water in the headlight.
Suspect that I need a new module 63117440878.
A few questions, whats the most common point of entry for water, was a heavy downpour day.
Would such an issue cause a battery drain when stationary warning? Have had this come up after a few days and now daily (been just over a week)
points of entry- the rubber gasket around the perimeter of the headlight along where the lense meets the headlight casing. This gets gooey over time and heat and allows moisture to get inside. Also, the "down vents" that are also made of rubber suffer from the same problem. Often they fall overtime with you having no idea just leaving a horizontal tube that would allow moisture on a high-humidity day to get inside.

Battery drain- This could be unrelated and just coincidental that it's happening at the same time. The headlight control modules get their power and switching through the FRM (the footwell module which also controls the door locks, window switches, and interior lighting). The FRM in turn gets power from one of the JBEs (Junction box, AKA power distribution box- There's one up front, one in the rear quarter panel, and one on the positive terminal of the battery). If functioning correctly, all 3 JBEs shut down (and of course all downstream modules powered by them) when the DME shuts down (typically a few minutes after doors are closed with ignition off)

EDIT- Question back to you. I've seen it happen in other BMWs that people will sometimes wire an accessory to the positive post up front in the engine bay (for lights, aux fans, etc...) and they don't realize that this post is a solid connection to the battery and is thus a constant 12v. If the accessory wired in isn't ignition-switched, it will stay on and cause this trouble code. So, do you have any accessory wired in to that post?

Last edited by 95blkmax; 11-08-2020 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

following as im having a very similar issue on my f06 and i do have lights wired to the possitive terminal/ i got a dead battery but its been replaced however still have a terminal 30b error and a tms module error/ not sure but i also think the faulty module on the headlight is throwing my electronics into mayhem/ i was hoping its just a fuse somewhere for my terminal 30b error but im going to get a new module anyway
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
rkl
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks for the response. Will take the light out on the weekend and try check those seals.
No accessories plugged in. Just a phone charger in the centre socket and a dashca. In the footwell socket.
Thought it could be the dashcam, but have had this in for about 6 months.
After driving today got the battery low start now warning. This is after a 30 min drive. Possibly alternator?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 05:51 AM   #5
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

i too am getting battery discharge errors even after long drives. i think the headlight tms being faulty is causing the system to crap out. I havent had chance to try switching my tms modules over before I try buying a new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 04:40 AM   #6
rkl
New Zealand
Rep

Update for this. after fixing the module, drain went away
Appreciate 0