2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Oil coming out of intake tube?

10-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
codymbrown01@gmail.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535XI

Oil coming out of intake tube?

I have a 2016 535i and upon removing the intake to get to the spark plugs I noticed oil coming out of a tube into the intake. The tube comes from the PCV valve area and goes into air intake tube. Is that normal? It's running really great so took me by surprise. Attached is a picture.

Also do my old sparks look ok even tho they have white on them? I heard this could mean it's running lean? 52k miles on them from factory.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

It's normal
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
To much oil passing through no. Failing PCV system can cause excess oil, you can reduce this replacing valve cover and using a catch can to contain it from going into intercooler and beyond in future. The catch can will not catch a lot with replacement valve cover with good pcv. Inside the pcv is a diaphram that can wear out which is the circle piece in the center of the valve cover.
      10-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #4
codymbrown01@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
To much oil passing through no. Failing PCV system can cause excess oil, you can reduce this replacing valve cover and using a catch can to contain it from going into intercooler and beyond in future. The catch can will not catch a lot with replacement valve cover with good pcv. Inside the pcv is a diaphram that can wear out which is the circle piece in the center of the valve cover.
Aren't their other symptoms if I have pcv failure? I heard it will cause stalling, rough idle or weird sounds. I don't have any of those symptoms though..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:26 AM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymbrown01@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
Aren't their other symptoms if I have pcv failure? I heard it will cause stalling, rough idle or weird sounds. I don't have any of those symptoms though..
It can eventually lead to that. The odd sounds come from the main seals blowing out basically. Mine was failing didnt have a rough idle, but would stumble when I pulled oil cap. Mine also had the odd sound and oil throughout the intake. Some user had oil all in there intercooler. What I can say is clean up the oil and check it later on, or just purchase a catch can to gather that oil instead of letting it flow through intake. If you are really concerned bring it up to a mechanic to see if they can check for you. Read this and decide for yourself its a early warning seeing oil imo.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...reather-system
      10-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
codymbrown01@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymbrown01@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
It can eventually lead to that. The odd sounds come from the main seals blowing out basically. Mine was failing didnt have a rough idle, but would stumble when I pulled oil cap. Mine also had the odd sound and oil throughout the intake. Some user had oil all in there intercooler. What I can say is clean up the oil and check it later on, or just purchase a catch can to gather that oil instead of letting it flow through intake. If you are really concerned bring it up to a mechanic to see if they can check for you. Read this and decide for yourself its a early warning seeing oil imo.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...reather-system
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50
      10-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Anytime! Thats what I'm here for to help others with things I've learned. I may not explain things to the best of way but I try. Hope the best for you in a solution.
      10-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

A couple of us had similar issues with excessive oil back to the intake. When I changed the valve cover and I flipped the old one around, there was like a half liter of oil pouring out, I felt like something is stuck and oil isn't going back down. I didn't have any PCV issue but a gasket leak.

Oil catch can is certainly a good way to reduce the gunk but I think the issue originates from the value cover, it's not a great design only bc it's expensive to replace.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50
      10-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
codymbrown01@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashpotato View Post
A couple of us had similar issues with excessive oil back to the intake. When I changed the valve cover and I flipped the old one around, there was like a half liter of oil pouring out, I felt like something is stuck and oil isn't going back down. I didn't have any PCV issue but a gasket leak.

Oil catch can is certainly a good way to reduce the gunk but I think the issue originates from the value cover, it's not a great design only bc it's expensive to replace.
I've been thinking of doing a catch can.. Thanks for all the advice and feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Does your car only have 52k miles on them? This is blow by... wouldn't think you'd have that much if you only have 52k miles.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Just a FYI, the breather tube aka heating element, should be removed via 2 screws on the intake pipe, and not removed via the clips on the valve cover.
This is highlighted as a warning in ISTA
      11-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

This is normal. I had something similar, but a bit less in the pipe, when i did my plugs a couple months ago at 69k on my 2016. Just cleaned it up and good to go.

Your plugs do appear a bit more fouled up than mine were though.
Appreciate 0