2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Samsung s10 bluetooth streaming

10-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Samsung s10 bluetooth streaming

Ok guys. Having a major issue here. I have used iphone forever and never had this issue.. I use spotify and stream to my 2013 F10 535. With iphone, it's never been an issue. Streams great. If I get a text or email, it "dims" the music but it STILL PLAYS. Decided to get a samsung s10 finally as its supported by MHD.

The phone it self is great and now my car displays texts and emails, which the iPhones never did. The issue I'm having though is the music KEEPS cutting out randomly for a sec or 2 and then plays back. Sometimes I can go through an entire song and sometimes it will cut out 5-6 times through out the song. It's definitely a bluetooth issue and definitely to do with the phone as the car is fine if I use an apple device

I know there are other people on here that use spotify and samsung. What are your experiences? I've done all the troubleshooting that I could find on the phone. Adjust battery monitor, clear phone cache, clear bluetooth cache, reset network, reset bluetooth, update phone etc etc.

Some else to mention, it happens even on my bluetooth jaybird headphones. Now I know its NOT the app as if I use the wired headphones, I have absolutely NO GLITCHES. Plays smooth.

Ideas? What I'm doing currently is using my samsung as a hotspot and I have an older iPhone 5c that's connected to the snap on kit in center console. I use that to play spotify but it's a pain.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Have you tried changing the bluetooth AVRCP version? 1.3 works best for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Now thats what i was looking to try but i cant seem to be able to change it. How did you go about changing that? I remember reading about that but couldn't find where to make the change. I'm up in Canada so not sure if there are any differences with the phones.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

actually i was able to google that. In case someone else wants to know, you go to
SETTINGS,
scroll to ABOUT PHONE,
click SOFTWARE INFORMATION
and tap BUILD NUMBER a few times. It will prompt you for your passcode and then activates DEVELOPER OPTIONS.

I will try V1.3 and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Is it possible that this is happening because of notifications playing? Perhaps try turning off notifications (set do not disturb mode) and see if you get the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So an update. I adjusted the AVRCP to 1.3 but still an issue. I tried
to adjust it to 1.6 and now my Jaybird bluetooth headphones work perfect. But car still will cut out.

Philipm785, I did consider notifications or perhaps the phone scanning for wifi so I put the phone in airplane mode with JUST bluetooth and still an issue. On my headphones now, when a notification comes in, the music will fade in and out BUT continues to play. In the car, the music will cut out for a second or 2 and there is no notification that I can see most of the times.

Now I did notice that BMW Software Update released an update earlier this year. I am going to try this later today and see of that makes a difference.
My current software is
Media - MN-003.009.004
phone - TN-003.009.004
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
caseyswavy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i

Any update on this? Interested in knowing because I too have an S10 and it does cut out for a split second from time to time
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So did the software update on the car and still having an issue. The interesting part is the software changed the tel and added another line but the media version is still the same.

I'm thinking I may do a full wipe of my phone to see if it makes a difference.. but not sure if that's the way to go as now my bluetooth headsets dont have this issue. Logically it shouldn't make a difference.

There is one more thing I'm going to try today. When the car connects to my phone, it has added features, like contacts, audio, calls. I'm going to remove everything and just keep audio and see if that makes a difference. Will update once i try that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyswavy View Post
Any update on this? Interested in knowing because I too have an S10 and it does cut out for a split second from time to time
It's actually very annoying as I could have my music nice and loud enjoying a good beat and its cutting out, sometimes 3-5 times in the same song.. what's more interesting is that there are A LOT of people out the with these phones and cars, and I couldnt find any updates or posts.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
It's actually very annoying as I could have my music nice and loud enjoying a good beat and its cutting out, sometimes 3-5 times in the same song.. what's more interesting is that there are A LOT of people out the with these phones and cars, and I couldnt find any updates or posts.
Try using every single AVRCP version. Between changes, you want to fully remove the device from the car bluetooth system. Start from the newest AVRCP version and go down from there. Also, you've removed the bluetooth service from battery optimization right?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Try using every single AVRCP version. Between changes, you want to fully remove the device from the car bluetooth system. Start from the newest AVRCP version and go down from there. Also, you've removed the bluetooth service from battery optimization right?
So I tried every setting for AVRCP. Completely removed from phone and car and added back and still cuts out.

I verified that both bluetooth and spotify are not optimized in battery settings. Like is said, I'm playing music via my wired headphones and not 1 glitch. Functions as I expected.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I tried every setting for AVRCP. Completely removed from phone and car and added back and still cuts out.

I verified that both bluetooth and spotify are not optimized in battery settings. Like is said, I'm playing music via my wired headphones and not 1 glitch. Functions as I expected.
Honestly not sure then. As a last resort, maybe see if an Indy shop can update your entire car? As in, flash all ECU's to the latest version.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Honestly not sure then. As a last resort, maybe see if an Indy shop can update your entire car? As in, flash all ECU's to the latest version.
The problem isnt the car. This happens on my bluetooth headphones too. I have Jaybird wireless headphones. If it was just the car, I'd say its worth doing a complete update I'm going to wipe my phone and reload from scratch. Remove all apps and just install spotify and see.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The problem isnt the car. This happens on my bluetooth headphones too. I have Jaybird wireless headphones. If it was just the car, I'd say its worth doing a complete update I'm going to wipe my phone and reload from scratch. Remove all apps and just install spotify and see.
Sounds like it's time to contact samsung. Your bluetooth antenna in the phone might be broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So I gave it a last ditch effort and factory reset the phone in case it was an issue with another app. With a complete factory restore, it seemed to work fine on the headset and I was excited. Took it to car and still doing it.... cuts out completely...wtf.
So I'll contact samsung tomorrow and see what they have to say..maybe it is hardware... I honestly cant imagine with the thousands of users with this S10 phone, spotify and the bmw F10, people actually live with this issue....its irritating...

I'll also update everyone... when I factory reset, I DID NOT RESTORE, but rather setup as a new phone. So had to add the connections to the car etc all over..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I gave it a last ditch effort and factory reset the phone in case it was an issue with another app. With a complete factory restore, it seemed to work fine on the headset and I was excited. Took it to car and still doing it.... cuts out completely...wtf.
So I'll contact samsung tomorrow and see what they have to say..maybe it is hardware... I honestly cant imagine with the thousands of users with this S10 phone, spotify and the bmw F10, people actually live with this issue....its irritating...

I'll also update everyone... when I factory reset, I DID NOT RESTORE, but rather setup as a new phone. So had to add the connections to the car etc all over..
It's definitely a hardware issue. I had a Pixel 3 XL and one day the bluetooth just went to shit. As in, I can sit on my phone and completely cut off the bluetooth connection to my headphones. Got it warranty replaced pretty easily, and my current phone is doing just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So just an update. Still having issues. Took the phone into a warranty center and they tested the phone and apparently the hardware passed. I had videos showing the issue I'm having with bluetooth cutting out and the guy says definitely not right BUT according to Samsung diagnostics, they cant do anything....

It's not spotify as if I plug in via the AUX cord, everything works as it should. Email comes in, music dims out but CONTINUES to play consistently.

Not sure what else to try. Going to call Samsung again and see what they are willing to do.

At this point, I've wiped out my phone completely and just used spotify with nothing else. And spotify comes preinstalled so I didnt even download it off the Play Store. Same issues..

Driving me crazy...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Also to note, my bluetooth headsets are cutting out as well. Still
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So just an update for all regarding this. I ran out of ideas so just left it as i got busy with other things. Samsung basically said there was nothing wrong with the hardware and they were CORRECT!!

I finally got the latest Android 10 with 2 UI update installed on my phone as it got released. ALL my bluetooth issues are now gone. The music plays as it should. I didn't change any settings prior to the update. The update installed and no more random cut out with bluetooth. Music plays properly and fades slightly when an email or text comes in AS IT SHOULD.

So it was an Android OS issue... What a pain as i dealt with this for over 8 months.

So if you are having issues, get the latest update. In Canada, the update was just released a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #20
ngiovas
Rep
Drives: F10

Thanks for posting this. I have been having the exact same issue with my Galaxy S10+ for months and it is really annoying. I use Google Maps or Waze on my way to work to avoid traffic. I play Spotify at the same time. Whenever a turn comes up, the music drops out, but you don't hear the instructions from the nav. It is really annoying.

I recently got the update on my phone, but haven't been driving the car since I was out of town for a few weeks. I will have to test it out with the update and see if I get the same results.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #21
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiovas View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have been having the exact same issue with my Galaxy S10+ for months and it is really annoying. I use Google Maps or Waze on my way to work to avoid traffic. I play Spotify at the same time. Whenever a turn comes up, the music drops out, but you don't hear the instructions from the nav. It is really annoying.

I recently got the update on my phone, but haven't been driving the car since I was out of town for a few weeks. I will have to test it out with the update and see if I get the same results.
Let us know how your situation turns out. Mine has still been functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

It's a power saving thing. Stupid Samsung firmware. I assume you mean Spotify is cutting out .. if so

- Open Settings
- Search for "Optimise battery usage"
- Click on "Apps not optimised" and select "All"
- Search for Spotify and disable battery optimization
- Done!