2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications EGR Coooler - Vehicle Safety Recall

04-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #1
scoundr3l
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10 M-Sport

EGR Coooler - Vehicle Safety Recall

Hi Everyone,

I am new today and was wondering if someone could be kind enough to provide some advice please?

My 520D 2016 saloon has been recalled for the EGR cooler software to be updated in order to support early detection of problems.

The car came with the standard business navigation unit in 2021 when I purchased it and I got the professional navigation retro fitted by a 3rd party as the previous system malfunctioned and stopped working. This was done with no issues and I was able to get full functionality and car history etc was able to be uploaded. To date the car has not exhibited any issues since this upgrade.

My local BMW dealership is telling me that because I have a different system in there now they cannot do the software upgrade and have advised that they will probably have to remove the professional one and put in a business one in order to do the software update. Is it me or is this a very unecessary procedure?

The error codes they are getting are as attached.

S03078 No communication possible with: Touchbox

Does anyone have any recommendations on this please?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Last edited by scoundr3l; 04-21-2023 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:41 PM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I had the same issue when going in to some work after I retrofitted a few things. I believe ISTA will refuse to code modules if they don’t all match the factory build info.
Appreciate 0