2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Squeaking after Trans fluid change?

04-28-2023, 08:39 PM   #1
Devosent
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i xDrive

Squeaking after Trans fluid change?

Hello everyone, I own a 2014 535xi and I recently did the tranmission fluid change. After the change was done I realzied that whenever my car was in park and I set it to drive a squeal will happen for a few seconds and then disappears and comes back whenever I'll stop the car and then accelerate. Did I not put enough despite it taking 4qts while the kit came with 7qts. I stopped at 4 while I noticed the the fluid was having a consistent flow out of the fill plug, turn the car on, opened the fill plug and still see it flowing out so I know I didn't put too much or too little unless if I did and I didn't realize. what could be the case? Little or too much fluid or was there air pockets inside the fluid while I was pumping in and I didn't realize. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:20 PM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
There’s a specific procedure that calls for having the vehicle level, wheels off the ground, going through certain gears and getting the temp to a specific range and then topping up again before considering the transmission full.

By any chance, did you use ISTA and go through the procedure while the computer was hooked to the car? Or use a scanner that shows the transmission temp?

There’s a few good YouTube videos out there with some good info.

Not saying you didn’t do it all correctly, just want to make sure you know there’s a specific process for the transmission fluid fill.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 07:10 AM   #3
Devosent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
There’s a specific procedure that calls for having the vehicle level, wheels off the ground, going through certain gears and getting the temp to a specific range and then topping up again before considering the transmission full.

By any chance, did you use ISTA and go through the procedure while the computer was hooked to the car? Or use a scanner that shows the transmission temp?

There’s a few good YouTube videos out there with some good info.

Not saying you didn’t do it all correctly, just want to make sure you know there’s a specific process for the transmission fluid fill.
Vehicle was as leveled as I could since the ramps were holding the rear of the wheels and the jack stands was holding the front. I do have ISTA+ on my laptop but I decided to use a Foxwell NT510 scanner and the temperature ironically enough was fine, I was shifting the gear selector and even went onto the "manual" mode and everything seems to be shifting just fine. The sound is probably coming from the torque converter so i'm assuming not enough fluid reached to the torque converter. I did top it off after I noticed a consistent flow after the 2nd time I filled it with transmission fluid. I guess it needed another bottle. It's not loud since the AC could drown out the sound but it's the fact that it's there is whats bothering me and I don't want to jeopardize the F10's life span just by being low by even a bottle or less of tranmission fluid. My mechanic said he'll take a look on monday so in the meantime I'm just driving around locally.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Ok, sounds like you did everything right. Personally I’d go through the process of going through the gears again and see if you can top it off anymore once it’s up to temperature.

Strange that the noise just started after the change, makes it sound like it has air trapped or something else simple going on causing the sudden change in noise as you’ve stated.

Let us know what they find if anything!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
Devosent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
Ok, sounds like you did everything right. Personally I’d go through the process of going through the gears again and see if you can top it off anymore once it’s up to temperature.

Strange that the noise just started after the change, makes it sound like it has air trapped or something else simple going on causing the sudden change in noise as you’ve stated.

Let us know what they find if anything!
On Monday my mechanic is going to lift the car and check for me, I have 3 spare bottles of Liqui Moly ATF 1800, I'm assuming not enough reached to the converter, Since Monday is coming up I doubt anything terrible will happen in a span of a few days, I've been driving for distances up to 45 min away and back and nothing bad happened. Temp is still fine and normal. I'll fill you in on what happens from that point on
Appreciate 1
SWFLf10373.50
      04-29-2023, 05:00 PM   #6
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devosent View Post
On Monday my mechanic is going to lift the car and check for me, I have 3 spare bottles of Liqui Moly ATF 1800, I'm assuming not enough reached to the converter, Since Monday is coming up I doubt anything terrible will happen in a span of a few days, I've been driving for distances up to 45 min away and back and nothing bad happened. Temp is still fine and normal. I'll fill you in on what happens from that point on
Any codes? I did mine a couple weeks back and all went well, a few hundred miles and no tranny code on my MHD from XHP. hope you get her straight.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:50 AM   #7
Devosent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post
Any codes? I did mine a couple weeks back and all went well, a few hundred miles and no tranny code on my MHD from XHP. hope you get her straight.
I did get one and it was the [420641 - Parking Lock defectively engaged] Code, I searched it up online and I wasn't getting the symptoms of my car setting to park by itself so I cleared it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 11:16 PM   #8
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

If I remember correctly the final fill needs to be done with the car running and at temp. I think I had anther quart top up after it was warm and running. This is after holding at 2000 rpm to fill the converter and shifting through the gears.

Make sure you don’t reset the transmission adaption values in ista.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I have similar issue. I got the kit from fcp euro, but I had couple quarts left of new fluid. So old fluid came out more than I could refill with new fluid. Since the fluid change, the torque converter make grinding noise. Sometime car will throw the code mentioned above and would not come out of park. Once I reset the code it will shift. On down shift, car jerks in 5th and 2nd gear. 😭
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #10
Devosent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
If I remember correctly the final fill needs to be done with the car running and at temp. I think I had anther quart top up after it was warm and running. This is after holding at 2000 rpm to fill the converter and shifting through the gears.

Make sure you don’t reset the transmission adaption values in ista.
That's probably what happened and Don't worry I didn't reset any values. My mechanic pushed the deadline for next Monday. Right Now it's driving smoothly but I'll fill in everyone on what happened.
Appreciate 0