2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Question about 535GTxi

01-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
BimmerSFo
BimmerSF
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMWs ONLY

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Question about 535GTxi

Hello,
I am thinking of getting the GT xi this summer probably for 2013 or 2014 model, trying to do a European Delivery in August pickup and had couple of questions.

what is the wheel offset for the 535M-Sport XI GT?

i see that there are absolutely nothing for this car as for
Front Lip
Rear lip
rear exaust valance....

would the chip or software fit from the F10 N55?

i would really like some help from you guys, as I am really thinking of this car for family use and would like some toys with it, just cant find anything at all!!!

thank you
'17 i3 ///'15 F02 B7///'14 i3 ///'15 F85 x5M///'15 F15 x5 50///'03 E39 540i///'08 E70 X5 4.8///'06 E60 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

August in Europe is peak vacation time for the locals...and, often when model changes occur, so you may be on the edge of model production.

Engine tweaks for the 550 will not work with the 535, although there are a few things for the 535, there aren't as many as for the 550. Personally, I find the 535 plenty, but there are lots of people that want more.

Check out www.tirerack.com to see what fits. While you may not choose one, they do give you the specs, and that can help determine what will fit from other manufacturers. Since all (?) recent BMWs are designed for RFT, they do not have a spare tire well, and any wheel you want should be capable of accepting a TPMS sensor, not all are.

I picked mine up in April, 2011, just before the airfare season change where the weather was cool, but the snow was gone. Spring there, is nice. Lots less competition at the tourist attractions, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
BimmerSFo
BimmerSF
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
thanks for the answers, appreciate it.

the reason why we are thinking in august is my fiancee will be switching jobs and thats the only time we could go and take a long vacation.

quick question as far as 535 and 535GT they have the same software tuning right?

thanks again!
'17 i3 ///'15 F02 B7///'14 i3 ///'15 F85 x5M///'15 F15 x5 50///'03 E39 540i///'08 E70 X5 4.8///'06 E60 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I would not count on the tuning to be exactly the same...the engine may be the same, but there could be other issues. Best to talk directly to the vendor. The vehicles weigh different amounts, the transmissions likely have different ratios, they'll have different intake and exhaust characteristics when installed in different platforms. Keep in mind, the GT is actually built on a 7-series (normal) wheelbase platform, not the 5-series sedan's, so there has to be changes.

August can be beautiful in Europe, but everything will be crowded. If you decide to go, make reservations early. Check out BMW's agreement with Luftansa on airfare...it an be cheaper, but the 'free' ticket is still subject to a hefty fuel surcharge, and that defeats my opinion of free (it is refundable and changeable, which may make it worthwhile, and depending on where you live, you might get a non-stop).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
BimmerSFo
BimmerSF
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
I would not count on the tuning to be exactly the same...the engine may be the same, but there could be other issues. Best to talk directly to the vendor. The vehicles weigh different amounts, the transmissions likely have different ratios, they'll have different intake and exhaust characteristics when installed in different platforms. Keep in mind, the GT is actually built on a 7-series (normal) wheelbase platform, not the 5-series sedan's, so there has to be changes.

August can be beautiful in Europe, but everything will be crowded. If you decide to go, make reservations early. Check out BMW's agreement with Luftansa on airfare...it an be cheaper, but the 'free' ticket is still subject to a hefty fuel surcharge, and that defeats my opinion of free (it is refundable and changeable, which may make it worthwhile, and depending on where you live, you might get a non-stop).
Hey great thank you!!!

So basically a 535GTxi is a 740i platform/engine right? Well somewhat?

Tickets to Europe not a problem as I have a lot of miles so basically just based on availability

But I'd like to find some software and or wheels by time I come back so the car doesn't look generic

Also maybe wrong forum but in any case, I could buy tickets way before and plan everything ahead before ordering the car right? I mean ill still have more than 3 months lead for ordering I'd just like to buy the tickets mid/end of feb and order the car as soon as there is a prod date for my14 car... Does that work?
Thank u on advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

THere's a period in between the end of production of the 2013's and the beginning of the 2014 models. When you order the thing, you get to chose a primary and two alternate delivery dates, but that's all dependent on being able to produce it. Occasionally, but not often, they may be booked up on a specific model, version, set of options, and you can't get it at all near the end of the year. The mid-cycle refresh is due soon...I do not know if it's coming for 2014 or not, but that may have some features you might want, or want to avoid...it's hard to say, and may not come for another year (I haven't been following it closely). My personal preference is to avoid a new model for at least a little time after production is started so they can work out any new kinks.

There aren't many GT's out there, so trying to be an individual isn't really that hard!

One simple thing I recently did was change the headlight switch to the European version that controls the (already there) rear fog lights. Where I live, having that extra set of lights on the rear can be a big safety feature as we do get some nasty fog and snow on occasion. All it took was swapping the switch. I also added an Invisihitch trailer tow bar and bought a RightConnections wiring harness while I was in England last fall. I use it primarily to carry a bike rack, but wanted the lights should I need to rent a utility trailer sometime. It also disables the rear PDC automatically, and enables the vehicles trailer stability logic when you have lights plugged in, so it will be safer verses the normal aftermarket patch to add this. BMW has not seen fit to offer the towing make ready on their sedans in the USA, so you have to get creative if you want to do it and obtain all of the vehicle's adaptations to it. It's fairly easy to get the trailer lights to work, but the rest is much more involved.

You need to discuss this with the dealer so you don't end up with tickets and they can't make the car you want when you're going to be there! As I said, August is nice in Europe, but it seems everyone is on vacation then, and some things aren't open, and reservations can be hard to get...plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0