2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Clear smoke coming out A/C vents

03-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #1
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW 535i M Sport

Clear smoke coming out A/C vents

Noticed a clear maybe slightly cloudy smoke and burning smell coming out of my vents and out from underneath the hood. Can't find really any oil in catch can or on the garage floor. Research says maybe valve cover gasket. I only have 58k miles, maybe just the rubber got old? Any ideas welcome.
      03-03-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

yea, that's the place to start. Check the valve cover gasket. Typically it drips down the passenger side and it smokes when it hits the hot exhaust it smokes up, and your AC vent is right over that area so it will suck that up into the cabin
      03-03-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
yea, that's the place to start. Check the valve cover gasket. Typically it drips down the passenger side and it smokes when it hits the hot exhaust it smokes up, and your AC vent is right over that area so it will suck that up into the cabin
That's exactly what's happening. Yay, might as well do new coils and spark plugs while I have it open.
      05-02-2022, 08:58 PM   #4
hurst01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i GT XDrive

I just finished the same job on my 2011 535X drive. I replaced the valve cover, oil filter adapter gasket, intake manifold gasket and Serpentine belt system with tensioner and idlers. I also changed the spark plugs, oil and antifreeze. It was getting smoke in the cabin at every red light and was stinking really bad.
The serpentine belt system was something else. I didn't realize my car had Dynamic Suspension and it had two idlers instead of one. Oil all over the front of the engine and when I washed it off I found at least 6 different holes that the idlers would go in. It took me HOURS to figure the correct placement of the idlers. If you change them pay close attention to where they go.
I spent several days doing it because of having to reorder serpentine belt parts but it is up and running now. I saved over $4000 by doing it myself.
FYI, FCP Euro has the best prices, original parts and free shipping.
It is not a bad job but very time consuming for everything I did. BTW, FCP Euro has some good DIY videos for reference.
Another thing... I have been in the automotive repair business for many, many years and I have forgot a lot. I have always been a stickler for replacing the intake manifold gaskets if they are disturbed at all. The intake manifold requires loosening/removal to get to the rear bolt on the oil filter adapter to change the gasket. I have seen a lot of YouTube videos where the person just loosened it enough to get to the rear bolt. I took mine off to raise it enough to replace the intake gaskets. My car has 67000 miles and the intake gaskets were just as soft as the new ones. I would have to reconsider installing new ones if done again. BUT, an intake leak is a major headache.
Yell at me if you need any pointers. BMW wanted about $1600 for the valve cover, $1500 for the oil filter adapter gasket and another $1500 for the Serpentine belt system. Then there was a lot if incidentals that would have to be done and paid for. Oh, I also changed out my battery. It was over 11 years old and had never been replaced. I have never seen a battery last that long. BMW wanted $600 for that. It cost me about $200.
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2022, 07:03 PM   #5
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurst01 View Post
I just finished the same job on my 2011 535X drive. I replaced the valve cover, oil filter adapter gasket, intake manifold gasket and Serpentine belt system with tensioner and idlers. I also changed the spark plugs, oil and antifreeze. It was getting smoke in the cabin at every red light and was stinking really bad.
The serpentine belt system was something else. I didn't realize my car had Dynamic Suspension and it had two idlers instead of one. Oil all over the front of the engine and when I washed it off I found at least 6 different holes that the idlers would go in. It took me HOURS to figure the correct placement of the idlers. If you change them pay close attention to where they go.
I spent several days doing it because of having to reorder serpentine belt parts but it is up and running now. I saved over $4000 by doing it myself.
It is not a bad job but very time consuming for everything I did. BTW, FCP Euro has some good DIY videos for reference.
Another thing... I have been in the automotive repair business for many, many years and I have forgot a lot. I have always been a stickler for replacing the intake manifold gaskets if they are disturbed at all. The intake manifold requires loosening/removal to get to the rear bolt on the oil filter adapter to change the gasket. I have seen a lot of YouTube videos where the person just loosened it enough to get to the rear bolt. I took mine off to raise it enough to replace the intake gaskets. My car has 67000 miles and the intake gaskets were just as soft as the new ones. I would have to reconsider installing new ones if done again. BUT, an intake leak is a major headache.
Yell at me if you need any pointers. BMW wanted about $1600 for the valve cover, $1500 for the oil filter adapter gasket and another $1500 for the Serpentine belt system. Then there was a lot if incidentals that would have to be done and paid for. Oh, I also changed out my battery. It was over 11 years old and had never been replaced. I have never seen a battery last that long. BMW wanted $600 for that. It cost me about $200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurst01 View Post
Fantastic info. Honestly I only drive it a few times a week and really hasn't been an issue. I do have replacement spark plugs and ignition coils ready to put on. I usually go fcp or ecs depending on the part. Time to order the rest though.
      05-04-2023, 09:29 PM   #6
EVO_F10
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

This thread is super helpful. I noticed white smoke coming from the vents when I pulled into my driveway the other day. I know where to begin looking if I see it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #7
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_F10 View Post
This thread is super helpful. I noticed white smoke coming from the vents when I pulled into my driveway the other day. I know where to begin looking if I see it again.
After driving around, if you notice it again, open the hood and look at the side of the engine on the passenger side. That’s where it tends to be most noticeable. You may see smoke coming from that area or even black burnt oil or a small pool of oil on the heat shield. The oil will tend to seep out of that side and drip down onto the turbo or downpipe, at least from my experience with my own car and a few friends cars with the N55 and other I6 BMW engines.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #8
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It was a valve cover gasket. Got the job done, no issues since. Not sure I’m gonna keep it so I’m just sort of babying it at this point.
      05-06-2023, 05:52 AM   #9
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
Thanks Fellas for the headsup🦾 im at 54k and im gonna try be ahead this curveball👍🏾
Appreciate 0