2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 2011 F10 Retrofitting Kafas and HBA

10-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #23
quicksilv86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 530d 2012 Pre LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by berndh View Post
Does the Kafas2 camera work with the Kafas1 ECU?

An does someone have the part number of the blue connector connecting to the ECU?

And what is the benefit of having Kafas2 above Kafas1? I only see downsides like you need to buy these expensive FSC codes.

Thanks a lot.
Hello,
For me, the Kafas2 camera should work only with Kafas2 Ecu.
Don't forget too :
- the shape of Kafas1 camera and Kafas2 camera is a little different.
- the windshield for Kafas2 has guides (to clip the camera) which are different of those the windshield for kafas1 camera has.

About the benefits of the Kafas2 camera, i paste an extract of the retrofit guide i have began but never finished :

What is KAFAS ?
For those who doesn’t know what KAFAS is, this is the camera (and the ECU of course) used, in BMW pre LCI F10/F11 and accordingly to Rheingold, to:
-turn automatically the headlights to high beam (5AC option),
-detect the road signs (8TH option),
- warn the driver (through vibrations in the steering wheel) in case he have crossed the line without activate indicator. This option is named “lane departure warning” (5AD option).
See here for more details.

KAFAS vs FLA
The KAFAS camera must not be confused with FLA camera. The latter is a “cheap” camera - located under the interior mirror - which allows only the 5AC option (i.e. High Beam Assist).

Few words on LCI models
KAFAS is became KAFAS2 with LCI models and the camera and the ECU have been upgraded in order to offer more functions, such Collision warning
Overtaking ban,Urban traffic accident prevention,Preventive pedestrian protection and Traffic jam assistant. This retrofit (i.e. KAFAS 2 retrofit) is a little more complicated exercise because a FSC code - provided by BMW directly or indirectly - is needed and the wiring is not exactly the same as PRE LCI, without forgetting the ECU, the CAMERA, the windshield which are not the same as PRE LCI.
See here for more details.

I Hope this helps.
Mods : 2TB SAT, LCI M steering wheel, paddle shift, 6wa Kombi, Kafas camera retrofit, 5AC (High Beam Assistant), 5AD (Lane Departure Warning),8TH (Speed limit info), LCI rear tail light, Individual Exterior Line Aluminium satinised, M351 19' wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #24
berndh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 525d

My car is pre lci (06-2013) but already should have the KAFAS 2. Since you have to buy the FSC codes I was thinking to install the KAFAS 1 instead. Not sure if that will work.

Does some one have the partnumer(s) of the blue connector which provides the Power and CAN connections?

Thanks
Bernd
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #25
quicksilv86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My car is pre lci (06-2013) but already should have the KAFAS 2. Since you have to buy the FSC codes I was thinking to install the KAFAS 1 instead. Not sure if that will work.

Does some one have the partnumer(s) of the blue connector which provides the Power and CAN connections?

Thanks
Bernd
I don't understand..If your car is a PRE LCI, you should have a KAFAS1 (and not KAFAS2) camera and ECU.
The first thing is to check your Kafas version, by following first this procedure here and then by releasing the screw as explained here.
Mods : 2TB SAT, LCI M steering wheel, paddle shift, 6wa Kombi, Kafas camera retrofit, 5AC (High Beam Assistant), 5AD (Lane Departure Warning),8TH (Speed limit info), LCI rear tail light, Individual Exterior Line Aluminium satinised, M351 19' wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #26
berndh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 525d

Well the kafas2 is not tight to lci or not. The kafas1 is replaced by kafas2 at a moment in time in 2012.

Therefor my car being a pre lci from 2013 it has the kafas2. If I select this in etkbmw I also get kafas2.

And I don't have any kafas yet as I want to retrofit it. And from what i read i am better of to retrofit kafas1 being it a pre lci but I wonder if it will work if my car actually wants the kafas2.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
quicksilv86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well the kafas2 is not tight to lci or not. The kafas1 is replaced by kafas2 at a moment in time in 2012.

Therefor my car being a pre lci from 2013 it has the kafas2. If I select this in etkbmw I also get kafas2.

And I don't have any kafas yet as I want to retrofit it. And from what i read i am better of to retrofit kafas1 being it a pre lci but I wonder if it will work if my car actually wants the kafas2.
I don't know sorry
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #28
dncomputech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520i 2016

Sorry for making this topic live again
I'm not lucky or do I lack something? Retrofit HBA F10 2015
Note: Currently I do not install the most HBA button on the steering cluster
This wiring diagram is partly because I make one part I get from (https://www.newtis.info). I make it my own car and I'm not responsible for it being compatible with other cars.
1. / loop wiring diagram
Mirror according to vehicle (factory) A60 has 3 wires like New Mirror position (Pin 3-6-10)
The new mirror has 6 positions, 3 of which are similar to the old Mirror. I searched on the newtis web. I speculated that position 4-5 was for K-Can2. But do not see foot position 9
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...stant/IzAprhcL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Elw...ew?usp=sharing

2. / Ignore foot position 9. I loop the wiring diagram for K-Can2 for position 4-5 that my car does not have, K-can2 is taken from the ECU Junction box

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10-s...ew?usp=sharing

3. / Programming FLA
Connecting the car to the open PC E-sys I saw ECU FLA3 (5f) but did not see the cafd
I did not write 5AC to my FA car, but I have my own FA which has 5AC (correct Vin my car) and activated. Read (VCM). Select ECU FLA3 >> Detect CAF for SWE >> select the latest one >> OK >> Code work successfully. I had CAFD for FLA3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1trT...ew?usp=sharing

I do not VO coding but I Edit FDL because NBTevo page with errors with Vo coding can only Edit FDL.

- ECU NBTevo
HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT >>> aktiv
But it doesn't work with my NBTevo. I aktiv but NBTevo Menu does not see any place to select High-beam assistant (Entrynav, there is High-beam assistant menu).

- ECU FRM
FLA_VERBAUT = aktiv
FLA_AUTO_AKTIV = automatisch

- ECU KOMBI L6 BO
ST_MAB_ASST_APPL = aktiv
ST_MAB_ASST_TIMEOUT = aktiv

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-VY...ew?usp=sharing

The results are all successful and the HBA icon appears in the watch (6WA). But when the vehicle was turned off and the car started again, it did not appear again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15hL...ew?usp=sharing

I have switched in the Auto-Off -Auto light switch that does not show up. I ran a test of a 60km / h section without appearing
Where do I miss, or where is it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:56 AM   #29
dncomputech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520i 2016

Welcome everyone. Update is how to activate HBA with the switch off switch. Thanks for the NCD TokenMaster comparison tool
Who can help me?
I Have Coding VO FRM, FLA3 after adding 5AC.
Conclude.
Only works very well after Coding times. It turns itself off when the engine turns on the next time, I also switch the A-Off - A light switch, it doesn't work again.
Note: I choose FDL FRM, do not edit the code (FDL after having 5AC), and HBA works again,
I decided to run the test to see if it worked. As a result, it works very well, turns itself on and off high beams according to traffic, but when it stops and starts again, it disappears.
I have read somewhere on forums of HBA activation commands
1. / FRM >> FLA_VERBAUT = aktiv
2. / FRM >> FLA_AUTO_AKTIV = automatisch
3. / KAFAS2 >> 3050 >> FLA_ON_OFF = aktiv
But I equipped the mirror in FLA3 so I couldn't find it
KAFAS2 >> 3050 >> FLA_ON_OFF = aktiv, and I also rummaged in FLA3 nor did FLA_ON_OFF or it changed to another code?
I also searched in FRM the following code
a. / 3000 FRM_VERBAU_U_ALLGEMEIN, 20
LIN_PUBU_TLC
nicht_aktiv (not active) = 00

Comment = BEFAS: Auswertung des Tasters TLC (Time To Line Crossing / Fahrspruverlassenswarnung) am Bedienteil Fahrerassistenzfunktionen

b / / 3050 FRM_AUSSENLICHT_PARAMETER, 30
FLA_TASTER_LIN
ueber_can = 00
Comment = 0 - FLA Taster Information wird über CAN-Bus eingelesen: SZL ---> FRM
1 - FLA Taster Information wird über LIN-Bus eingelesen: BEL -> FRM "
OPTIONS
ueber_can = 00
ueber_lin = 01
c. / FLA_BEL_POS
stufe_A = 01
Comment = 0: FLA will be activated if BEL is in POSITION AUTO or MANUAL LOW BEAM;
1: FLA will be activated if BEL is in POSITION AUTO
Blendfrei nur in A, da auch nur hier die AHL funktioniert
OPTIONS
stufe_A_und_II = 00
stufe_A = 01
But I'm not sure these commands can automatically HBA.
Does anyone know please show me
Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #30
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilv86 View Post
Yes, i've succeed Kafas 1 (not 2) retrofit.
Does the Kafas2 camera work with the Kafas1 ECU?

An does someone have the part number of the blue connector connecting to the ECU?

And what is the benefit of having Kafas2 above Kafas1? I only see downsides like you need to buy these expensive FSC codes.

Thanks a lot.
Restarting this thread.. first off the new KAFAS2 camera does not work with the KAFAS1 ECU.

I'm in the process of converting my pre LCI with KAFAS1 to new windshield/camera/ecu to KAFAS2. I currently have the CIC Nav and I've seen 2013 650i with CIC NAV and KAFAS2 camera/ecu setup so it should be doable.

My concern is the camera for kafas, they are different part numbers for almost all models and I presume this is because of slightly different angles of the windshield. Though the cameras have an adjustment screw on top of it. This makes me wonder if any of the newer cameras can be used after the manual adjustment of the camera angle. Does anyone know?

Secondly, for KAFAS2 with CIC, I'm assuming the FSCs are still needed (donor car had all options coded, ped detection, HBA, lane dept, etc..) and I also have an SLI emulator.

Since the wiring is pretty much identical between KAFAS1 and KAFAS2 (except heating connector for the KAFAS2 camera on the windshield), what else would be needed besides a simple swap and installing Emulator and also changing the FDL coding in CIC to select KAFAS2?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:24 PM   #31
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Update, should have posted a while ago...but I got the new windshield installed, KAFAS2 camera from a 3 series and a KAFAS2 module from an i8 and after coding KAFAS2 to car, FDL coding and VO coding modules with 8TH, SLI is working just fine. I don't think road sign detection is working though but have not had a chance to really try it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:07 AM   #32
cyber2354
Registered
Rep
Drives: f11

hi, anyone who already wirred kafas 1 to zgw module and coded f11?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:13 AM   #33
cyber2354
Registered
Rep
Drives: f11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teq View Post
You don't need a fsc for kafas 1 camera.
The kafas ecu is installed next to the zgw module. I can look up the wiring for you. What year and month is your car?
I'll check all the p/n. Give me a couple of days.

I'll also share my experience about the interior mirror.
hi mate ,
i also stuck wiring kafas 1 on bmw f11 2011 i need to conect wires to zgw module and code but i can t find nowhere a guide...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #34
dziurbajr
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 N47 TOURING

I have F11 from 2012.06 and I have already KAFAS2
I am looking now for fsc codes to activate 5AS.
Appreciate 0