2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Comfort Seats headrest question

05-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #1
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Comfort Seats headrest question

On my LCI comfort seats...the electrically adjustable headrest doesnt go down all the way on both seats...you can see the silver rails...however in this pic the passenger seat headrest is down all the way...as in flush with the seat.

Any idea how to do it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:13 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
On my LCI comfort seats...the electrically adjustable headrest doesnt go down all the way on both seats...you can see the silver rails...however in this pic the passenger seat headrest is down all the way...as in flush with the seat.

Any idea how to do it?
Hmmmmm......

Neither of mine go all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

The motorized assembly to adjust the headrest supports all F10 seat types.

The sport seat has a different backrest that sits higher (due to foam) and thus allows the sport headrest to sit flush to the backrest, as seen on US M5 M-sport seats. The headrests types are slightly different on the bottom of the headrests...and maybe bigger on the sport version, but I did not measure them.

At least on the LCI, the comfort backrest foam is thinner relative to the back seat frame, and doesn't allow the headrest to sit flush with the rear cushion.

If you remove the rear seat cover, you will find that there is no way to "modify" the assemblies to allow for a flush fit, unless you unclip both head rest rods from the motor rail, but then you'll loose the ability to electrically adjust the head rests, and the headrest may not even stay extended, and the head rest may wobble fore and aft...the motorized assembly provides up and down movement while limiting fore and aft headrest movement.

If you have active headrests, disconnecting any structure w.r..t the headrest is ill advised. On active headrests that have deployed, the headrest motor assembly typically fractures at one or more of the plastic cross member, and/or bend the metal screw rod, which both rendering the inability to adjust the headrest up or down.

If you disconnect the headrest from the motor assembly, there is a chance of possibly receiving a head injury beyond the intended "safe" level than what was intended if the headrest deploys, while not mechanically fixed to the motor assembly.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 05-25-2021 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:06 AM   #4
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey man thanks for the detailed info...however the pic I shared is of a LCI F10...thats why I was confused...for reference below is the video from where I got the pic...you can see it exactly at the 1 minute mark

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have LCI comfort seats in one car and LCI comfort and ventilated seats in another. The LCI comfort seats headrest sits flush while the comfort and ventilated seats does not sit flush. I measured them and the seats are not the same length and height. Comfort seats are longer and taller than comfort and ventilated seats by about 2 inches. The comfort seats are more comfortable the leather is more plush. Comfort and ventilated are more stiff.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      05-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
I have LCI comfort seats in one car and LCI comfort and ventilated seats in another. The LCI comfort seats headrest sits flush while the comfort and ventilated seats does not sit flush. I measured them and the seats are not the same length and height. Comfort seats are longer and taller than comfort and ventilated seats by about 2 inches. The comfort seats are more comfortable the leather is more plush. Comfort and ventilated are more stiff.
Ventilated headrest might not go down to make room for the fan assembly and associated hardware/wiring. I have active/ventilated comfort seats now and the headrest aren't flush either
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well mine are not ventilated and it does not go down all the way....this is getting interesting....

The first pic below shows the lowest my headrests go.

The second pic shows the seats I have and the third pic shows that the rail themselves are a bit curved...and looks like that's why its cant go all the way down. For those who say their headrests are flush can you confirm if your rails are straight or curved like mine?
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW FOREVER; 05-25-2021 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Both of my headrest are curved like yours. I was perplex in the beginning so I even pulled the entire headrest and motor apart. They are exactly the same for both of the vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Both of my headrest are curved like yours. I was perplex in the beginning so I even pulled the entire headrest and motor apart. They are exactly the same for both of the vehicles.
So then you are saying that on your non-ventilated seats even with the curved rails it goes all the way down?

Last edited by BMW FOREVER; 05-25-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Quote:
So then you are saying that on your non-ventilated seats even with the curved rails it goes all the way down?
Yes, the curved part goes all the way down. I think it's because the height of the seat back are not the same so there is a gap on the shorter one. The height difference is probably a foam design and not the frame. I think they share the same frame
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the curved part goes all the way down. I think it's because the height of the seat back are not the same so there is a gap on the shorter one. The height difference is probably a foam design and not the frame. I think they share the same frame
Hmm then since mine are non ventilated...it should go down all the way too. Not sure what I am missing at this point....

The only other thing I can think of is...between your 2 seats is there any difference in where the metal support goes inside the headrest? Looks like its adjustable based on the pic...
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW FOREVER; 05-25-2021 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

There's no adjustment that I could see when I pulled the headrest off. The headrest is attached to the motor with two spring clips. It also have 1 toed screw that stop it from going too far up but that's about it
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

To clarify mine; I have an LCI (2014) with comfort seats, no ventilation and "bent" supports. My head restraints do not fully retract into the seat.
Appreciate 0