2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications MHD corrupted my ECU

07-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #45
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Check this out...

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/m2h7..._content=photo

Wow I guess I was not the only one that they did this too...

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/m2h7..._content=photo
OMG if they totaled my car I guess insurance would have to kick in and have BH drop their pants on a M3.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #46
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Updates:

After speaking with a few wise BMW peeps. The problem maybe a couple of things.
1. SMF and spec 2 clutch caused a crankshaft error.
2. Helix Overdrive is beginning to bind and oil seepage is happening causing time chain slippage.
3. All of the above.

In either case, MHD didn't cause corruption to my ECU as they mentioned when I contacted them "it was purely coincidental".

The Helix one is killing me.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #47
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Updates:

After speaking with a few wise BMW peeps. The problem maybe a couple of things.
1. SMF and spec 2 clutch caused a crankshaft error.
2. Helix Overdrive is beginning to bind and oil seepage is happening causing time chain slippage.
3. All of the above.

In either case, MHD didn't cause corruption to my ECU as they mentioned when I contacted them "it was purely coincidental".

The Helix one is killing me.
👍
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #48
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Man this blows!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #49
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Man this blows!
Got the ecu to take a stock flash. The fuel module is not taking a flash reset so replacing that. Right now the car starts but dies after a few moments because of the ekpm. After replacing that fuel module we'll see about this potential Helix issue.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #50
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Got the ecu to take a stock flash. The fuel module is not taking a flash reset so replacing that. Right now the car starts but dies after a few moments because of the ekpm. After replacing that fuel module we'll see about this potential Helix issue.
So Helix overheated the fuel module? I wish there was a way to install the new style hpfp instead of this Helix which seems to have caused more problems than anything from what I hear. Even the guy I know with 335i is having bunch of issues related to or because of Helix.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #51
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
So Helix overheated the fuel module? I wish there was a way to install the new style hpfp instead of this Helix which seems to have caused more problems than anything from what I hear. Even the guy I know with 335i is having bunch of issues related to or because of Helix.
I don't think the HOD overheated the fuel module.

The helix is suspect right now so it's unconfirmed. The assumption is the Helix OD is binding causing timing chain slippage. This would cause the crankshaft sensor to not be synchronized. The crankshaft sensor is only used on start.

Which then points to the aftermarket SMF and clutch potential throwing off the Crankshaft sensor.

It's all unknown at this point. I'll have more info day by day.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #52
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
The dealer was able to flash the ecu back to an operational state however the crankshaft sensor is still there. Part of my problems were due to EKPS which is now replaced and fine. The error code for the crankshaft sensor remains even after all of that, but the car starts and runs without dying. Going to replace the CS sensor and see if the error continues.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #53
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
The dealer was able to flash the ecu back to an operational state however the crankshaft sensor is still there. Part of my problems were due to EKPS which is now replaced and fine. The error code for the crankshaft sensor remains even after all of that, but the car starts and runs without dying. Going to replace the CS sensor and see if the error continues.
👍 glad you got it running again
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #54
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Good news! So the Fuel pump control? Any idea why that went out?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #55
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Good news! So the Fuel pump control? Any idea why that went out?
It may have been due to the HOD. In all fairness my fuel module was original so not bad for a 10 year old EKP and the hell I put it through. Maybe in the tunes fuel request or both, hardware and tune. Really hard to determine at this point. However the EOS module might have to be an option if this new one dies again. I'll be working with D Shoup on this problem.

When I get it back I'm very nervous about flashing it again. I'm ordering the WiFi MHD adapter to speed up flash times. I'll be sure to click in the seat belt during the flash. I think part of my problem was the car did go to sleep during the that 24 minute flash back to stock time.

The crankshaft error was coincidental. I think lol. I'm replacing the CS sensor, flywheel and clutch so we'll see.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #56
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:

When I get it back I'm very nervous about flashing it again. I'm ordering the WiFi MHD adapter to speed up flash times. I'll be sure to click in the seat belt during the flash. I think part of my problem was the car did go to sleep during the that 24 minute flash back to stock time.
IMO - before you spend another dollar on anything tune related, upgrade MHD to the latest app version, fire it up and see if you can even flash it now. If the dealer applied the latest eStep, it will probably be locked and unable to be unlocked by MHD.

All of the flash tuners take advantage of exploits in the code in the ECU - same as rooting or jailbreaking your phone or game console, and usually a bad thing on your PC or Mac, but necessary for BM3, MHD and similar. BMW "fixed" it a while back.

I'll post more specifics if I can find them again.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #57
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:

IMO - before you spend another dollar on anything tune related, upgrade MHD to the latest app version, fire it up and see if you can even flash it now. If the dealer applied the latest eStep, it will probably be locked and unable to be unlocked by MHD.

All of the flash tuners take advantage of exploits in the code in the ECU - same as rooting or jailbreaking your phone or game console, and usually a bad thing on your PC or Mac, but necessary for BM3, MHD and similar. BMW "fixed" it a while back.

I'll post more specifics if I can find them again.
I've had my ecu bench flashed and if it's relocked I can have it unlocked again. Thanks for the heads up.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #58
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
It may have been due to the HOD. In all fairness my fuel module was original so not bad for a 10 year old EKP and the hell I put it through. Maybe in the tunes fuel request or both, hardware and tune. Really hard to determine at this point. However the EOS module might have to be an option if this new one dies again. I'll be working with D Shoup on this problem.

The crankshaft error was coincidental. I think lol. I'm replacing the CS sensor, flywheel and clutch so we'll see.

yes bro. More power being added puts more strain on the ekpm3. I was fine for years with the stock one. Even on custom tunes. Not till i started tuning for e50+ thst ekpm3 problem happened to me on the dyno. At that point i was clueless cause the car would shut off repeatedly. Then after a couple weeks would get worse. Its all on how much strain you put on the fuel system
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 1