2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivers side rear window switch?

05-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Black5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Drivers side rear window switch?

My car is a 2011 535i xdrive. This is kinda strange but from the drivers side I can't not put down the rear windows. The rear switches does not click downwards. I can pull up on the switch but not down. Can someone tell me if this is normal or not. I only had the car for about two months.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
mikeadams2k
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Sedan

Perhaps the rear window safety switch is on? It's just below the window switches on the driver's door and if the led is lit, the rear windows won't operate.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
Black5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeadams2k View Post
Perhaps the rear window safety switch on? It's just below the window switches and if the led is lit, the rear windows won't operate.
yeah I tried that switch too but still didn't work
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
mikeadams2k
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Sedan

Sorry I can't offer more. I've had my 528i for 3 weeks and there are many things I still have to learn about the car. I'm sure you're well ahead of me. Hope you get it resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The safety switches are only intended to keep the rear passengers from controlling the windows. The switches in the rear will still physically move up/down, they just wouldn't do anything. If the switch on any particular door isn't actually moving, or only allowing the window to work in one direction, it sounds like something is broken.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Black5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
The safety switches are only intended to keep the rear passengers from controlling the windows. The switches in the rear will still physically move up/down, they just wouldn't do anything. If the switch on any particular door isn't actually moving, or only allowing the window to work in one direction, it sounds like something is broken.
Yes I knew that the safety switch are only to prevent rear passenger control but I thought I'll give it a try anyways.

Again I'm talking about the drivers door rear window switches. Looking through it more, it looks like that's the way its designed. It only put the windows up. Also when the rear window are down and you flip the switch up and let go, it'll roll up all the way close. It does not stop when you let go. I see that as a safety hazard! Someone could have their hand or head out the window..

Last edited by Black5; 05-13-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i x-drive

Had same issue. It was almost as if rear window switch was jammed with something. Operated fine from the rear seats, just not from driver's location. Dealer replaced switch under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Black5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC F10 550i View Post
Had same issue. It was almost as if rear window switch was jammed with something. Operated fine from the rear seats, just not from driver's location. Dealer replaced switch under warranty.
I just dropped off the car. They said a metal plate fell off jamming the switches. Car is still under warranty so they'll change it.

So far owning my car for little over two months I've taking it twice for repair. First time a water seal fell off causing it to flood in rear passenger when it rains. Hopefully this nothing else falls off for a while..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
zou2k
Registered
Rep

The issue is the little chrome trim piece that is directly behind the controls for the front windows. I just purchased a 2011 535i and noticed the next day that I had the same issue. I was coming from an infiniti and all the obscure/counter-intuitive BMW features had me convinced that there was some trick I had not learned. Stopped by dealership because the service interval display was showing up incorrectly and asked if I was missing something regarding the windows. They dug around and got the piece out. Couldn't get it to stay on so ordered me a new switch assembly. Seemed like overkill, but its warranty work so who am I to complain.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5 View Post
Yes I knew that the safety switch are only to prevent rear passenger control but I thought I'll give it a try anyways.

Again I'm talking about the drivers door rear window switches. Looking through it more, it looks like that's the way its designed. It only put the windows up. Also when the rear window are down and you flip the switch up and let go, it'll roll up all the way close. It does not stop when you let go. I see that as a safety hazard! Someone could have their hand or head out the window..
Auto-up has been a BMW feature for years on all the window lifts. You can Google for the list of window-induced fatalities and amputations. There are none. The movement stops if the glass is impeded. Check it out for yourself (but, to be on the safe side, use something other than a body part for your experiment).
Appreciate 0