2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum WATER IN THE TRUNK - BATTERY SHORTENING 550iX

08-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

WATER IN THE TRUNK - BATTERY SHORTENING 550iX

Have you had water in your trunk where the battery rest?

550i 2012

I had disconnected the battery and left the trunk was slightly opened during some repairs. Even though the front of the car was lifted and the rear was in declined angle, a bit of rain water managed to get in the trunk.

There was a very thin layer of water under the battery it did not touch the battery or wires.

Before I noticed the water I attempted to reconnect the positive cable and shortened. I removed and tested the battery, it is not shortening.

Unless it is a huge coincidence the water caused damage/s. There is no evidence what components and wires the water reached. No obvious sign of oxidation, corrosion, rust spots, melted wires, actually all the wiring looks like new in excellent shape, nothing obvious. On this model all battery wires are on top, the rubber mat prevents the water dripping directly on top of the battery.

There are some electronic modules in the trunk near the brake lights , although there is no sign of water touching them, they are fairly protected from water, but more likely to have been damaged ? No custom modification was made, added, removed, original factory layout.

I bought supposedly (descent according to reviews on Amazon)
Short and Open Circuit Finder and Tracer, which will get this week , meanwhile because I am extremely inexperienced with Vehicle's electrical work, I came to ask for some guidance or similar stories, what are more likely to be the issue, if you had similar experience, please share.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

If you read the lines below, no need to mention what a moron I am, self judging myself already.

Turned out I had disconnected the alternator and left the cable to the alternator hanging loose unprotected and touch metal, tried to use the + line in the engine bay and caused a short.

Unknown yet if caused any damage to the electrical system, still working on other stuff, I am afraid to find out, will postpone as much as I can.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
cemdiesel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d M Sport F10

Question Water in rear passenger footwell and occasionally the trunk/boot of the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerroad View Post
Have you had water in your trunk where the battery rest?

550i 2012

I had disconnected the battery and left the trunk was slightly opened during some repairs. Even though the front of the car was lifted and the rear was in declined angle, a bit of rain water managed to get in the trunk.

There was a very thin layer of water under the battery it did not touch the battery or wires.

Before I noticed the water I attempted to reconnect the positive cable and shortened. I removed and tested the battery, it is not shortening.

Unless it is a huge coincidence the water caused damage/s. There is no evidence what components and wires the water reached. No obvious sign of oxidation, corrosion, rust spots, melted wires, actually all the wiring looks like new in excellent shape, nothing obvious. On this model all battery wires are on top, the rubber mat prevents the water dripping directly on top of the battery.

There are some electronic modules in the trunk near the brake lights , although there is no sign of water touching them, they are fairly protected from water, but more likely to have been damaged ? No custom modification was made, added, removed, original factory layout.

I bought supposedly (descent according to reviews on Amazon)
Short and Open Circuit Finder and Tracer, which will get this week , meanwhile because I am extremely inexperienced with Vehicle's electrical work, I came to ask for some guidance or similar stories, what are more likely to be the issue, if you had similar experience, please share.

Hi

I had the same issue except not only was my trunk wet inside my service history book was also ruined in the process. As well as my trunk gettin wet during the wet season I get alot of water accumelate in the rear passenger side footwell which can leave a smell as its drying up and thats the only parts of the car that accumelates water. I have never been able to work out why or what the problem is but my guess is that the drainage for the water to escape is blocked and now water builds up just in that section of the car. I have only suffered the wet trunk only once but I am guessing if its happened once it will happen again and the footwell keeps happening when it rains here on London.

I would be interested to know whether anybody else has come across this particular issue also

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Has the door panel ever been removed where the water is accumulating in the foot well? BMWs have had a history of water infiltration into the foot wells when the adhesive that secures the door's vapor barrier (aka "sound insulation") has failed...and water that runs down inside the door (normal)...runs inside the vehicle through the failed seal...instead of continuing to run out through the weep holes in the bottom of the door.

If you've had the panel off for any upgrades/mods/fixes...recheck the seal that holds the vapor barrier to make sure water isn't gaining ingress into the interior through the break in the seal.

The rear door vapor barrier (aka sound insulation) panels are #8 in the diagram and link to the part nbr index below:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-15-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
trt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Water damage. In 2017 a class action lawsuit was settled against BMW for the following: alleging BMW of North America LLC and Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW AG) manufactured and sold certain BMW 5 Series vehicles with a defect that allowed water to enter the vehicle and cause damage to certain electronic components stored in the spare tire well.

To read more look up "BMW electronic component water damage class action settlement"

Unfortunately, it only covered 2004 - 2010 5 series and its pass the time to file a claim. On 12/11/19 my 2012 528i died on the freeway at 1:00 am, lost all power, brakes, steering, etc. I'm looking at $2,000+ to replace all the damaged components. BMW claims I spilled liquid in the truck which is absolutely not true or that rain got in the truck, again highly unlikely. Given the fact, what I've experienced is identical to the reason the class action lawsuit was brought, I believe BMW of San Diego is trying to cover up this design flaw. I'm pursuing other avenues.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

You are talking about the E60, which has a compartment for a spare tire.
They located some modules at the bottom of that compartment. The F10
is not designed the same way.
You don’t mention what was damaged so we can’t really help much.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Had water getting into the trunk of a customers car and after testing, we found that both grommets that hold in the outer tail light trim were rotted out and leaking. Water was in the trunk floor, side trunk space and even eventually leaking forward towards the rear floor. Replace both grommets and has been dry ever since. May want to check those out on an F10.
Appreciate 0