2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum No visibility of gear number with automatic Drive?

10-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Series 5 520d se f10

No visibility of gear number with automatic Drive?

Hi everyone,

Having driven my car (520d SE 2010 - automatic gearbox) for the past 2 and half months, I noticed that there seems to be no information available on the dashboard to tell me what is the current gear number when I am driving in normal or sport automatic Driving mode Unless, I use the paddle shifts or the manual gear shifts.

It would be nice to know at what gear it is engaged like 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. I used to drive Mercedes cars in the past few years, and with Merc, you do get to see this info even if you are driving in full automatic mode...

Is there a way to see the gear number when driving on auto? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help.
Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico2014 View Post
Hi everyone,

Having driven my car (520d SE 2010 - automatic gearbox) for the past 2 and half months, I noticed that there seems to be no information available on the dashboard to tell me what is the current gear number when I am driving in normal or sport automatic Driving mode Unless, I use the paddle shifts or the manual gear shifts.

It would be nice to know at what gear it is engaged like 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. I used to drive Mercedes cars in the past few years, and with Merc, you do get to see this info even if you are driving in full automatic mode...

Is there a way to see the gear number when driving on auto? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help.
Nick
You can do this through coding. I've had it on my 205 transmission 535xi before, but don't have it coded right now. When coded to enable, you'll see S1, S2, S3 in DS mode.

There may be some variation depending on some other options in your car (such as whether you have the Comfort/Sport rocker switch) but some have obtained the S1,2,3 behaviour by replacing 205 with 2TB in the FA and coding to EGS, EWS, KOMBI and ICM.

Others have had to add EGS / 3000 Applikation / Sportschalter_alt (Not just Sportschalter) = aktiv / Werte=01

If you don't know what any of this means, start reading up on coding or find someone to code for you
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
You can do this through coding. I've had it on my 205 transmission 535xi before, but don't have it coded right now. When coded to enable, you'll see S1, S2, S3 in DS mode.

There may be some variation depending on some other options in your car (such as whether you have the Comfort/Sport rocker switch) but some have obtained the S1,2,3 behaviour by replacing 205 with 2TB in the FA and coding to EGS, EWS, KOMBI and ICM.

Others have had to add EGS / 3000 Applikation / Sportschalter_alt (Not just Sportschalter) = aktiv / Werte=01

If you don't know what any of this means, start reading up on coding or find someone to code for you
Thank you for the advice! I know what you mean about codings. Shame that it is not standards IMO...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:48 AM   #4
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi, I just discovered (sorry but still new with my car) that you can actually put the automatic drive to sport mode by pushing it to the left and it will then change to S1 or S2 or any other speed you are at when doing this. If I do not touch the gearbox then, the gear changes automatically so I can view what gear it is automatically choosing... Never thought it could do this as I thought pushing the gearbox to the left would be for manual change of gears. So it does answer my question to an extent, but I would have to move from D (normal drive) to Sport drive to do this... Glad it can offer this option!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:36 AM   #5
Lehan
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 323i BMW F25 xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

Hi what code is it, I have vo coded 2TB but I can’t get S1 to S7 after shifting to DS, it just shows DS, is there additional coding in ICM or KOMBI that I have to do?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 05:08 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehan View Post
Hi what code is it, I have vo coded 2TB but I can’t get S1 to S7 after shifting to DS, it just shows DS, is there additional coding in ICM or KOMBI that I have to do?
I don't remember precisely any more than what I wrote previously. Several years ago I opted to flash with xHP which, IMO, is all kinds of good and improves the actual driving experience and not just displays on the dash. It also shows S1-8 in sport and D1-8 in normal driving (Alpina behaviour).
Appreciate 1