2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2019: Russian GP - Sochi (Sep 29)

10-03-2019, 05:09 AM   #155
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
No matter how good Vettel is, its clear that CLC is way faster.
He also has a good personality which makes him also likeable...compared to the entitled bellend that is MV.
Until both are in the same car in the same team then who is faster between CLC amd MV is moot.
A harsh spat on Max,in what way is he entitled.
Being fast and having race pace to win are two different things and it's because Seb has partly helped with the development of the Ferrari that Lec is enjoying poles and good pace so it's just plug and play for the lad, no wonder he smiles like a cheshire cat.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #156
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
For an eg: The time in Austin where he went completely off the track to pass Raikkonen for third and then whined at the stewards for giving him a penalty and "ruining racing".
Apparently having to stay on the track is unfair!

Quote:
Being fast and having race pace to win are two different things and it's because Seb has partly helped with the development of the Ferrari that Lec is enjoying poles and good pace so it's just plug and play for the lad, no wonder he smiles like a cheshire cat.
Why shouldn't the guy be happy...he regularly outqualifies Vettel by around 4 tenths of a second. If the car was indeed just "plug and play" you have to question why Vettel is so far off his team mate's pace.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #157
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
For an eg: The time in Austin where he went completely off the track to pass Raikkonen for third and then whined at the stewards for giving him a penalty and "ruining racing".
Apparently having to stay on the track is unfair!

Why shouldn't the guy be happy...he regularly outqualifies Vettel by around 4 tenths of a second. If the car was indeed just "plug and play" you have to question why Vettel is so far off his team mate's pace.
The car chassis as a whole is set up for under steer as benefit for Lec while Seb prefers the oversteer,that's why.
With the big upgrades to the external and internal aero they're both much faster and Seb pushing to get to the front early seemingly made him out of reach as demonstrated in Sochi but for component failure..
Read up on some of the underlying things on other sites to get some more scope of things before making judgements.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #158
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
The car chassis as a whole is set up for under steer as benefit for Lec while Seb prefers the oversteer,that's why.
With the big upgrades to the external and internal aero they're both much faster and Seb pushing to get to the front early seemingly made him out of reach as demonstrated in Sochi but for component failure..
Read up on some of the underlying things on other sites to get some more scope of things before making judgements.
Just to clarify, if I remember correctly, the car isnt set up to favor Leclerc over Vettel. It's just that they way the car was developed for this season has a tendency to suit one driver over the other with its handling characteristics.

I think that's what you may have been alluding to, but I wanted to point it out explicitly to avoid any confusion
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      10-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #159
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Just to clarify, if I remember correctly, the car isnt set up to favor Leclerc over Vettel. It's just that they way the car was developed for this season has a tendency to suit one driver over the other with its handling characteristics.

I think that's what you may have been alluding to, but I wanted to point it out explicitly to avoid any confusion
I see what you say and this was known well before hand while Lec was coming up the ladder with Alfa being Ferrari engined.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #160
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I see what you say and this was known well before hand while Lec was coming up the ladder with Alfa being Ferrari engined.
Am I correctly interpreting your comment to mean that the Alfa that Leclerc drove last year was designed to suit Leclerc over Ericsson? And that its the same case this year with the Ferrari over Vettel?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #161
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Rammed from behind and then rammed from the side -

Quote:
It is never pleasant when you get hit from behind whatever the circumstances
....and intentionaly rammed from the side

10-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #162
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

LEC is enjoying poles and good pace so it's just plug and play for the lad??

Quote:
"Lec is enjoying poles and good pace so it's just plug and play for the lad"

In LEC's own words, he said he lost control of the Ferrari 3 X during the Singapore Quali 3 lap....it does not appear that "plug and play" aligns with the difficulty to place an F1 machine on the edge of tire adhesion....the "plug and play" description diminishes the art of the top F1 pilots.
      10-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #163
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Am I correctly interpreting your comment to mean that the Alfa that Leclerc drove last year was designed to suit Leclerc over Ericsson? And that its the same case this year with the Ferrari over Vettel?
No and probably no lol.Exactly not to suit Lec over Ericsson but my point is it must have been known to Ferrari what his preferred car style was before coming to Ferrari and they would keep that in mind..I didn't mean to necessarily build it 'exactly' to suit him.
In any case the car HAS the understeer making Lec a whisker quicker in quali
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #164
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
No and probably no lol.Exactly not to suit Lec over Ericsson but my point is it must have been known to Ferrari what his preferred car style was before coming to Ferrari and they would keep that in mind..I didn't mean to necessarily build it 'exactly' to suit him.
Thanks for the clarification! I suppose Ferrari would have know what Leclerc's driving preferences were but I highly doubt they took precedence over Vettel's. Vettel was their #1 driver going into the season and a known quantity compared to Leclerc. One would assume they did their best to tailor the car to Vettel.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year with car development and who it end's up ultimately suiting more.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      10-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #165
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
"Lec is enjoying poles and good pace so it's just plug and play for the lad"

In LEC's own words, he said he lost control of the Ferrari 3 X during the Singapore Quali 3 lap....it does not appear that "plug and play" aligns with the difficulty to place an F1 machine on the edge of tire adhesion....the "plug and play" description diminishes the art of the top F1 pilots.
There are many definitions to 'lost control' and not crashing.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #166
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification! I suppose Ferrari would have know what Leclerc's driving preferences were but I highly doubt they took precedence over Vettel's. Vettel was their #1 driver going into the season and a known quantity compared to Leclerc. One would assume they did their best to tailor the car to Vettel.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year with car development and who it end's up ultimately suiting more.
I thought someone said Vettel was developing the car, why would he develop a car to suit Lec?

However the car ended up, I don't think it was intentional.
Apparently Vettel only helps develop the car's positive attributes but not the bad ones and Lec owes the fast car to all of Vettel's hard work.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #167
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Perhaps you forgot....

Quote:
There are many definitions to 'lost control' and not crashing.
....so here's the definition of "lost control" in LEC's own words

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...apore/4545444/
      10-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #168
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I thought someone said Vettel was developing the car, why would he develop a car to suit Lec?

However the car ended up, I don't think it was intentional.
Apparently Vettel only helps develop the car's positive attributes but not the bad ones and Lec owes the fast car to all of Vettel's hard work.
No that's not what I said,Vettel helped develop it partly since joining the Scuderia though the team decides what overall would make the car perform better
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #169
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
....so here's the definition of "lost control" in LEC's own words

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...apore/4545444/
Losing control temporarily doesn't mean a guaranteed crash.
The youngster is over excited of the moment he got pole.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #170
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Yeh at the end of every quali lap he says wow I lost control a bunch of times and messed up the last sector, kind like Hamilton when he says I have no more tires and then puts in 4 fastest lap lol
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58879.50
Bartledoo2690.00
      10-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #171
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Remember when Lecry was frustrated crashing into barriers and other cars and driving at full speed with a puncture f**ing his floor in Monaco? Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #172
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Toto has said Merc recent lack of pace and upgrades is due their their focus on 2020 car. Which makes sense, they have had the championships locked up for some time. Although some minor upgrades are arriving for Suzuka.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #173
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Let us know....

Quote:
Losing control temporarily doesn't mean a guaranteed crash.
The youngster is over excited of the moment he got pole.
....when you can "guarantee" a crash
      10-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #174
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
....when you can "guarantee" a crash
Only you could work that out personally in your Z4 but I wouldn't advise it.
Nice car btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #175
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
No that's not what I said,Vettel helped develop it partly since joining the Scuderia though the team decides what overall would make the car perform better
Vettel "helped develop" the car only in the sense that every race car driver does, which is to provide feedback on how the car drives and in what areas he would like to see improvements. He has essentially zero influence on the basic philosophy of how the car is designed or developed during season excepting in possibly setting basic desirable targets for the how the car should perform.
The idea that Ferrari should design this years car with CLC driving preferences in mind is absurd. As is the idea that CLC is faster than Vettel because Vettel doesn't like the way the car drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #176
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Vettel "helped develop" the car only in the sense that every race car driver does, which is to provide feedback on how the car drives and in what areas he would like to see improvements. He has essentially zero influence on the basic philosophy of how the car is designed or developed during season excepting in possibly setting basic desirable targets for the how the car should perform.
The idea that Ferrari should design this years car with CLC driving preferences in mind is absurd. As is the idea that CLC is faster than Vettel because Vettel doesn't like the way the car drives.
Well that depends what he helped develop,you and I don't know what though.
He is not paid $36M just to sit on his a$$, don't you think?? and it's a fact that he was slightly slower because of the dynamics of the car from what I have seen and read.
The difference has been negated, more so in race form to an extent now because of the super straight line speed, engine and more adaptive downforce to play with.
Vettel has said ''far more options are available now than were before'' and he's not kidding lol
Appreciate 1