2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions 688 Harman Kardon retrofit

06-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 & F15

688 Harman Kardon retrofit

If something that I hate most is a BMW with poor sound system and since mine came with Top Hifi (missing the rear door panels speakers) I decided to retrofit to HK.

1. Pretty straight forward replacing all the existing speaks with HK ones.
2. I end up sourcing on ebay 2 rear door panes, I end up removing my leather and use only the cutoff plastic from the donor ones and glue back the leather (could`t find color match).
3. Fun part: running fiber optic from the trunk all the way to the dash and loop into the cluster.
4. BMW made the same color wires from Top Hifi to HK so rewiring was pretty easy. Just need to run wires to the rear door panels.
5. Coding: remove the 676 (top hifi) & 679 Subwoofer HiFi System and adding 688.

Last thing to do is the find how to wire the small cooling fan ...
Attached Images

Last edited by koanga; 06-16-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

What would happen if one coded in the HK system without changing the speakers?
Appreciate 1
zrile91.00
      06-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

burn the speakers? don`t know. I`m sure HK ones are more poweful
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
lmero27
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by koanga View Post
If something that I hate most is a BMW with poor sound system and since mine came with Top Hifi (missing the rear door panels speakers) I decided to retrofit to HK.

2. I end up sourcing on ebay 2 rear door panes, I end up removing my leather and use only the cutoff plastic from the donor ones and glue back the leather (could`t find color match).
3. Fun part: running fiber optic from the trunk all the way to the dash and loop into the cluster.
4. BMW made the same color wires from Top Hifi to HK so rewiring was pretty easy. Just need to run wires to the rear door panels.
5. Coding: remove the 676 (top hifi) & 679 Subwoofer HiFi System and adding 688.

Hi koanga , i need to help a friend coding a HK amp on a f10 , yust need to remove 676 e 679 and add a 688 ?? an after that need to code HU_NBT ?
That's all or i need to do someting else ?

Thaks !
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmero27 View Post
Quote:

Hi koanga , i need to help a friend coding a HK amp on a f10 , yust need to remove 676 e 679 and add a 688 ?? an after that need to code HU_NBT ?
That's all or i need to do someting else ?

Thaks !
Yes, all you need to do I to change the VO and code the NBT, I end up coding the entire car using ista/p after, just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
starlights
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
If something that I hate most is a BMW with poor sound system and since mine came with Top Hifi (missing the rear door panels speakers) I decided to retrofit to HK. ...
How is the sound? Was it worth the upgrade? Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
Quote:
If something that I hate most is a BMW with poor sound system and since mine came with Top Hifi (missing the rear door panels speakers) I decided to retrofit to HK. ...
How is the sound? Was it worth the upgrade? Any issues?
Night & day difference! No issues what so ever
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Eisbaer Lars
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E65 750i; F10 550ix sedan

Pls clean up your PM mailbox - can't send you PMs anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport

Quote:

Random question mate, after the install did you manage to get the plastic support frame back in place? I have retrofitted the TRSVC with surround view and since installing it I can't get the plastic support back in as the surround cables foul it. Yours in one of the only threads I've seen with the same setup as me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvG View Post
Quote:

Random question mate, after the install did you manage to get the plastic support frame back in place? I have retrofitted the TRSVC with surround view and since installing it I can't get the plastic support back in as the surround cables foul it. Yours in one of the only threads I've seen with the same setup as me.
You're referring in the trunk? Yes. All nice and tidy, everything was put back in place
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah in the trunk. For love nor money I can't get the plastic frame that sits over the amp and TRVSC back in place. It just bends the cables to the point it could damage them. It seems like the TRSVC module is sitting too high in my case. Did the wires cause any resistance for you or does it just pop back in nicely?

On looking closer at one of your pictures it looks as though the frame and TRSVC are angled out towards the body of the car, almost like I would have to bend and push the frame outwards. I'm gonna give that a try and see if it makes some room for the support.

Last edited by DayvG; 02-12-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah in the trunk. For love nor money I can't get the plastic frame that sits over the amp and TRVSC back in place. It just bends the cables to the point it could damage them. It seems like the TRSVC module is sitting too high in my case. Did the wires cause any resistance for you or does it just pop back in nicely?

On looking closer at one of your pictures it looks as though the frame and TRSVC are angled out towards the body of the car, almost like I would have to bend and push the frame outwards. I'm gonna give that a try and see if it makes some room for the support.
I did left the amp cables a little longer, not sure if that helped, but like I told, no issues, all bolted back like factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep

Its the video cables that are in the way. At least I know that it should fit now and that I need to work on it to get it all in as it should be. I hate having bits left over or bits that don't fit! Thanks for your help bro, that's a job for the weekend after I've finished retrofitting my park assist; new PDC and JBE arrive tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its the video cables that are in the way. At least I know that it should fit now and that I need to work on it to get it all in as it should be. I hate having bits left over or bits that don't fit! Thanks for your help bro, that's a job for the weekend after I've finished retrofitting my park assist; new PDC and JBE arrive tomorrow

I`ll do the park assist soon, having difficulties sourcing the fender sensors. I didn't knew that a JBE is required also ...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep

So it turns out that if you have a PMA from factory you have a separate PDC module. PDC on non factory Park assist cars have the PDC built into the JBE. Now as luck would have it the new PDC module lives right next to the JBE. The pinout is slightly different and the new PDC needs a KCAN2 feed as well and supply and ground. You have to replace the JBE for a non PDC version as well. I have the new pin out if and when you need it. Also, I have a spare gen2 PMA module I bought as I thought the one I had wasn't working. Happy to sell to you for what I paid if you want it (€100) I got a great deal on the sensors, fender trims and PMA module on eBay 6 months ago. The hardest part is running it all through the firewall but I did it at the same time as fitting my side view cameras.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
Socom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535Xi

Looks awesome! how is this different from the S677A HiFi System Professional DSP model?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #17
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsm1114 View Post
Looks awesome! how is this different from the S677A HiFi System Professional DSP model?
Not sure how's the $677 sound system is.... the logic7 is one step down from b&o
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #18
marvel.marv
Rep
Drives: '17 G31 540ix, '16 F36 420i

What is the length of the optic fiber from the dash to the amp?

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #19
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel.marv View Post
What is the length of the optic fiber from the dash to the amp?
8ft at least.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
oldwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550iX, 2008 550i

2014 F10 550iX

I have a 2014 BMW F10 550iX. Really love the car but unfortunately the sound system is the HiFi version (option S676A). Would like to upgrade to the TopHifi Harman Kardon system. Can you supply some more details about running the fiber optic cable from the amp to the head unit. For example does the cable plug into the amp and also into the back of the head unit? I see there are OEM BMW fiber optic cables available for about $40 from several suppliers. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #21
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwiz View Post
I have a 2014 BMW F10 550iX. Really love the car but unfortunately the sound system is the HiFi version (option S676A). Would like to upgrade to the TopHifi Harman Kardon system. Can you supply some more details about running the fiber optic cable from the amp to the head unit. For example does the cable plug into the amp and also into the back of the head unit? I see there are OEM BMW fiber optic cables available for about $40 from several suppliers. Thanks.
All you need to to do is run 2 fiber optic cables all the way to the head unit or hud.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #22
koanga
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwiz View Post
All you need to to do is run 2 fiber optic cables all the way to the head unit or hud.
At the head unit you'll see the arrows pointing for the fiber (in & out). Take the out fiber from the main unit socket and plug the fiber that goes to "in" into the amp. The fiber that your just disconnect from the main unit, pair/bond with the "in" that's coming from the amp (the other one.
Appreciate 0