2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Emergency - Need Help To Manually Release Parking Brake on 2011 550i

06-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
don_mayor
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Emergency - Need Help To Manually Release Parking Brake on 2011 550i

hello wonderful ppl,

i bought a 2011 BMW 550i that only came with the metal key, key fob is missing.

i have managed to put the car in neutral, but the parking brakes have been engaged. How do i release the parking brakes.

I have removed all the carpet in the trunk and looked for the parking brake string to no avail.

can someone please help me locate the parking brake release harness.

Another question, option #2, can i have the stealership program a new key fob?

thank you,
DoN
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Parking brake is electronic. Without the fob, you have no way to disengage it normally.

You'll need to take the rear wheels off, remove the parking brake actuator, and then use a torx bit to unwind the parking brake manually.

Yes, you can get the dealer to program a new fob as long as you have documents proving you're the owner of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #3
don_mayor
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Parking brake is electronic. Without the fob, you have no way to disengage it normally.

You'll need to take the rear wheels off, remove the parking brake actuator, and then use a torx bit to unwind the parking brake manually.

Yes, you can get the dealer to program a new fob as long as you have documents proving you're the owner of the vehicle.
thank you for your response, i went ahead and ordered the key fob alone for the stealership, $400.

for now the tow truck driver using a wench to pull the car out of the trailer, i'm hoping no damage to the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
eghmsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport 6sp manual

I dont remember the correct size, maybe a 8mm, but yiu can use a metric allem wrench to back the piston out for parking brake for each side.
You remove the parking brake actuator with the 2 torx screws to get acess then the hole is in the center of the caliper for the parking brake piston. When you do have a programed key fob and you activate the parking brake you will get an error.

You will have to use wheel chocks to keep it from rolling though.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
ceka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d 11'

that's quite hefty for a key.

You could remove the CAS, send it over to someone who set it up with a key, way cheaper..

This is the key that I bought, they set it up locally for $150 usd
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294094664890

Found this service, but have to ask about what options you have without a working key.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29434083714...EAAOSwJRxhxExU

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_mayor View Post
thank you for your response, i went ahead and ordered the key fob alone for the stealership, $400.
Appreciate 0