2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Godspeed lowering springs

01-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #23
MI SO FST
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: SC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUWK View Post
You can see from the pictures above; i was shipped the short shock by mistake, the car was almost two inches lower than stock, when maxxed out on the height adjustment.

Info: shock body specs are...
240mm body / 97mm travel (for the short shock)
270mm body / 117 travel (for the longer shock)

Factory says 30mm minimum thread engagement on the rear, about 40-50mm for the front.

They ship a shorter sway bar link with the kit as well, that is about 40mm less in length

The comparison between the OEM and Godspeed is there to see (mind the fact that the height was not set on the coilovers yet)

With the correct length shocks installed, the car sits perfect, (it can be adjusted as needed) and it rides very comfortably on smooth roads.
There is more road noise transferred to the car when going over bumpy roads, but compared to my e46 and e36 lowering spring setup, by far the best compromise.

Cheers,

(attached pic is before the correct shock was installed. I had 20mm thread engagement, and a 10mm shim on the top of the strut mount)
I was looking into getting these coilovers as well but now I am worried about what you said about getting the short body shocks by mistake. You mentioned that the swaybar link was also shorter so am I right to think that its not suppose to be and that the swaybar like with the right long body shock should have the same length swaybar link as the factory one?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #24
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI SO FST View Post
I was looking into getting these coilovers as well but now I am worried about what you said about getting the short body shocks by mistake. You mentioned that the swaybar link was also shorter so am I right to think that its not suppose to be and that the swaybar like with the right long body shock should have the same length swaybar link as the factory one?
No, you need a shorter or longer sway bar link depending on your drop. I had to go shorter than factory for my KW v3's. If you use a factory length link when dropped, you'll end up losing a lot of mechanical advantage for the sway bars and thus have worsened body control.
Appreciate 2
COUWK21.00
EV8634.00
      01-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #25
Blue Angel
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Not to mention the sway bar sticking out below the car, vulnerable to road debris.
Appreciate 1
COUWK21.00
      02-09-2022, 11:52 AM   #26
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 535d xDrive (e36,e46,f48)

Quote:

If you get shipped the wrong shocks, just contact GodSpeed, they will sort it out. I received the replacements free of charge and delivered under two weeks.
From my measurements above, you'll be able to tell what you have, right or wrong, before you even start the job.
My pain was your gain

As for the sway bar links; yes they are shorter than OEM due to the mechanical differences in the shocks/base mount point.
In the picture below (pardon my grade school crayon drawing ) you can see how the OEM mount flange is higher up, hence the shortened link requirement.

Really happy with the coilovers overall.
Cheers,
Attached Images

Last edited by COUWK; 02-09-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
EV8634.00
      02-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #27
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 535d xDrive (e36,e46,f48)

Quote:

Also, was going to add a comment about the sway bars..

Changing the height of your car changes the handling dynamics and since the sway bar is used to counter body roll, upgrading it could benefit you.

Lowering or raising your car will not affect your sway bar other than changing it's rest position. (it could hang lower if you raise your car, higher if you lower it, really depends on it's shape)
I does not get loaded more or less with equal ride height change; side to side motion (body roll) will load or unload forces on the opposing side.

In this specific case since, the link mount point is lower on the shock itself, and as a result the sway bar (ends) would sit much lower and could make contact with road stuff (speed bumps, etc.)

I'll try to take a picture to show how even these shorter ones stick further than i would like. I'm not sure how OEM looked as i didn't get any pictures before i swapped.

Cheers,

Last edited by COUWK; 02-10-2022 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 2