2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Turn off auto ON AC when turing ON car

08-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Turn off auto ON AC when turing ON car

Hate it when the AC is ON when I turn on the car. Even if i turn off before turning OFF car, it still turns ON to slow speed when ignition is ON.

Is there a way in iDrive or Coding to disable this? Am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

By default, it does not remember last state. You have to code it to remember last state. You have a coded car :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ammin View Post
By default, it does not remember last state. You have to code it to remember last state. You have a coded car :-)
I am using Carly for coding. For some reason I did not see this option on the code list.

Where/how can I code this?

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge..._campaign=home
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Bruno112
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 530d MSport

IHKA Module:

A/C System Remembers Last Setting
3000 OFF_MEMORY set to aktiv

Iam not sure for Carly but with standard coding with esys is possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

I kinda have the same mental issue u have. I sometimes hate it too. Lol

try to turn off the AC about 5min (while driving home) before turning off the car. I noticed if I turn ac off then ignition off it won't consider that a command.
      08-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Not to nitpick - it's important to separate "the AC" (the snowflake) from the entire HVAC system when getting into specific coding. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but coding is "nitpicky". When you say "the AC always comes on", when I read it I'm not certain whether you mean the snowflake, or the system.

It drives me nuts that all the newer bimmers (mid 2000s+ at least) are always turning on the snowflake in auto mode. On my E39 the system was fully automatic (if you chose) but it was always up to the driver whether to turn on the AC (snowflake) or not. That's how I want my cars to behave...

The coding functions to remove "constant snowflake" are different from those to stop the HVAC system from turning on when the car is powered after a full sleep cycle.

In my case, I have also coded IHKA > 3002 Funktionskodierung_HO, 06 > AC_NICHT_EIN_BEI_AUTO. I don't have all my notes with me but I think that's the appropriate one.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. Based on the feedback, sounds like I need to be able to code within the IHKA module.

I am referring to the "snow flake" (AC ON).

I have noticed the same nuisance on other BMWs, this is the first BMW I have owned that also has this nuisance.

Basically, I don't like starting the car with unnecessary load (AC compressor ON), etc. and many days I don't want to use my AC at all!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Thanks guys. Based on the feedback, sounds like I need to be able to code within the IHKA module.

I am referring to the "snow flake" (AC ON).

I have noticed the same nuisance on other BMWs, this is the first BMW I have owned that also has this nuisance.

Basically, I don't like starting the car with unnecessary load (AC compressor ON), etc. and many days I don't want to use my AC at all!
OK - that perfectly clarifies what you're after. I don't have all of my coding records with me at the moment, but I think my previously quoted "IHKA > 3002 Funktionskodierung_HO, 06 > AC_NICHT_EIN_BEI_AUTO" will do what you need.

The OFF_MEMORY quoted by someone else will allow your HVAC to be fully off and remember that state on next restart. Honestly this is how I often drive my F10 when just doing commutes to the train station - the HVAC never comes on. This means my water pump doesn't even run allowing the engine to warm up extremely quickly despite the fairly short trip. I know it's not the life for everyone but in a lot of cases it's just fine for me - open the window when it's warm out and no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
OK - that perfectly clarifies what you're after. I don't have all of my coding records with me at the moment, but I think my previously quoted "IHKA > 3002 Funktionskodierung_HO, 06 > AC_NICHT_EIN_BEI_AUTO" will do what you need.

The OFF_MEMORY quoted by someone else will allow your HVAC to be fully off and remember that state on next restart. Honestly this is how I often drive my F10 when just doing commutes to the train station - the HVAC never comes on. This means my water pump doesn't even run allowing the engine to warm up extremely quickly despite the fairly short trip. I know it's not the life for everyone but in a lot of cases it's just fine for me - open the window when it's warm out and no big deal.
So, when you say "HVAC to be fully off", do you mean the fan for air is off?

The snowflake light will never be ON if the fan is off. The snowflake light is always lit with the fan being set at low speed minimum.

I do not want to run the fan only with snow flake off either. I want fan off (snowflake light is off since fan is off).

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
So, when you say "HVAC to be fully off", do you mean the fan for air is off?

The snowflake light will never be ON if the fan is off. The snowflake light is always lit with the fan being set at low speed minimum.

I do not want to run the fan only with snow flake off either. I want fan off (snowflake light is off since fan is off).

Thanks,
Fully off means the panel is completely off. No fan, snowflake, temperature display, nothing. Using the OFF_MEMORY coding it will stay off on the next restart. Without it, the system is programed to always come on the lowest fan intensity on restart. I like the system to stay off until I turn it back on again.

The OFF_MEMORY coding does not affect the way the system always wants to turn the AC (snowflake) on. You'll need my other coding value for that.

I still haven't found IHKA coding which will completely disable AUTO AC (snowflake). In certain humidity conditions, the IHKA will still turn on the AC compressor without illuminating the snowflake button. This is a feature meant to keep your windshield from fogging up, but I'd still rather it didn't do it. Sometimes I've been driving with the windows down on a warm summer night and suddenly it's blasting icy air at me and I have no way of turning it off. When I coded my E90, I believe that one setting stopped both behaviors.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fully off means the panel is completely off. No fan, snowflake, temperature display, nothing. Using the OFF_MEMORY coding it will stay off on the next restart. Without it, the system is programed to always come on the lowest fan intensity on restart. I like the system to stay off until I turn it back on again.
Got it. This is what I am looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Carly's new update finally lets you code the IHKA module. No more fan ON when I turn car on. It finally remembers my last setting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e39 540 sport & BMW X5M

Trying to do this on my 2016 BMW X5M, is there any other app or scanner that can do this? Seems this Carly app is $85 per year, i have other basic scanners but only looking to disable this feature.

Thanks,
Frank
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franktea1$ View Post
Trying to do this on my 2016 BMW X5M, is there any other app or scanner that can do this? Seems this Carly app is $85 per year, i have other basic scanners but only looking to disable this feature.

Thanks,
Frank
Bimmercode... VEEP adapter...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franktea1$ View Post

Thanks,
Frank
A laptop running ESYS and a $20 ENET cable will let you do coding modifications.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #16
ocean65
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Surly73

Hello Surly73,

I have the same problem with my BMW, " In certain humidity conditions, the IHKA will still turn on the AC compressor without illuminating the snowflake button"
Did you find a solution for this issue ? Any coding ?

Thank you!

Quote:

The OFF_MEMORY coding does not affect the way the system always wants to turn the AC (snowflake) on. You'll need my other coding value for that.

I still haven't found IHKA coding which will completely disable AUTO AC (snowflake). In certain humidity conditions, the IHKA will still turn on the AC compressor without illuminating the snowflake button. This is a feature meant to keep your windshield from fogging up, but I'd still rather it didn't do it. Sometimes I've been driving with the windows down on a warm summer night and suddenly it's blasting icy air at me and I have no way of turning it off. When I coded my E90, I believe that one setting stopped both behaviors.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:31 PM   #17
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean65 View Post
Surly73

Hello Surly73,

I have the same problem with my BMW, " In certain humidity conditions, the IHKA will still turn on the AC compressor without illuminating the snowflake button"
Did you find a solution for this issue ? Any coding ?

Thank you!
No. Not yet. Though I haven't tried anything new in some time. In the IHKA I have AC_NICHT_EIN_BEI_AUTO and OFF_MEMORY coded and nothing else that I recall. I have found with AC_NICHT_EIN_BEI_AUTO it doesn't trigger the "hidden" AC as easily as uncoded, but it still does it.

Sometimes on summer evenings when I'm driving around with the windows and roof open if I turn the system on at all (just wanting some air movement) I get air conditioned air and no snowflake light.

I suppose maybe some time I'll get to exploring again to see if I find anything. I thought I had it completely stopped in my E90...

EDIT:
Found with google on the "other" forum:

Code:
3001 Funktionskodierung (Function coding), 29
BESCHLAGSVERMEIDUNG (FITTING AVOIDANCE??) (fogging prevention)
AKTIV (Active) = 01 (default)
Comment =
OPTIONS
NICHT_AKTIV (not active) = 00
AKTIV (Active) = 01
changed to nicht_aktiv

3001 Funktionskodierung (Function coding), 29
KMV_AKTIV_BESCHLAG (KMV ACTIVE BRACKET) (fogging prevention)
AKTIV (Active) = 01 (default)
Comment =
OPTIONS
AKTIV (Active) = 01
NICHT_AKTIV (not active) = 00
changed to nicht_aktiv
I think that chances are good that coding out the two "fogging prevention" settings might get the job done. The catch here for me is this:

Given my personal preferences, I never want the IHKA to turn the AC compressor on for me EXCEPT if I touch the front defrost button (full fan, full heat, AC on, windscreen vents only). Right now my use of AC_NICHT_EIN_BEI_AUTO means I need to hit defrost + snowflake to get this function now.

I don't know what effect these "fogging prevention" codes might have on how it behaves. It would be really sweet if I could dial it in...

Last edited by Surly73; 10-12-2022 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0