2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N55 PCV/CCV leaking problem

07-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
matroxstock
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

N55 PCV/CCV leaking problem

I determined that my PCV valve is leaking allowing ambient air along with a high volume of oil mist and crankcase gas to be drawn into the intake manifold. Much more than is normally allowed. There are a couple of ways to fix this issue;
1. Buy the mod kit from a Russian firm and install it on your N55; $50 and a real hack job.
2. Buy a new valve cover for you N55, ($450) and replace the old one.

OPINIONS REQUESTED

While investigating this issue and trying to figure out what to do, I plugged the fresh air inlet barb on the PCV valve (to prevent the rush of air through the PCV diaphragm) by putting a vacuum cap over it. When I did this the squeaking went away and I notice after driving for some time that soot on the exhaust tip was now non-existent; I had cleaned them after capping to see if the soot would still accumulate.

Why did this happen? The PCV valve should still be opening allowing oil mist and crankcase gas to enter the intake manifold. Any ideas??
Appreciate 0