2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Review: MMR billet aluminum paddle shifters

11-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Review: MMR billet aluminum paddle shifters

Recently ordered a pair of MMR billet paddle shifters to try to solve some wiggling issues. The aftermarket shifters I originally got had a decent amount of play in them and overall just felt a bit mushy. If you wiggled the tips of the paddles, they move quite a bit. It was a metal (or carbon fiber if you opt for the CF ones) paddle that was bolted to a plastic backing. The plastic backings absorb some of the tactile click, and so while they felt okay, it was nothing special.

I've always been a little bit unsatisfied with them but never knew of any other alternatives besides going back to OEM. I almost did until I saw these on an Evolve Automotive video for the M3 and knew I had to have them. Arrived earlier today and I put them on immediately.

First impressions:
  • They're light. Makes sense given they're aluminum, but it still surprised me.
  • The titanium colored ones match the stock steering wheel trim pretty well. The dark anthracite ones will probably match well for those who have carbon fiber trims, but I personally don't have experience with it.
  • They feel good. There's not an ounce of plastic on these paddles, and the tactile feedback of the shifts gets transferred through the metal a lot better. Still wish it was more clicky, but can't change that unless I can find better buttons for the paddle internals (doubt it). Think... decent chiclet keyboard vs cherry browns/reds. Also, the way they're designed, there's a bit of a lip where your fingers go. It really gives you something more concrete to hold on to and don't feel like your fingers are about to just slip off. The OEM paddles also gave me that slip off feeling, bleh.
  • No flex. With the old ones, if I pressed down at the very top of the paddles, it was mush central and sometimes didn't even register. Given you almost never shift using that area of the paddle, but still. With these, I can shift anywhere and it'll still feel great. Still feels best when clicking near the middle of course, but the tips are usable now.
  • They look great. They have more presence on the wheel and the design gives the paddles a lot more depth.

I know I probably make the old paddles sound like shit, but they're not. They're decent for what they cost (~$60-$70 on ebay last I checked), and it's really just a case of the MMR ones being really good.

Now, onto the cons side of things:
  • Expensive. I got mine for around 230 shipped. If you're going to buy these, I strongly encourage you to buy with a no foreign transaction fee card.
  • Didn't fix the wiggling. It improved it a lot, but still wiggles a bit. I narrowed it down to the paddle internal housing. The paddle themselves don't have any interaction with the mounting, they're really just covers for the internal housing. It's the part that is bolted to the wheel itself that is too loose. Maybe some plastic washers super glued to act as shims will help. Will update.
  • Not huge on how the - and + are bolted to the paddles, rather than just machined in. You can definitely feel them a little when you run your fingers over them, kind of a strange decision given it's a CNC'd piece. You can even see the CNC marks on the inside of the paddle backings still.
  • Big ole' MMR logo on the back. They really stand out and I kind of wish the R in the MMR was hollow as well to make it more understated. Guess no one will really ever see them and it's just me nitpicking, but...

Overall, I love them and would rate them 8.5/10. Old ones sit at 6/10, and OEM ones probably 5/10.

The ones that I swapped out are for sale here: https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...0#post26923300

Comparison photos attached
Attached Images

Last edited by Unspec; 11-18-2020 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Noticed a minor issue with the downshift paddle. On the bottom and top, it has some ridging on the back likely due to a slight machining error. Doesn't feel too great and is a bit distracting knowing it's there. The upshift paddle is fine and smooth. Contacted MMR to see if we can get this resolved, hopefully can work something out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nickco431457.50
      11-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Well im noticing a little movement in my paddles now thank you very much u A-hole hahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

That's a feature. It's to keep your fingers from slipping off when aggressively shifting!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian View Post
Well im noticing a little movement in my paddles now thank you very much u A-hole hahaha
I'll try to find a solution asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
That's a feature. It's to keep your fingers from slipping off when aggressively shifting!
Big brain plays. How could they have not mentioned this feature!
Appreciate 0