2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Powerstop Brakes…. Come on…

05-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Jacob_f10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Powerstop Brakes…. Come on…

So it's time for my 550 to get new brakes. I knew the day was coming for a while and I had been planning on going the "drilled/slotted with carbon ceramic pads" route since the beginning. I do some research and in comes Powerstop. They have great reviews and great products from what I can see, and have (more on this below) and I was sold as soon as I read the claims.

"Virtually silent braking" sign me up
"Maximum cooling and protects against corrosion" sign me up again
"Upgraded braking performance" ill freaking take it.

Sold. Hopped on Amazon (one of their vendors) and bought it.

The shipment was unfortunately a day late. Completely understand and that was fine. I don't mind waiting a little longer to get quality parts. Package arrives the next day, I rush home from work and open the box to find 3 rotors… You can imagine my frustration.. But I figured "Hey it's just a mistake I'll call Amazon and Powerstop and figure it out."

So I call Powerstop first, and to make a long story short they tell me to call Amazon. So I call Amazon and they tell me my ONLY options are to call the manufacturer, or return the item and order it again. I call Powerstop back and they tell me there is nothing they can do for me. They won't ship me the missing rotor (even though Amazon states online under this exact item, if an item is missing the manufacturer will replace it.)

I told everyone over the phone I didn't want to go through a lengthy process with having Amazon get my return and drop another 500+ bucks on another set of brakes… I call Powerstop again JUST to be sure and they told me the same thing, but they started getting irritated with me calling from what I could tell. One individual kept taking my call and she didn't seem to like me very much.

"Oh yeah I remember you"
"Yeah there is nothing we can do the vendor has to take care of it within 60 days"
"Amazon's return and replacement process won't take that long I do it all the time you so shouldn't have a problem"
This is the part that gets me, when I asked if I could just buy a rotor and not go through the hassle.
"We don't ship or sell directly to customers"

I have seen a thread on these forums where Powerstop HAS sent replacement/missing parts to customers…

So I wait a day and try and sort out my options. That next day, the option to "Order exact replacement" on Amazon shows up. So I gladly clicked the button and got started with that process. Wait another 3 days. Package shows up on my doorstep. And the same rotor is missing. At this point I'm pretty mad. How does someone mess up my order twice… Worst part is these types of rotors are directional, they lost the same exact rotor so I couldn't even grab missing parts from one box and move it to the other.

I again call Amazon and they tell me how sorry they are and again, call the manufacturer or return the items.

This time I sent an email describing my dilemma in detail to Powerstop, hoping to get some sort of email back describing the situation and what can be done.

This is the email they sent me (yes it is terrible grammar I'm copying it word for word exactly how it was sent)

"Hello, I have enter the order for missing rotor REF ######"

Now I'm confused because I was told they don't ship to customers directly.

I call them back the next day (today) and ask for some simple clarification. The same lady answers the phone and I ask my question.

This is what she says "Yeah it looks like we are sending you a rotor soooo what is your question?"

At this point I'm in disbelief, how is it that a simple vague email solved my issue but talking to multiple people over the phone, describing my problems in detail, couldn't warrant some sort of resolution? And not to mention the attitude given in the calls. I don't want or mean to sound like a Karen, but I'm super nice over the phone, and extremely understanding given the world we currently live in. I am a customer who is super excited to receive this product, had no idea when I was going to get it, couldn't get one rotor shipped to me for over a week, had no resolution from customer support, and still gave everyone the benefit of the doubt and rolled with it. But I won't be giving my business to Powerstop at this point. It has been the second worst customer service experience I've had next to dealing with my old cell carrier *cough* Sprint *cough*

I ended up ordering the same type of braking system (drilled and slotted rotors and carbon ceramic pads) from R1 Concepts yesterday because they had a 20% off Mother's Day sale. And I'll be returning two incomplete sets of brakes from Powerstop tomorrow. They too have solid reviews and I'll leave my own on the forums once I get them installed, assuming all the rotors get shipped

To be clear, Powerstop brakes look and feel amazing and high quality. I am not writing negatively about their products because I do believe they are great. If this is the company you want to go with, by all means go for it! Just be cautious of the customer service and if you have any missing or faulty pieces, I would just simply send an email instead of calling their office!
      05-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Honestly, just go with FCP for your brake stuff. Their CS is far, far better. Unless you really want the looks of drilled and slotted, blanks are the way to go for non-track cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 11:05 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I've dealt with R1 Concepts in the past with no negative results.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i went with CQuence brakes and had these custom designed with the slotted/drilled. Customer service was amazing and no problems with shipping

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0