BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

HELP: ran into issues with spring install

Alright so I am super frustrated. Have been working on installing springs for like 7 hours now. Got the fronts done in about 3 hrs working by myself, and I figure the rear would be even easier given there is no need to compress the springs. I followed the following DIY:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183011

In the rear I loosened the two bolts circled to undo the strut and also the lower knuckle of the rear brake disk. So far so good, put the H&R spring in, and here is where I ran into problems and have spent the past THREE hours struggling with. I can't get the fcuking lower control arm and the hole in the lower knuckle to align. I have tried using the jacklift (even used two of them) and the damn holes just do not align anywhere in the jacking arcs. Suggestions would be wonderful as I need to get this done tomorrow morning as I have to drive back to Seattle tomorrow evening. Should I undo anything else in an attempt to get the holes to align (perhaps the sway bar)? Please help!
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Alright so I am super frustrated. Have been working on installing springs for like 7 hours now. Got the fronts done in about 3 hrs working by myself, and I figure the rear would be even easier given there is no need to compress the springs. I followed the following DIY:

In the rear I loosened the two bolts circled to undo the strut and also the lower knuckle of the rear brake disk. So far so good, put the H&R spring in, and here is where I ran into problems and have spent the past THREE hours struggling with. I can't get the fcuking lower control arm and the hole in the lower knuckle to align. I have tried using the jacklift (even used two of them) and the damn holes just do not align anywhere in the jacking arcs. Suggestions would be wonderful as I need to get this done tomorrow morning as I have to drive back to Seattle tomorrow evening. Should I undo anything else in an attempt to get the holes to align (perhaps the sway bar)? Please help!
Maybe post up some pics.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

if you put the stock rear springs back in place, do the holes align?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Alright got the car back together. Basically needed some food in my stomach, a good night's rest, and had a buddy come help me in the morning to try and align everything up. Let's just say that having an extra set of hands is HIGHLY recommended for this install. Would have been done altogether yesterday if I had help to just get a few steps done!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
ask longtran
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you have to lift both the control arm and the carrier to align them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post

Maybe that 8.9 hours the dealer wants is not so bad! Glad it worked out.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Maybe that 8.9 hours the dealer wants is not so bad! Glad it worked out.
Honestly Greg with an extra set of hands the install will take much less. I spent a total of around 4 hours doing the front including the time it took to compress and decompress both sets of springs and the time it took to raise/lower the car. The rear is only a two hour job as long as you have someone to lend a hand for 15 min to align the holes in the lower control arm to the lower spindle/knuckle of the brake disc. So total time is about 6 hours with only hand tools and no lift. If I had a lift and air tools like most shops, this is honestly a 4-5 hr job at the very most. I bet the second time around I can probably do it in 4 hrs with my hand tools and no lift. SO my opinion is that it is a bit time consuming, but all in all I enjoy working on cars and learn things about them in the process. Time well spent imho and you also can pocket that 8.9 hrs of labor the shops charge (around $95-100 per hr here in Seattle plus tax)!
Appreciate 0