2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2015 535i Purchase Tips & Maintenance

09-08-2024, 10:30 AM   #1
E60JSolo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530i

2015 535i Purchase Tips & Maintenance

Hi all,

I'm new here and not very well-versed in car mechanics, but I often visit this forum to research and learn. I've put a deposit down on a 2015 F10 535i with 76,000 miles on the clock.

Here's a video of the engine running (it's far from where I live, so I've asked the dealer to send me a video before I invest time in traveling there):

I'm planning to see the car next weekend, and if all goes well, I'll purchase it. Is there anything I should be concerned about or look out for when I inspect the car?

I've watched a few videos about preventative measures for the N55 engine, but is there anything major I should be aware of, given the mileage?

I appreciate your time and help! I'm just giving up my 2005 E60 530i after a few years of enjoying the drive. It's been great, but now I’m looking for something newer for the family, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #2
LivNowPayL8r
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d, Space Gray

A lot depends on what type and length of warranty the dealer is providing. If the warranty is too short to allow problems to rise to the surface or does not cover everything, I would opt for an independent inspection if you are going to purchase. A used car is a gamble and you want to minimize your risk, particularly if the maintenance history is not well documented.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 02:38 PM   #3
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Engine sounds normal.

Check for oil leaks around oil filter housing, valve cover and oil pan. Those are very common. It should be bone dry. If you see just a hint of oil or dirt buildup, it is about to leak.

Check the battery to see if it’s new. There is a date stamp on the battery post. Last two numbers is the year. If it’s old, expect a new battery in the near future.

Bring a scanner. Even a cheap $20 WalMart one is fine. Scan to see if the emissions stuff are ready. If it’s not, it was recently cleared and haven’t had enough drive cycle for the car to report back if the problem still exist. You may end up with a check engine down the road.

Thrust arm bushing do fail often on these cars. It’s hard to check without removing panels. If you drive and felt vibrations when slowing down, it may be bad.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 10:34 PM   #4
ctcarbonari
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Engine sounds normal.

Check for oil leaks around oil filter housing, valve cover and oil pan. Those are very common. It should be bone dry. If you see just a hint of oil or dirt buildup, it is about to leak.

Check the battery to see if it’s new. There is a date stamp on the battery post. Last two numbers is the year. If it’s old, expect a new battery in the near future.

Bring a scanner. Even a cheap $20 WalMart one is fine. Scan to see if the emissions stuff are ready. If it’s not, it was recently cleared and haven’t had enough drive cycle for the car to report back if the problem still exist. You may end up with a check engine down the road.

Thrust arm bushing do fail often on these cars. It’s hard to check without removing panels. If you drive and felt vibrations when slowing down, it may be bad.
+1 to all of ^this^

OFHG is right on top and easy to inspect. For the VC, if you remove the beauty cover and look along the passenger side of the engine that's where the oil will usually pool. Also, you can usually smell the VC leaking as it has a tendency to leak down onto the heat shield for exhaust.

It would not be uncommon to have the original battery (I still do in my 15' 535i). It may be a bit intrusive to see the date on the battery post as you'll have to peel back some weather striping and pop out a piece of interior trim in the backside of the trunk to gain access. A scanner would be very handy here, as it will tell you if it's original or the most recent registration date.

If the car has comfort access (CA) handles then I'd physically check each one by touch to make sure it locks/unlocks. These are notorious for shorting out. I had one (shortly after purchase) that would short out when it rained and would cause the dreaded "Increased Battery Discharge While Stopped" message.. Simple fix tho.

+1 to having a pre purchase inspection done (PPI) by an Indy shop! That would be ideal. I rolled an engine/drivetrain warranty into the financing when I bought Bimmer. Within the next 7 days took it to (2) different Indy shops for inspection & cylinder compression check - all good - so I cancelled the warranty at zero financial penalty.

Have the dealership warm the engine up for you so that during your test drive you can put your foot into it a bit and also check to ensure oil temp is near the "high noon" mark.

Make sure you have the key for your wheel lug bolts & tow hook in the trunk compartment underneath the lid.

Maintenance

For your purchase @ ~76k miles (and assuming they haven't been addressed already) my initial "hot items" for maintenance would be transmission oil/filter, differential oil, spark plugs.

I bought my 2015 535i M Sport just over 3 years ago w/ 53k miles
Within the first few months I exchanged nearly all fluids & filters to establish a baseline for future service/preventative maintenance. I'm at 86k miles now and here's the short list of service/pm I've either done myself or had done by my Indy.

Engine oil & filter changes ~5k miles w/ fuel injection cleaner prior.

[54k mi] - Air Filters (Engine & Cabin) & Wipers
[54k mi] - (4) Michelin PS 4 A/S Tires
[54k mi] - Alignment check & adjustment
[57k mi] - Brake Fluid Flush
[59k mi] - Spark Plugs & Ignition Coils (while I was there)
[60k mi] - Coolant Flush
[60k mi] - Differential Oil Exchanged
[60k mi] - Transmission Serviced (Oil + Pan/Filter + Mechtronic Sleeve)
[70k mi] - Air Filter (Engine) & Wipers
[72k mi] - Front Brakes (Pads, Rotors, Sensor, SS set screw)
[75k mi] - AC System Evac & Recharge
[79k mi] - (2) Michelin PS 4 A/S Tires (Rear)
[80k mi] - Brake Fluid Flush
[80k mi] - Transmission Serviced (Oil "dump & fill" / no pan/filter)
[84k mi] - Valve Cover & Gasket replaced (began slowly leaking ~73k)
[84k mi] - MAF & MAP sensor cleaning & "idle reset"
[tomorrow] - Front windshield replacement w/ HUD, rain sensor recalibration
[next week] - Rear Brakes (Pads, Rotors, Sensor, SS set screw)
[by end of Sept.] - Replace rear diff bushing & flex disc (giubo)
[before winter] - Replace Battery, Replace Accessory belt/tensioner/pulley, Aftermarket Crankseal Guard Install, Aftermarket Aluminum Coolant Hose Flange Install, Cabin Filter (Grrrrr)
[much too soon for my wallet] - Front & Rear tires again....lol

and that doesn't cover all the fun stuff....like coding changes, IPAD dashboard setup, mud flaps, side reflector delete, side marker chrome replacement, all weather mats, LED lighting conversion (cabin, trunk, puddle lights), ceramic coat application along with the endless car detailing......lol

But I'm a bit obsessive compulsive. Your results may vary.

Good Luck with the purchase & post pics after you pull the trigger!
The N55 is a fairly dependable engine with a bit of power & the amenities of the 5 series are nice. It has been the most enjoyable daily driver I've owned in a long, long, time.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 04:47 AM   #5
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Yes Opt for a professional Pre Purchase inspection and ensure you got an idea of what can be addressed beforehand. All mentioned above are very important things to go by. Remember the 5 series are hugely popular, and there are plenty of them in the Market, so if you fall in love with one, there will be others!

Engine sounds healthy, just a tad bit dusty in there!

Last edited by ChiltiCoatl89; 09-09-2024 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2024, 01:19 PM   #6
E60JSolo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530i

Hi all, thank you for your tips and suggestions. It's well appreciated. I should get picking it up this Sunday- super excited! Hopefully all goes well. Will drop a picture in here if I buy it - no doubt I'll be posting regularly when I start tweaking and maintaining it!
Appreciate 1