2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum It had to happen...

10-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Unhappy It had to happen...

Talk about a temporary sense of humour failure .
As per the attached photo, I caught the front bumper on the garage wall whist reversing out this afternoon; fortunately there's no deformation, just deep scratches, but it'll need a proper paint job.
What makes it worse is that the car is only 9 days old and there's nobody else to blame - just my own carelessness. It was tight enough with the E92, but the F10 is a bloody nightmare; the edge of the house prevents a straight run in and out of the garage and involves innumerable back and forth nudges.
Anyway, worse things happen at sea, or so I'm told .
Do any fellow UK members have any experience of Halfords scuff repair? They've quoted me £155 for the job to be done at home, which seems fairly reasonable.
Any recommendations welcome - thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
schmoolie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F10 520d

Three years ago and one day after taking delivery of a spanking new E60 the windscreen popped on the M62. I saw the stone bouncing towards me but could not do anything about it.. I was gutted by the bad luck..however it was strangely releasing and after that first chip I felt I could really drive the car for the fun of it rather than as a show exhibit.
I'm sure any decent body shop will be able to bring your's up like new again..

Last edited by schmoolie; 10-07-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I feel your pain
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
MojoeF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Oh man, I feel for you. It's ironic how we all probably make every possible strategic move to ensure nobody puts a door ding on the car, etc...but then we cause the first dent/scratch on the car ourselves.

I put the first scratch on my car by accidentally kicking the passenger door while opening it. Don't ask how that happened, I can't figure it out myself. Just a careless mistake which really ticked me off. Not the end of the world, but definately frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Sonny520
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 F10 (sept)

How did you possible manage that? Your parking sensor is like right there, you should have heared the warning sound
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny520 View Post
How did you possible manage that? Your parking sensor is like right there, you should have heared the warning sound
The cacophony of beeps, front and rear, is incessant in the very tight space between my house and garage. The only way to manoeuvre the car is to take it to the wire and sometimes we, as less than infallible creatures, get it wrong.
That's another way of saying that making mistakes is part of the human condition - I stand guilty as charged.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
juztinl
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 535i

you should modify your house or driveway to make life easier for you. and make way for your car. !
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juztinl View Post
you should modify your house or driveway to make life easier for you. and make way for your car. !
Good idea, I'll get right onto it - just as soon as I can find a local demolition expert.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
smanoj77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

I've got the same design on my front bumper, and on the same side. Mine happened in one of the tight turns in a multi-story parking centre. Haven't done anything about it, though you couldn't repair scratches on plastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #10
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

You just captured last nights nightmare in a photo, I have the same tight squeeze out.
      10-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Before you take it for any paint work, try this product. Hope it is readily available in the UK.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

I used Scratch X on my mom's car last weekend and it removed a scratch you could feel easily with your finger. After, you could not see the scratch. It too was on a plastic piece of bodywork, which I am assuming this part is.

Honestly, she told me not to bother because she thought it was too deep. Was GONE after a few minutes work with that product and a microfibre towel.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6lor View Post
Before you take it for any paint work, try this product. Hope it is readily available in the UK.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

I used Scratch X on my mom's car last weekend and it removed a scratch you could feel easily with your finger. After, you could not see the scratch. It too was on a plastic piece of bodywork, which I am assuming this part is.

Honestly, she told me not to bother because she thought it was too deep. Was GONE after a few minutes work with that product and a microfibre towel.

Paul
Thanks for the suggestion but, as you can see in the photo, the scratches are right through to the black plastic. The white paint is also badly flaked and raised on either side of the score lines.
It would have to be some sort of miracle compound to turn black into white.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but, as you can see in the photo, the scratches are right through to the black plastic. The white paint is also badly flaked and raised on either side of the score lines.
It would have to be some sort of miracle compound to turn black into white.
That's exactly what my mom said. She has a green Toyota and visited my home. The car is new and she said she felt bad that there was damage on her rear bumper. It looked as though a car parked behind her and hit her car with the screw that we use to affix our front plates here in the US. I got the scratch x and she told me not to bother because the paint was clearly gone. To the finger it felt as though a knife made a small cut/gouge in the bumper. I thought she might be right, but by this time I had the product and a microfibre ( spelled for you guys in the UK ) cloth in hand. Wet the cloth with product, rubbed for 60 seconds or so. Mark was greatly diminished. Rubbed a second and third time and then hit the spot with a little quick detailer and it was GONE.

I have used scratch x before and wasn't sure if it would do anything for her bumper, but in this case it worked a miracle. I cannot tell what your fender actually looks like because it's only an image on a monitor, but if that were my fender, I would try the scratch x product even if I thought it probably wouldn't work. You never know!

Paul

Post Script

My daughter hit a support in an underground garage a few months ago. I tried the scratch x on it. A lot of the marks dissapeared with the scratch x, but several were bad enough that it didn't help. The point is that it did help some of them. She wacked the pole hard enough to distort her bumper to the point that her parking light was broken. The car has since been repaired and the fender repsinted and is as good as new.

PJ

Last edited by kd6lor; 10-08-2010 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Added PS
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6lor View Post
I have used scratch x before and wasn't sure if it would do anything for her bumper, but in this case it worked a miracle. I cannot tell what your fender actually looks like because it's only an image on a monitor, but if that were my fender, I would try the scratch x product even if I thought it probably wouldn't work. You never know!

Paul
Scratch X is essentially a paint cleaner with moderate abrasives to help remove surface abrasions on a clear coat. It won't help in this situation because the clear has been breached, this needs to be repainted.
      10-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

white car syndrome
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #16
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool OUCH..............

I feel your pain............!

1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #17
merlin
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 530D - F10 on order

Having seen the earlier posts of you new baby Jon thats a real shame - I would be willing to take it off your hands for a knock down price as its damaged goods - enough to get you a nice SMART car to squeeze ino your garage
Appreciate 0