2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Shop Manual for F10

10-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Shop Manual for F10

Is it possible to get one anywhere? I've seen some electronic versions of a shop manual for other BMWs but not for the F10. Acura publishes a Shop Manual the day the car is released to the public. On the other hand, I could never buy one for my wife's Mercedes - one has to wait years to find something for those. I don't care if it's electronic or hard copy , I'd like to get one if possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
The Shop Manuals are always good to have. Even if you don't understand it. When it comes to a self diagnosis you can't beat it. At least you can get some insight as to what those gremlins might be.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrmeup View Post
The Shop Manuals are always good to have. Even if you don't understand it. When it comes to a self diagnosis you can't beat it. At least you can get some insight as to what those gremlins might be.
I agree with you completely. Even if a Shop Manual is not available perhaps there is another publication that lists the fluid capacities and types, the torque values for common fasteners like the wheels, oil drain plug, oil filter. Also, thinks like jacking points, location of systems, etc. Is there such a publication? Where do dealers get their information?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Unfortunately, BMW has not published any shop manuals for years, relying solely on their own computer system with this information. The only recourse is to wait for the Bentley manuals that will probably take at least a year or two to come out, or look at E-bay for CD-DVD's of the repair manuals that have the F10 included. (BMW TIS) It may take a while for these to show up as well.

To look up "Systems", I would recommend going to REALOEM. There you can look up everything on the F10, broken down my major groups. (Illustrations of every part on the car)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Unfortunately, BMW has not published any shop manuals for years, relying solely on their own computer system with this information. The only recourse is to wait for the Bentley manuals that will probably take at least a year or two to come out, or look at E-bay for CD-DVD's of the repair manuals that have the F10 included. (BMW TIS) It may take a while for these to show up as well.

To look up "Systems", I would recommend going to REALOEM. There you can look up everything on the F10, broken down my major groups. (Illustrations of every part on the car)
Thank you very much. I spent some considerable time looking on line for a Shop Manual for the F10 and found none available. Is the Bentley manual a true Shop Manual with diagrams and a step by step on procedures?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Thank you very much. I spent some considerable time looking on line for a Shop Manual for the F10 and found none available. Is the Bentley manual a true Shop Manual with diagrams and a step by step on procedures?
It's the real deal. The BMW dealers even sell them. Of course they are expensive relative to other shop manuals which are either free like some manufacturers or relatively inexpensive like a Chilton or Haynes manual. Try to contain your shock by this behavior.