2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 520d and sports auto transmission

10-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
dieselbmw
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merc W221 C220 cdi

520d and sports auto transmission

I'm interested in the 520d mainly because of its efficiency. My only concern is the initial lag and I see that some people have described this on other posts in this forum, but most don't seem to mind it.

I wonder if the sports autotransmission helps to reduce the lag or improve performance. Has anyone tried both the normal and sports auto for comparison? I hear that the shifts are quicker so it should reduce acceleration time.

Does anyone know if it affects fuel consumption too?
      10-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbmw View Post
... My only concern is the initial lag and I see that some people have described this on other posts in this forum, but most don't seem to mind it.

I wonder if the sports autotransmission helps to reduce the lag or improve performance. Has anyone tried both the normal and sports auto for comparison? I hear that the shifts are quicker so it should reduce acceleration time.

Does anyone know if it affects fuel consumption too?
I've driven three autos, two standard autos in 530d's and the sport auto in a 535i. (Only the manual in the 520d which I didn't like, I'd have the 8-speed in the 520d if that was my car choice). I never found any lag to speak off, in either box. To me the sport auto felt virtually the same as the standard box in normal mode, at an average driving style, but in sport mode was a very tight box indead. Superb shifting and response.

If you configure the sport mode, (in i-Drive) obviously you move the shift speeds to higher rpm and you do lock out 8th gear, so economy will suffer. But it is so easy to just flick to sport and back when necessary, even if you leave the box unconfigured.

I'd suggest you try a car with the sport auto, even if it's not a 520d, and try the i-Drive configurations to see if you are happy with what each setting allows.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
nicolo2
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 (August '10)

Hello,
Since 2 months I'm driving (enjoying!) a 520dA (so not the sportbox). The 8speed autobox is fantastic and gets out the max of the 2 liter engine. Is there a lag? Yes, compared to for instance the 530d the 520d is more "discrete" below 1500 rpm, but nothing really dramatic and above this level it picks up in a very lively way and all the way it is smooth, silent, sophisticated, a dream! Having tried normal and sport auto box, and having my car equipped with the electronic suspension (DCC), I can tell the only difference are the shift paddles on the steering wheel and the driving dynamics control. Also the "normal" auto box offers a "sport" program. And this sport program, I can assure you, is absolutely necessary: I never (!) use the "normal" program, as it leaves the motor revving much too low, having difficulties picking up in trafic. Only on highways I select the normal auto program, to have lower revs from the 8th gear.
The driving dynamics control comes also with the Dcc and allows in "sport" position the sport auto , without having to select it separately (still following?).
My opinion: the sport auto position is absolutely necessary to enjoy the 520d, but it comes with both normal and sport auto box! If you are not ordering the DCC suspension, then order the sport auto box, for little more money it comes with the interesting Driving Dynamics Control. And above all: buy it, this 520dA is the absolute benchmark in its class...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
okram
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Can someone please confirm - is there a setting in i-drive to set it to remain on sport constantly even on a non-sport automatic?

Is there a real advantage of sport automatic beside shift paddles on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okram View Post
Can someone please confirm - is there a setting in i-drive to set it to remain on sport constantly even on a non-sport automatic?

Is there a real advantage of sport automatic beside shift paddles on the steering wheel?
A question that's been asked before, appears it is a default to normal setup, not seen any way around it.

The sport auto box has different 'sportier' software than the standard auto. Besides the i-Drive configurations it is suggested the sport auto box option also has a slightly tighter steering setup even in 'normal'.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolo2 View Post
Hello,
Since 2 months I'm driving (enjoying!) a 520dA (so not the sportbox). The 8speed autobox is fantastic and gets out the max of the 2 liter engine. Is there a lag? Yes, compared to for instance the 530d the 520d is more "discrete" below 1500 rpm, but nothing really dramatic and above this level it picks up in a very lively way and all the way it is smooth, silent, sophisticated, a dream! Having tried normal and sport auto box, and having my car equipped with the electronic suspension (DCC), I can tell the only difference are the shift paddles on the steering wheel and the driving dynamics control. Also the "normal" auto box offers a "sport" program. And this sport program, I can assure you, is absolutely necessary: I never (!) use the "normal" program, as it leaves the motor revving much too low, having difficulties picking up in trafic. Only on highways I select the normal auto program, to have lower revs from the 8th gear.
The driving dynamics control comes also with the Dcc and allows in "sport" position the sport auto , without having to select it separately (still following?).
My opinion: the sport auto position is absolutely necessary to enjoy the 520d, but it comes with both normal and sport auto box! If you are not ordering the DCC suspension, then order the sport auto box, for little more money it comes with the interesting Driving Dynamics Control. And above all: buy it, this 520dA is the absolute benchmark in its class...
Are you saying that your car has the variable damper control option but you have also driven a car with standard suspension and sport auto and they feel the same when in sport mode? Am really interested in your thoughts. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
nicolo2
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 (August '10)

I drove:
- (test) 530d sportauto, standard suspension, 19' wheels
- (test) 523i manual, standard suspension, 17' wheels
- (test) 520d sportauto and VDC, 18' wheels
- (my car) 520d auto and VDC, 17' wheels
My personal experience: Comparing the 2 520d with VDC in sportmode felt basically the same for me: crisp and comfortable. With standard suspension on the 530d the sportmode felt a bit artificial to me, especially the sport position of the autobox not really necessary with this powerfull engine (as it is on the contrary on the 520d) and the comfort (19') less convincing on rough roads then with VDC. 17' wheels on standard suspension: very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

I test drove 4 different 530d's with Sports Auto and bought the 520d with Sports Auto. My pick was mostly based on the price and efficiency but I am not disappointed by any means except I could order the Comfort/Sports seats (seats are something I couldn't consider - silly me)
      10-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Getting an F11 520d with Sports Auto, VDC and 18" in two weeks and can hardly wait to try out all the different gearbox and suspension settings
      10-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5 View Post
I test drove 4 different 530d's with Sports Auto and bought the 520d with Sports Auto. My pick was mostly based on the price and efficiency but I am not disappointed by any means except I could order the Comfort/Sports seats (seats are something I couldn't consider - silly me)
My choice has been price driven also so I have ended up with a 520d, Jet Black, oyster / black leather, anthracite wood trim, sports auto, sports seats, sun protection glass and ambient lighting. Just had a call from the dealer and it's due December 1st...

I was just a little worried that I should have added VDC but would have had to loose some of the other bits.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
My choice has been price driven also so I have ended up with a 520d, Jet Black, oyster / black leather, anthracite wood trim, sports auto, sports seats, sun protection glass and ambient lighting. Just had a call from the dealer and it's due December 1st...

I was just a little worried that I should have added VDC but would have had to loose some of the other bits.
When did you put your order in please?.
      10-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
okram
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Besides the i-Drive configurations it is suggested the sport auto box option also has a slightly tighter steering setup even in 'normal'.

HighlandPete
Thanks, does this mean that steering wheel will feel different with sport auto box on sport setting? On regular my feeling was that the wheel was a little too soft and light...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, does this mean that steering wheel will feel different with sport auto box on sport setting? On regular my feeling was that the wheel was a little too soft and light...
My experience, yes. Was an F10 535i with 19" wheels, with sport auto (only option fitted requiring DDC). Good steering on normal setting, even better switched to sport. Nice meaty feel to the steering, made the car feel much tighter and controlled.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
When did you put your order in please?.
September 16th
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
okram
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm sold for sport automatic now. Just the last question - is it also comfortable in normal mode for driving on the highways like non-sport automatic? Sometimes I want to relax and don't want it to be sporty :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My experience, yes. Was an F10 535i with 19" wheels, with sport auto (only option fitted requiring DDC). Good steering on normal setting, even better switched to sport. Nice meaty feel to the steering, made the car feel much tighter and controlled.

HighlandPete
Totally agreed I tested the 3.0 Diesel f10 today same results, good steering and even better in sport.
      11-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
okram
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is there ANY disadvantage of having sport auto comparing to regular non-sport on 520d?

Do they have the same transmission settings on normal position and can both be used also for comfortable rides?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Is there ANY disadvantage of having sport auto comparing to regular non-sport on 520d?

Do they have the same transmission settings on normal position and can both be used also for comfortable rides?
I am keen to hear the same, since I am collecting my 520d Sports Auto M Sport in just over a week. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
okram
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Anybody?
I have the M-Sport on order, it gives different settings at the push of a button changing the suspension, steering and gearbox, these settings can be changed as well in IDrive, so sport auto is the best way to go.
      11-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #21
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
I'm sold for sport automatic now. Just the last question - is it also comfortable in normal mode for driving on the highways like non-sport automatic? Sometimes I want to relax and don't want it to be sporty :-)
Very comfortable in normal - a bit too soft for me, but I'm not long out of an E92 MS.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #22
okram
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0