2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Adaptive drive or not on 535D MSport?

10-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Adaptive drive or not on 535D MSport?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has already been covered. I'm thinking of changing my 5 year old E60 M5 for something a bit more 'sensible' and newer.

I test drove the 523 M Sport the other day and though the engine is too underpowered for me I loved the way the car handled. More comfortable than my M5 (even with the latter in comfort) but still handled well. Obviously not as good as the M5 but still pretty remarkable for a big car. It had the 20 inch wheels by the way

So I'm now thinking of speccing up a 535dMSport. I'm considering the adaptive drive but have a couple of reservations

1) Is adaptive drive going to offer me anything? I found the M Sport comfortable enough, I don't need it anymore comfortable. So will it offer a setting that is actually more sporty/focused than the M Sport suspension. And I don't mean the setting where traction control is off, because I would never use that!

2) If I went for the adaptive drive then I wonder what I'd actually be paying the extra £3.3k for a M Sport for. The M sport suspension will be ditched, I'll ditch the wheels for the 20 inch option and ditch the sports seats for the comfort option. So does that mean I've paid £3.3k for just the M Sport body kit and steering wheel??

Thanks for looking.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post

1) Is adaptive drive going to offer me anything? I found the M Sport comfortable enough, I don't need it anymore comfortable. So will it offer a setting that is actually more sporty/focused than the M Sport suspension. And I don't mean the setting where traction control is off, because I would never use that!

2) If I went for the adaptive drive then I wonder what I'd actually be paying the extra £3.3k for a M Sport for. The M sport suspension will be ditched, I'll ditch the wheels for the 20 inch option and ditch the sports seats for the comfort option. So does that mean I've paid £3.3k for just the M Sport body kit and steering wheel??
1) Keep in mind that adaptive drive is not just an option to choose from different modes (sport, normal, comfort), but basically a next gen. suspension technology.
It is also a dynamic system in which the suspension (within any mode) is adjusted continuously.
Check:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ive_drive.html

I guess, you should try an adaptive drive specced car. Just cruising the city centre, you probably won't need it. Btw: with adaptive drive the car sits higher. IMO it doesn't look good on a M sport F10. Off course, you can add after market lowering springs to drop the car. A Schnitzer spingset will cost EUR 1000.

2) The 18" M sport wheels come standard with the M sport package. You could fit them with winter tyres (don't know if you need them?). That would make the £3.3k investment a bit more sensible.
      10-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks.

Yes I got it slightly mixed up with variable damper control which is just one of the functions of the adaptive drive.

I'll read up a little bit more about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I'm not much further after plenty more reading. I think I know understand how adaptive drive/vdc control works. I have also driven the 530d M sport without adaptive drive package.

I want the sportiest handling possible, I'm not that bothered by ride quality because nothing will be as harsh as the E60 M5 I have at present (LOL)

So my question is, what would give me the most sporty drive? The Msport suspension or the adaptive drive package?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

The way you sound like, you will only use the sport+ of the AD, and in that case, you will really not benefit from the variable damper control. in that case, you might aswell take the m-suspension!!

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed View Post
The way you sound like, you will only use the sport+ of the AD, and in that case, you will really not benefit from the variable damper control. in that case, you might aswell take the m-suspension!!
That is exactly the point. Is the M sport suspension better or adaptive drive in the sport/sport+ setting with the added benefit of active anti roll bars. Do you know for certain that the M Sport is better? Have you driven both?

Thanks

ps as mentioned for me 'better' means the most sporty.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

better is relative - it all depends where you come from. people who test both and took the m-sport suspension may have taken it for reasons that you don't appreciate. on the other hand people who took adaptive drive may have taken it for other reasons then what you are looking for.

I will put it this way: I always had 19" wheels wihtout RFT with a m-suspension on all of my e60s - i was overwhelmed by how the car handled. decided to go the same path with my new f10 but this time with 20" witner and summer tires. Didn't see a reason why I would need to fork out money on the adaptive drive. Never had it, never drove, won't miss it...

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
better is relative - it all depends where you come from. people who test both and took the m-sport suspension may have taken it for reasons that you don't appreciate. on the other hand people who took adaptive drive may have taken it for other reasons then what you are looking for.

I will put it this way: I always had 19" wheels wihtout RFT with a m-suspension on all of my e60s - i was overwhelmed by how the car handled. decided to go the same path with my new f10 but this time with 20" witner and summer tires. Didn't see a reason why I would need to fork out money on the adaptive drive. Never had it, never drove, won't miss it...
I understand what you are saying and that's why I'm making it very clear where I am coming from and what I want to achieve. I'm not asking a general, ambiguous question like 'which one shall I get'?

I specifically want the most sporty, focused suspension set up possible. Therefore my question is also very specific, which would be better at achieving this, the adaptive drive or M sport set up. This is best answered by somebody who has driven both.

Many thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and that's why I'm making it very clear where I am coming from and what I want to achieve. I'm not asking a general, ambiguous question like 'which one shall I get'?

I specifically want the most sporty, focused suspension set up possible. Therefore my question is also very specific, which would be better at achieving this, the adaptive drive or M sport set up. This is best answered by somebody who has driven both.

Many thanks for your input
From what i read, you clearly like it stiff and hard (could be understood incorrectly ) - I would go for the m-suspension with 20". That is how a bmw should ride

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
From what i read, you clearly like it stiff and hard (could be understood incorrectly ) - I would go for the m-suspension with 20". That is how a bmw should ride
Stiff and hard is always best!

So does that mean M sport suspension is definately more sporty than adaptive drive in sport+ mode?

Also there is no 20" option for the M sport on the UK BMW car configurator.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Stiff and hard is always best!

So does that mean M sport suspension is definately more sporty than adaptive drive in sport+ mode?

Also there is no 20" option for the M sport on the UK BMW car configurator.

Thanks
The 20" option for the m-sport is not an option from bmw - you have to take the car with 18" or 19", sell them over ebay and then buy the 20" from your dealer...

the way you sound - 19" will be too soft for you..

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had another drive of the 530d M sport today (even though I'm after a 535dMS) which didn't have the adaptive drive. Again I was mightily impressed by this car, this time I switched the sports gear box to sport. I felt this made the steering feel better (ie heavier), does it do this?

Anyway, all I'd like is just a little bit more sportiness characteristic to the handling of this car. It's very good already, I'd like it just a little bit more sporty. Rseyd, I'm not sure 20'' wheels would really accomplish this.

If adaptive drive in sports mode/sports mode + could just improve things by another 10% or so, so that I can corner just that bit harder I'd be happy to spend the extra £2k it costs. It would also give me the advantage that if I were travelling on very bad roads I could switch to comfort.

The dealer is trying to source me a car through the network somewhere so that I can try out adaptive drive prior to ordering.

I suppose the other option would be to keep the M Sport suspension but add something like AC Schnitzer springs. I wonder if they are better/stiffer than the M Sport ones?

Thanks again rsyed for your input.

Ps the inside of the F10 is just so gorgeous, a huge step up from the E60
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
I suppose the other option would be to keep the M Sport suspension but add something like AC Schnitzer springs. I wonder if they are better/stiffer than the M Sport ones?
I'm gonna pick up my F10 535d M sport with adaptive drive and the Schnitzer lowering springset next week. Initially it will be on 19" M rims and winter tyres.
Might also be an interesting combination for you, so watch this space. I will post my reflections.
Anyway, IMO if you really want a sporty ride, get yourself an M3 or a 335i with M suspension. The f10 is just to big.
      10-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
I'm gonna pick up my F10 535d M sport with adaptive drive and the Schnitzer lowering springset next week. Initially it will be on 19" M rims and winter tyres.
Might also be an interesting combination for you, so watch this space. I will post my reflections.
Anyway, IMO if you really want a sporty ride, get yourself an M3 or a 335i with M suspension. The f10 is just to big.
Hi Ed,

The 3 series is too small for my family needs, especially a coupe. I just want to configure the 5 series in such a way that it gives the sportiest ride possible for that car.

I'd be very interested to know your thoughts after you pick up your car. In terms of the ACS springs I note that on their website for what they describe as the 5 series 'with self levelling system (ie adaptive drive) only the front two springs are changed, not the rear two. Doesn't that sound strange? Does that mean that the front of the car will be lower than the rear?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
A sporty ride does not necessarily mean you have to sacrifice the comfort, the space and the luxury of a f10. As is the case with indus, I want to take my car around the roundabout without feeling like the car is a boat with no feel to the road...

@indus: good luck with your decision!

Appreciate 0