2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Car and Driver adds 2011 BMW 535i long term test car to stable

10-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool Car and Driver adds 2011 BMW 535i long term test car to stable

Via http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...oad_test_intro

2011 BMW 535i - Long-Term Road Test Intro

Date: September 2010
Months in Fleet: 4 months
Current Mileage: 18,000 miles
Average Fuel Economy: 24 mpg
Average Range: 444 miles
Service: $0
Normal Wear: $9
Repair: $0

When it comes to ordering long-term test vehicles, we often choose stuff that’s fared well in previous evaluations, and we usually load them up with options—case in point: our $100,000-plus long-term BMW 750Li xDrive. The idea, of course, is to see if our infatuation with a new model can stand the test of time; and to test the newest and best gadgets and technologies.

Our long-term 5-series contradicts both conventions. Indeed, a 535i just finished behind an Audi A6 3.0T and an Infiniti M37 in a comparison test, and we didn’t go option crazy with this one. We selected just two key extras we couldn’t live without (the $2200 Sport package and the $2700 Dynamic Handling package) and two that we could live without, but didn’t want to (Cinnamon Brown leather for $1450 and an overpriced iPod connector for $400). We passed on the opportunity to test one piece of new technology by requesting a six-speed manual transmission over the new ZF eight-speed automatic, but made sure to check the box for the new single-turbo inline-six because we haven’t had one for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

What we ended up with is a $57,225 sedan that many of us would actually purchase. Perhaps the only two options we regret aren’t fitted to our car are heated seats and navigation, which would have added $2400.

New to Who?

You may be wondering why our “new” long-term 535i has 18,000 miles on the clock. We are just getting around to this introduction because the 5 has barely stopped moving since we collected it from BMW’s North American home base in New Jersey last May. It has performed interstate duty en route to destinations as varied as Yellowstone National Park, Florida, and North Carolina. Just about every weekend finds the car two to three hours from home.

The 5’s popularity for such trips is not difficult to explain. For starters, it rides well, and is particularly smooth with the adjustable suspension set in Comfort. The cabin might as well be a direct transplant from the 7-series—it is nearly as roomy and has similar seats. Some staffers have bemoaned the lack of bolster adjustment, as in Sport-pack-equipped 3s and our long-term 750Li, but all are pleased with the articulated front seatbacks that adjust separately to support the upper back.

Perhaps the greatest long-haul attraction comes in the form of the new single-turbo N55 inline-six, the details of which are chronicled here. With the cruise set near 80 mph, a few of us have seen efficiency in the low-30-mpg range—better than plenty of smaller, less-luxurious vehicles. EPA ratings for the 535i are 19 mpg city and 28 highway, compared to the twin-turbo 2010 car’s 17/26. Average in our less-thrifty around-town blitzes, and we’re traveling 24 miles for every gallon of gas burned.

We knew the new car’s 4075-pound weight—nearly 200 pounds heftier than the old 535i—would hamper it in a drag race, but were surprised by just how much slower this car is. We clocked a six-tenth increase in the 0–60 time, which grew to 5.8 seconds. The quarter-mile took an extra half-second, ticking past in 14.3 at 100 mph, two mph slower than the old 535i.

An Unfeeling Bavarian

Few complaints have made their way into the logbook. Among those that have, the overwhelmingly popular gripe centers around the 535i’s horrific steering—the same problem that cost it the aforementioned comparison test. There’s not even a hint of on-center feel, and it loads up artificially. The on-center vagueness seriously compromises the driver’s perception of the car’s capabilities. We’re holding out hope that BMW will remedy this soon, as the 5 uses an electric power-steering rack that can be reprogrammed with all the ease of updating Firefox on a PC.

The usual complaint with Bimmers—cost of ownership—has yet to affect us. As with all BMWs, service is free until either 50,000 miles or four years pass. We’ve not had to take the 5 to the dealer once, although we do expect the onboard computer to request a service soon. The only additional cost we’ve endured thus far was adding a $9 quart of oil.

Judging by the rapid accumulation of miles on the 535i, we should complete our 40,000-mile test in just about nine months. Most long-termers need a year, perhaps a little longer, to hit 40K; talk about bucking conventions.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Glad they got this one in stick.
1. The non navigation screen looks way too small considering the amount of real estate the dash has invested in it.
2. Now that it's getting cold, the heated steering wheel is one of those things that once you have, spoils you for the rest of your life. Or you can wear gloves or drive with one hand on the wheel and the other under your leg, then switch it up. $650 for the cold weather package is a bargain considering the stupid ipod connector is 400.
      10-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

1. What is with their cupholder?

This looks like a pre-production -or- Euro-model car.

Or is that how the manual transmission setup is?

2. Maybe someone at BMW will read this and fix the steering. I've heard "wooden", "no on-center feel", "Buick-like" and many other less flattering things.

My commentary: "It sucks."
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

BMW....are you listening to Car & Driver and loyal BMW enthusiasts?

Somebody at BMW should be concerned for their job at this point. Maybe this giant mistake was designed by committee. My guess it was the steering committee (my attempt at humor).

What a shock it must be to BMW to have negative comments on steering. They are used to ranting about cupholders and radiators and such, but this is the heart of the company.
Appreciate 0