2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What to do with my possible lemon car (long post)...

10-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
tk005x
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

What to do with my possible lemon car (long post)...

I posted this problem in the "F10 pulling to the right..." thread.

Basically on cold starts, when I make turns after a stop light or a red light, it makes this strange sound that sounds like the wheel is rubbing on the wheel well. I hear the sound on the front passenger side where the wheel/shock would be.

It's very noticeable when I make left turns and either does not sound as bad or no sound at all on right turns. It starts to make the sound when I initially turn the wheel for the turn.

It seems like the car still makes the sound when it is warm till I drive it for about an hour or so and then as far as I can tell it completely goes away. Or does not do it as much. But when I drive the car a few hours later, it makes the sound again.

I also swapped out the RFT for non-rft and still have the same sound.

So I took it to the dealer I brought it from to fix that and the drifting issue. They couldn't find anything and all they did was adjust the strut and also put on my front wheels wrong because the tread rotation was facing the wrong way.

I decided to take it to the different dealer. They called over a BMW NA engineer and seems like they messed up adjusting the strut and did not update the steering as I had asked them too. So they told me that the sound should probably also go away if the steering system is updated.

I get the car back, drifting is still there but almost to the point that it's not too noticeable. But I still get the same sound so I take it back and test drive it with the tech and hears the sound.

So about a week a half later, they had a lot of trouble finding the problem but narrowed it down to the hydraulic pump for the ARS. They replace the pump and I picked up the car yesterday. Car was fine on the drive home, but once again the next morning when the car is cold it makes the sound again. The SA told me they had alot of trouble finding out what the problem was, so I have feeling it's gonna be even more difficult to fix this problem.

Right now I'd just prefer to switch to a different brand. Always have had problems with BMW, after 4-5 years was willing to give it another try. I guess I took the risk of getting a first year car.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the lemon law? I know they have three chances to fix the car but does it matter if you switched dealers or not?

I haven't called the dealer yet, should I try to contact BMW NA directly or try to work through the dealer? Keep in mind that I have not brought my car from this dealer either.

Any advice on lemon car laws would be appreciated. I know my dad managed to return the car without having to go through the lemon law but his car was more severe, he had the 745li and car wouldn't start/stalling problems.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by tk005x; 10-29-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
MojoeF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I started the lemon law process with my car due to the pulling to the right issue, but have since retracted it. But I did alot of research on it so maybe I can offer a little advice here. By the way, I'm in FL, so I don't know if the laws are different where you are.

I started off the process by calling the lemon law office in Tallahassee, FL. The guy I spoke with was very helpful. First off, the dealer has nothing to do with the process, so don't bother getting them involved. This is a corporate BMW NA issue. The fact that you brought it to another dealer to have your issue fixed actually helps your case. The lemon law office actually made that suggestion to me (to take my car to another dealer). Three attempts to fix the issue is ideal, but is not entirely necessary. I would recommend starting the process immediately. In FL, I had to download/print out a 'notice of defect' letter. I had to fill it out and make 3 copies of it. One copy was sent certified mail to BMW, one copy went to the state, and I kept the remaining copy. BMW contacted me immediately when they received my defect notice. At that time, they schedule 1 final attempt to fix your issue. They have up to 30 days if i remember correctly.

That's about it. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
utlax20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Steering Noise

Just got my car last night. The car is making a horrible grinding noise when i turn the wheel to turn at low speed. Any Input would be appreciated from the experienced bmw owners in this forum.
My car is a new 550i with sport and dynamic handling and pretty much loaded up with all the goodies.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk005x View Post
I posted this problem in the "F10 pulling to the right..." thread.

Basically on cold starts, when I make turns after a stop light or a red light, it makes this strange sound that sounds like the wheel is rubbing on the wheel well. I hear the sound on the front passenger side where the wheel/shock would be.

It's very noticeable when I make left turns and either does not sound as bad or no sound at all on right turns. It starts to make the sound when I initially turn the wheel for the turn.

It seems like the car still makes the sound when it is warm till I drive it for about an hour or so and then as far as I can tell it completely goes away. Or does not do it as much. But when I drive the car a few hours later, it makes the sound again.

I also swapped out the RFT for non-rft and still have the same sound.

So I took it to the dealer I brought it from to fix that and the drifting issue. They couldn't find anything and all they did was adjust the strut and also put on my front wheels wrong because the tread rotation was facing the wrong way.

I decided to take it to the different dealer. They called over a BMW NA engineer and seems like they messed up adjusting the strut and did not update the steering as I had asked them too. So they told me that the sound should probably also go away if the steering system is updated.

I get the car back, drifting is still there but almost to the point that it's not too noticeable. But I still get the same sound so I take it back and test drive it with the tech and hears the sound.

So about a week a half later, they had a lot of trouble finding the problem but narrowed it down to the hydraulic pump for the ARS. They replace the pump and I picked up the car yesterday. Car was fine on the drive home, but once again the next morning when the car is cold it makes the sound again. The SA told me they had alot of trouble finding out what the problem was, so I have feeling it's gonna be even more difficult to fix this problem.

Right now I'd just prefer to switch to a different brand. Always have had problems with BMW, after 4-5 years was willing to give it another try. I guess I took the risk of getting a first year car.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the lemon law? I know they have three chances to fix the car but does it matter if you switched dealers or not?

I haven't called the dealer yet, should I try to contact BMW NA directly or try to work through the dealer? Keep in mind that I have not brought my car from this dealer either.

Any advice on lemon car laws would be appreciated. I know my dad managed to return the car without having to go through the lemon law but his car was more severe, he had the 745li and car wouldn't start/stalling problems.

Thanks for the help
actually lemon law is easy i think under 18000 miles and 2 years and if you exceed that you can go for breach of warranty as long as your in warranty. however my 2009 m3 sedan had the same issue (rubbing sound) but was resolved with a change in differential fluid (it is common). the rubbing sound is gone! maybe its the same on the new 5. ask your dealer. go to M3 forum for thread . it worked for me
Appreciate 0