2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Variable Damper Control

11-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

Variable Damper Control

I have only a few days left to change the spec on my order if I want delivery for Jan '11. The only thing I'm not sure about now is the VDC. I haven't ordered it and baulk at the idea of spending €1,500 on it. How important is it to the ride of the car? I will be getting 18' (328) rims and I drive on some of Ireland's worst roads - and they don't come much worse than here!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

It depends if the VDC actualy works as intended. Although I have not tested it, I have suspicions whether the principle is sound, as dampers work in conjunction with springs, which are still static, so when you use VDC its only changing one part of a 2 part system, and the result can sometimes be even worse with no VDC.
Some here who have tested the full Adaptive drive (dampers+ARBs) here have commented that the dampers on soft setting makes one carsick, that the program may not be well matched. It may be different on just VDC however.
Personally I prefer an only Active ARBs option (none exists), i have doubts on VDC.
To be safe, you should at least try it first.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

I will strongly recommend it. If I where to buy only one extra on my car that would be it. It thigthens up your steering and gearbox too in sportmode. It transforms the car after the mood your in :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I have only a few days left to change the spec on my order if I want delivery for Jan '11. The only thing I'm not sure about now is the VDC. I haven't ordered it and baulk at the idea of spending €1,500 on it. How important is it to the ride of the car? I will be getting 18' (328) rims and I drive on some of Ireland's worst roads - and they don't come much worse than here!
Where are you seeing VDC as a separate option?
As far as I'm aware, it comes as part of the Adaptive Drive package which comprises adjustable roll bars and VDC. It's £2,220 in the UK, so if you're being offered it for 1,500 Euros, I'd bite the dealers hand off!
Either way, I'd recommend the system as you have the best of all worlds from soft to firm; however, I would personally prefer the 'sport' mode to be stiffer.
Hunt around for a dealer who has a demo car with this option fitted and see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Where are you seeing VDC as a separate option?
As far as I'm aware, it comes as part of the Adaptive Drive package which comprises adjustable roll bars and VDC. It's £2,220 in the UK, so if you're being offered it for 1,500 Euros, I'd bite the dealers hand off!
Either way, I'd recommend the system as you have the best of all worlds from soft to firm; however, I would personally prefer the 'sport' mode to be stiffer.
Hunt around for a dealer who has a demo car with this option fitted and see for yourself.
Adaptive drive includes VDC, and is available on the 530d upwards. It adds active roll bars as well.

On lower powered models you only get VDC, which is £950 in the U.K.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
If the roads you drive on are as bad as you say, then I recommended VDC. I ordered it myself because I found the ride using standard suspension on bad road surfaces to be too compromised. Potholes and ridges sent noisy thumps into the cabin, and disrupted the comfort. However, it's worth noting that the cars I drove had 19" wheels - and that on smooth motorways it was fine.

In my F11, I switch between the "comfort" setting on the motorway and "normal" for city driving at the touch of a button. Road imperfections are dealt with very well, and it's a huge difference compared to the standard suspension.

The best thing you can do is try the standard suspension on 18" wheels for yourself to see if you're O.K with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell View Post
Adaptive drive includes VDC, and is available on the 530d upwards. It adds active roll bars as well.

On lower powered models you only get VDC, which is £950 in the U.K.
Thanks for the clarification; I have a 535d with AD/VDC and I hadn't looked at option lists for lower powered variants.
I would think that VDC alone should make a noticeable difference as to how the car feels on rough surfaces, but I cannot speak from experience. So, to reiterate my earlier suggestion, I would recommend that the OP should test the VDC if possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
nicolo2
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 (August '10)

Very happy with the VDC on my 520dA. Gives best of both worlds, even in Sport and Sport+ mode it is still extremely comfortable. And I compared with non-VDC cars before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

If there is one option to get it is VDC. Comfort mode is superb on motorways and makes the ride exceptionally smooth even on other roads. It is also an economic way of driving. The car comes alive in sport mode on roads with plenty of bends
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

I just got my car two days ago and it has VDC. Haven't tested the VDC very much yet but I am starting to think that I should have ordered the M sport suspension instead. The Comfort mode is very soft and even the sport mode is quite soft. If it wasn't a leased car I think I would have gone with M sport suspension and lowered springs. Maybe I feel differently one I have tested the VDC some more.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorban View Post
I just got my car two days ago and it has VDC. Haven't tested the VDC very much yet but I am starting to think that I should have ordered the M sport suspension instead. The Comfort mode is very soft and even the sport mode is quite soft. If it wasn't a leased car I think I would have gone with M sport suspension and lowered springs. Maybe I feel differently one I have tested the VDC some more.
I should add one thing in defence of the VDC though. It's not only that you can switch between the different modes. The damper controls are active all the time and compensates for bad roads by sending information to the rear dampers if the front dampers encounters pot holes etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

I think the VDC is only relevant as part of adaptive drive. Because selecting a mode in adaptive drive will not only set the dampers but matching throttle respons and gearchange characteristics as well. Plus you get the next gen. suspension technology (dynamic drive) which makes a fundamental difference.
I also agree that damper settings within sport mode is still quite soft compared to traditional M sport suspensions (like in a e92 for example). That's why I changed the springset.
To my own surprise I have used the comfort mode a lot, specially in heavy rush hour highway traffic. I mean what's the point of a super stiff and sporty ride when there's no room to manoeuvre in the first place?
I cannot see the point of VDC as standalone option though: go for the M suspension instead.
      11-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #13
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How are you judging that the VDC sport mode is soft? Is it the feel in normal driving, or is it that the car leans from side to side when you throw it into a series of bends?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
i can't see how VDC, as a stand alone option, can really compare to a sport setup, variable damping on its own, even on a sport setting, can not be too firm, as its on standard springs and ARBs.

As I see it, it is just to fine tune the standard supension 'to taste'. As we have discussed before, even the full package of Adaptive Drive will never be like the M-sport setup, it is too different in concept. The passive M-sport suspension is the only setup that will feel firm, in the way we are used to sport suspensions. Albeit softer than some BMW M-sport models.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
....I cannot see the point of VDC as standalone option though: go for the M suspension instead.
What we really need as an option, is M-sport suspension (springs and ARBs) with matched VDC switching. Get the finer damping adjustment on an M-sport setup. If 'normal' was setup as the standard passive M-sport, then we'd have a slightly softer 'comfort' setting and a tighter than stock M-sport, 'sport' setting. I'm sure that would please more BMW drivers.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
I will strongly recommend it. If I where to buy only one extra on my car that would be it. It tightens up your steering and gearbox too in sport mode. It transforms the car after the mood your in :-)
Does it do that with standard steering or just the Integral Active Steering?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think the VDC is only relevant as part of adaptive drive. Because selecting a mode in adaptive drive will not only set the dampers but matching throttle respons and gearchange characteristics as well. Plus you get the next gen. suspension technology (dynamic drive) which makes a fundamental difference.
I also agree that damper settings within sport mode is still quite soft compared to traditional M sport suspensions (like in a e92 for example). That's why I changed the springset.
To my own surprise I have used the comfort mode a lot, specially in heavy rush hour highway traffic. I mean what's the point of a super stiff and sporty ride when there's no room to manoeuvre in the first place?
I cannot see the point of VDC as standalone option though: go for the M suspension instead.
VDC alone would (theoretically) be targeted to deal with bad roads by allowing softer/harder damper settings.
The other part of Adaptive drive, the variable antiroll bars, performs a different function, which is to manage the transfer of weight via suspension compression between the two sides of the car in turns.
If you are driving straight, ARBs variable or not, do not perform any postive function, which is why you want no ARBs if you never had to turn; hitting a pothole/road imperfection would tranfer minor jiggles to the other side of the suspension, which is not prefered to having it isolated and dealt with the suspension only on one side.
VDC=ability to deal with bad roads
variable ARB= soft in straight, hard on turns =no body roll

any of VDC/sportauto/IAS/Adaptive gives the Dynamic drive function for transmission+steering variability control
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #18
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
VDC alone would (theoretically) be targeted to deal with bad roads by allowing softer/harder damper settings.
The other part of Adaptive drive, the variable antiroll bars, performs a different function, which is to manage the transfer of weight via suspension compression between the two sides of the car in turns.
If you are driving straight, ARBs variable or not, do not perform any postive function, which is why you want no ARBs if you never had to turn; hitting a pothole/road imperfection would tranfer minor jiggles to the other side of the suspension, which is not prefered to having it isolated and dealt with the suspension only on one side.

any of VDC/sportauto/IAS/Adaptive gives the Dynamic drive function for transmission+steering variability control
This makes sense. I guess the "sport" VDC mode is a little misleading - though it will make the car handle better.

It doesn't bother me either way. I bought VDC primarily to deal with bad roads better than the standard suspension did. I'll get immediate disapproving comments from my wife and kids if I throw the car around
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post

Grimlock,

I checked the BMW tech guide and VDC is indeed an active system, even if it is not part of Adaptive drive. VDC not only gives you a few damper preset modes but also is an active system:
" A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set."

So, I have to correct myself: VDC seems worthwhile as a separate option as well.
Do you know if the throttle/gearchanging characteristics also change when selecting a different VDC mode?
      11-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Grimlock,
Do you know if the throttle/gearchanging characteristics also change when selecting a different VDC mode?
Yes, it's part of Driving Dynamics Control which you get with any of the VDC/adaptive drive, active steering or sports automatic.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell View Post
This makes sense. I guess the "sport" VDC mode is a little misleading - though it will make the car handle better.

It doesn't bother me either way. I bought VDC primarily to deal with bad roads better than the standard suspension did. I'll get immediate disapproving comments from my wife and kids if I throw the car around
be sure to 'throw' the wife+kids out before attempting to throw the car around

i stopped throwing my car around once some small squeeks started appearing, but fortunately they go away once you go back to 'normal' -the squeeks are 'variable' too
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Grimlock,

I checked the BMW tech guide and VDC is indeed an active system, even if it is not part of Adaptive drive. VDC not only gives you a few damper preset modes but also is an active system:
" A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set."

So, I have to correct myself: VDC seems worthwhile as a separate option as well.
EdwinF10,

Yeah, I find that part about active VDC ambiguous, it does not mention how or what it is actively doing. Do you think it really does soften up the back damper when the front damper hits a pothole? If so, that would be amazing .. you can calculate the amount of time this would have to be accomplished in, the valve mechanism would have to be electronic to react that fast.
Also, it can also adjust for each side of the road independently, if you are driving on the median/rough on one side, it will soften that side and keep the other side harder! That is truly a big promise. And also why I have questions on how it works/how well it works in real life, because it hits up against the limits of damper techonology (which I know nothing about, so I'm doing a lot of guesswork here).
It is complicated, and that some reviews have been mixed, there are alot of unknowns to us endusers still.

(I suppose you can adjust for transmission and/or steering on 'sport', just like on other VDC enabled cars. On the change from comfort to normal, I don't know but I would guess it stays the same, only the damper/ARB part would change.)
Appreciate 0