New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Regional Forums > UK

05-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

M-Sport suspension

Hi
My son is considering to buy a Z4 sDrive 35i M-Sport roadster.
The spec list is quite good with the possible exception that the M-Sport suspension has been deleted.
Now is this s good thing to have deleted on a 35i M-Sport Z4?
The car has a comfort/sport switch. As the M-Sport suspension has been deleted would that mean there would be no change on the suspension when the comfort/sport switch is operated?
Would appreciate you thoughts/advice.
Presumable the switch will change the steering, gearing and accelerator response, similar to my F30.
Another thought, is the 35i engine a particularly good one to be fitted in a Z4?
To me a seems to be a rather large engine!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Which option code is there for the suspension? It is possible a fixed suspension has been deleted because the adjustable suspension is included.

I think it is pretty key to have a "sport" suspension in the car to reduce the wheel gap and the body roll.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
JR956678
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
As the M-Sport suspension has been deleted would that mean there would be no change on the suspension when the comfort/sport switch is operated?
The UK spec M Sport 35i indeed has an option to delete the M Sport suspension and another option to add the M Sport Adaptive Suspension. The Adaptive suspension option includes a 10mm lowering and electrically adjustable dampers and if that option is added then the "standard" M Sport suspension is deleted.

However it appears that you can opt to delete the M Sport suspension without opting to add the M Sport Adaptive option. If that is the combination on this vehicle you would get a softer suspension but without the lowering or adjustability; selecting Sport or Sport+ would not make any changes to the suspension.

I'd agree with Nick in that I would prefer the vehicle with the adaptive suspension (to get the lowering and also the ability to stiffen up the damping when you need to or want to). Deleting the M Sport suspension without adding the M Sport Adaptive option would provide for a more comfortable ride all the time but give up the ability to stiffen things up a bit.

How significant this may be depends on the view of the driver. I spend most of my driving time in comfort mode anyway and find the ride/handling to be comfortable and satisfying. I use Sport mode more to get the throttle response changes and gearbox speed-up than to get the stiffer damping.

Quote:
Another thought, is the 35i engine a particularly good one to be fitted in a Z4?
To me a seems to be a rather large engine!
The US spec 35i is 231lbs heavier than the 28i (4 cylinder engine) but the weight distribution is near perfect (49.1%/50.9%). Some reviewers feel the car is more balanced with the 4 cylinder but I for one love the power, smoothness and sounds of the inline 6 (I have a 35is and love love the engine). Both the 35i and the 35is have the N54 which is a wonderful engine.

Last edited by JR956678; 05-26-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

If I was in your shoes OP, I would really try to negotiate price down based on absence of that "key" option then buy aftermarket if needed.

A nice thing about not having the adaptive suspension is you don't need a special kit to disable the sensor used by the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Many thanks nicknaz & JR956678 for your comments, which are much appreciated!

My son has made no definite decisions yet, but he is thinking along the lines that it would be a pity to have a 335i M-Sport without the M-Sport suspension!
Also, on a future re-sale it might be difficult to find a buyer, on the lines that a person wanting to buy a 335i is in the main going to be BMW enthusiast and will know what he/she wants.
In my own experience I have found that the M-Sport suspension is superior to the standard SE suspension.
The other snag which I did not mention was that the 335i although internet advertised and at a BMW Main Dealer had not been prepared.
i.e. the car had numerous scratches (quite a lot!) a few button dents and scuffed wheels.
The indications being that it had not been treated too well in its life so far. The Salesman made all sorts of promises, as they do, but together with the suspension prob I don't think there will be a sale!
Thanks again for your comments!
Appreciate 0