2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Juice Box aka JB3 stage 1 for N55...initial impressions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Juice Box aka JB3 stage 1 for N55...initial impressions

UPDATED DYNO Sheet 6/11/2011

Well after reading the thread started by Dr.MBA CLICK HERE I got quite motivated to see how the tune released by Terry over at Burger Motorsports works for our f10 with the n55 engine. For roughly $400, this is hands down the best bang for the buck mod out there. Power gains claimed by this mod is 100% legitimate (in my opinion).

The homies over at EAS installed the kit and made it a complete stealth/OEM style installation. It took Steve all of 15 minutes to install the complete kit!

To those of you that know me I'm quite the skeptic when it comes to products with bold claims. With Terry's dyno plots shown on his website his n55 vehicle showed gains of 31.42HP and 52.63TQ to the wheels! That is just simply amazing for a product that costs 1/10th of an exhaust system for our F10. The funny thing is that same exhaust system will probably only make 1/10th the power gains a JB3 Stage 1 tune will make for the N55.

JB3 Stage1 Dyno from Burger


My car literally went from installation and rolled forward 10 ft to jump onto the dyno. We ran 5 preliminary runs on the dyno to let the car adapt to the new tune and shut the car off and restarted it before the next pull. After that we made 5 complete passes on the dyno and each one showed more and more power gain in both HP and TQ! In the end my car made 290.12HP and 339.8TQ compared to my best stock run of 268.69HP and 280.59TQ. That is a gain of 21.43HP and 59.21TQ!

Unfortunately we ran out of time as it was getting late and Steve had to go home to his girlfriend . So the next time I get the chance to jump on the dyno I'll try bumping the boost up 1-2lbs and see if the car can generate the HP numbers that Terry achieved on his N55.

I dont have any dyno plots to share with you guys as I forgot to get it on the way out. But I do have a video clip of my best dyno run to share with you guys. You can see the results at the end of the video, run #4 was my best stock run with my 20" LMRs and the best and final run #9.


Final Thoughts
Just like the dyno runs on the car, the more and more I drive it the better the car feels. The torque is absolutely ridiculous and the car pulls hard from 3k-5.5k. The way Terry set this tune up is the way BMW should have sold the car from the factory. I've had this tune on my car for 2 days now and is way too much fun. Currently at 72 days of ownership and 6k miles, I can finally say I'm satisfied with the performance.

If you are reading this you need to get this for your car asap, you'll probably have as big a smile on your face as I do. It only costs $379 + shipping! I'm really looking forward to the future stages of Terry's JB tunes as they figure it out more!

Again I want to thank Steve, Tom and David over at EAS for installing this and dyno'ing my car. Be on the lookout as I have a few more engine mods coming and hopefully I get get some more dyno runs of each mod and this cars evolution.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos

Last edited by jaekeem; 06-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
78mao
Major
 
78mao's Avatar
 
Drives: F10, F13, F80 en route to US
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Socal/Irvine

Posts: 1,019
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [0.00]
Im gettign mine soon!
__________________

thanks to www.lmted.com
78mao is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

I hope you do it'll be badass thats for sure!
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,686
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to annoy you, but as we all lknow a stock N55 has 306 (EU) DIN HP and 400Nm from 1200rpm on paper.

What are the estimate crankshaft DIN HP? 360/370 and 500+Nm I guess?
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

RobinHood if my calculations are correct if my baseline dyno of 268.69hp is correct I have 10.44% drivetrain loss if the engine is rated at 300hp. If I use that same loss calculation the engine should be making around 323.4hp

Otherwise standard 15% drivetrain power loss for rear wheel drive cars means BMW underrates our motor and really makes 316hp then with the JB stage 1 tune the car makes 341hp to the flywheel.

If my calculations are wrong please let me know, I'm no expert when it comes to converting power figures. All I know is my dyno shows I made more power
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,686
iTrader: (0)

Thanx jaekeem. 341HP to the flywheel is about 350 DIN HP more or less.
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
DieselWeasel
Private
 
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekeem View Post
Well after reading the thread started by Dr.MBA CLICK HERE I got quite motivated to see how the tune released by Terry over at Burger Motorsports works for our f10 with the n55 engine. For roughly $400, this is hands down the best bang for the buck mod out there. Power gains claimed by this mod is 100% legitimate (in my opinion).

The homies over at EAS installed the kit and made it a complete stealth/OEM style installation. It took Steve all of 15 minutes to install the complete kit!

To those of you that know me I'm quite the skeptic when it comes to products with bold claims. With Terry's dyno plots shown on his website his n55 vehicle showed gains of 31.42HP and 52.63TQ to the wheels! That is just simply amazing for a product that costs 1/10th of an exhaust system for our F10. The funny thing is that same exhaust system will probably only make 1/10th the power gains a JB3 Stage 1 tune will make for the N55.

JB3 Stage1 Dyno from Burger


My car literally went from installation and rolled forward 10 ft to jump onto the dyno. We ran 5 preliminary runs on the dyno to let the car adapt to the new tune and shut the car off and restarted it before the next pull. After that we made 5 complete passes on the dyno and each one showed more and more power gain in both HP and TQ! In the end my car made 290.12HP and 339.8TQ compared to my best stock run of 268.69HP and 280.59TQ. That is a gain of 21.43HP and 59.21TQ!

Unfortunately we ran out of time as it was getting late and Steve had to go home to his girlfriend . So the next time I get the chance to jump on the dyno I'll try bumping the boost up 1-2lbs and see if the car can generate the HP numbers that Terry achieved on his N55.

I dont have any dyno plots to share with you guys as I forgot to get it on the way out. But I do have a video clip of my best dyno run to share with you guys. You can see the results at the end of the video, run #4 was my best stock run with my 20" LMRs and the best and final run #9.


Final Thoughts
Just like the dyno runs on the car, the more and more I drive it the better the car feels. The torque is absolutely ridiculous and the car pulls hard from 3k-5.5k. The way Terry set this tune up is the way BMW should have sold the car from the factory. I've had this tune on my car for 2 days now and is way too much fun. Currently at 72 days of ownership and 6k miles, I can finally say I'm satisfied with the performance.

If you are reading this you need to get this for your car asap, you'll probably have as big a smile on your face as I do. It only costs $379 shipping! I'm really looking forward to the future stages of Terry's JB tunes as they figure it out more!

Again I want to thank Steve, Tom and David over at EAS for installing this and dyno'ing my car. Be on the lookout as I have a few more engine mods coming and hopefully I get get some more dyno runs of each mod and this cars evolution.
Just wait until you try 4 or 5 PSI! Feels to me like another 20 or so HP and another 20 or so TQ at least. Hard to tell as I haven't done any dyno runs but or sure there is significantly more power. Keep us posted and enjoy.
DieselWeasel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: Hybrid
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,184
iTrader: (64)

I've never been a big fan of performance mods but after reading your thread Jason it's making me want to pick this up just for the heck of it.
My only concern and everyones probably heard this question over and over again is will this mod void my warranty?
I bought my car so I'd like to keep it covered. You mentions EAS installed in stealth like. Does that mean the dealer won't know it's there?
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
DieselWeasel
Private
 
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
I've never been a big fan of performance mods but after reading your thread Jason it's making me want to pick this up just for the heck of it.
My only concern and everyones probably heard this question over and over again is will this mod void my warranty?
I bought my car so I'd like to keep it covered. You mentions EAS installed in stealth like. Does that mean the dealer won't know it's there?
You can easily remove the tune before visiting the dealer. In 2,000 hard miles I have no codes of any kind so it is not traceable. Stevie Wonder could take it out in less than 15 minutes, blindfolded or not.
DieselWeasel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: Hybrid
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,184
iTrader: (64)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
You can easily remove the tune before visiting the dealer. In 2,000 hard miles I have no codes of any kind so it is not traceable. Stevie Wonder could take it out in less than 15 minutes, blindfolded or not.
Thank you very much Diesel! So this is plug and play? I don't have to reprogram if I have to remove it and put it back in later?
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 550I Msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cumming, Ga

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

I would read the N54 forums for more info but they are right that on regular maintenance visits the dealer will never know. However if something should happen to the motor and they look in the DME more carefully they can see it's been tampered with. There are MANY N54's an probably a fair number of N55's running both piggyback systems so I wouldn't worry and in fact my N63 will be a guinea pig starting next week but you should know what's what going in.
Jimefam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
dr.mba
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport Package
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Jaekeem, I am so jealous! I ordered mine and still waiting for it to arrive!! I am so mad at the guys at Jlevi since they did not contact me to tell me they needed my vehicle production date to send me the right unit!! Anyhow, it's shipped and on its way to me now. I will post my thoughts when its installed and I give it a good run. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Jason.

MBA
dr.mba is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
DieselWeasel
Private
 
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
You can easily remove the tune before visiting the dealer. In 2,000 hard miles I have no codes of any kind so it is not traceable. Stevie Wonder could take it out in less than 15 minutes, blindfolded or not.
Thank you very much Diesel! So this is plug and play? I don't have to reprogram if I have to remove it and put it back in later?
Nope. Remove. Visit dealer. Install drive. Smile. A lot.
DieselWeasel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Just wait until you try 4 or 5 PSI! Feels to me like another 20 or so HP and another 20 or so TQ at least. Hard to tell as I haven't done any dyno runs but or sure there is significantly more power. Keep us posted and enjoy.
I cant wait to try raising the boost a bit more. I was planning on doing it today, but the 7am round of golf and being back in the office to finish projects put a hamper on that. I really think the numbers from Burger website is with the boost up to 5psi over stock. With my car and its dyno I really think it'll generate those numbers with the 1-2psi increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
I've never been a big fan of performance mods but after reading your thread Jason it's making me want to pick this up just for the heck of it.
My only concern and everyones probably heard this question over and over again is will this mod void my warranty?
I bought my car so I'd like to keep it covered. You mentions EAS installed in stealth like. Does that mean the dealer won't know it's there?
Honestly if it cost more than what it did I'd think twice but reading diesel's posts just made me want to go an try it out. It also helps seeing the car show that increase in power evenly throughout the whole powerband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimefam View Post
I would read the N54 forums for more info but they are right that on regular maintenance visits the dealer will never know. However if something should happen to the motor and they look in the DME more carefully they can see it's been tampered with. There are MANY N54's an probably a fair number of N55's running both piggyback systems so I wouldn't worry and in fact my N63 will be a guinea pig starting next week but you should know what's what going in.
Definitely wouldnt stress about the dealer, I plan on going in for service with it installed and that still 8-9 months away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
Jaekeem, I am so jealous! I ordered mine and still waiting for it to arrive!! I am so mad at the guys at Jlevi since they did not contact me to tell me they needed my vehicle production date to send me the right unit!! Anyhow, it's shipped and on its way to me now. I will post my thoughts when its installed and I give it a good run. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Jason.

MBA
MBA no need to be jealous you have yours coming in the next couple days. You'll forget all about jlevi after the install with that grin on your face. I'm looking forward to hearing your input on the device as well.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
lgk
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

4 or 5 boost

I have had the BMS stage 1 almost purchasing the vehicle 90 days ago. I too have had no codes, I bought the cable to increase the boost. I did so to 5 PSI and the care did not file as strong as the 2.75 standard rate. It was a very hot humid day which makes a tremendous difference with a turbo vehicle.

One caveat-I have the tuner box tugged under some wires near the firewall. when I pulled it out to increase the boost the casing had signs of previous melting. I bought some high temp silicone rap to insulate.
lgk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #16
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
I have had the BMS stage 1 almost purchasing the vehicle 90 days ago. I too have had no codes, I bought the cable to increase the boost. I did so to 5 PSI and the care did not file as strong as the 2.75 standard rate. It was a very hot humid day which makes a tremendous difference with a turbo vehicle.

One caveat-I have the tuner box tugged under some wires near the firewall. when I pulled it out to increase the boost the casing had signs of previous melting. I bought some high temp silicone rap to insulate.
So raising the boost up for you didnt make much of a difference? Also what octane gas do you have available in your area? The best I can get at the pump here is 91 oct.

Great thing is the weather has been in the low 70's for a while so the car runs nice and cool!

Thanks for the forewarning regarding the location of the JB install. I'm sure that area of the engine bay does get hot considering the device is set on the vicinity of the turbo/downpipe.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
lgk
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

93 octane, but it was high humidity and 92 degrees. However, at some point with turbos you reach the law of diminishing returns (when other mods are not done as well) but I do not know what the maximum boost the N55 turbo can hold without any other modifications
lgk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Updated with Dyno SAE corrected

Here is a copy of my dyno run that I got from EAS. Tom sent me an SAE corrected comparison. As an FYI most of the dynos floating around are STD correction. If you guys want to see that I'll ask Tom to send me that later.

JB Stage 1
Max HP: 282.87
Max TQ: 331.32

Stock
Max HP: 257.63
Max TQ: 274.70

Peak Gains
HP: 25.24
TQ: 56.62

If you take a look at the dyno you can see huge gains all across the board and until around 6k the average gains are 30hp. Largest gain is around 3400RPM with ~40hp.

Torque is pretty consistent til around 5k RPM, largest gains are seen around 3400RPM. The chip also gets ride of the dip in torque at 3600-4500 RPM.


__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Here is the standard correction dyno with AFR readings from EAS. Thanks Tom for sending me this dyno sheet as well. Looking forward to the future power mods we do next!

JB Stage 1
Max HP: 290.12
Max TQ: 339.80

Stock
Max HP: 264.21
Max TQ: 281.71

Peak Gains
HP: 25.91
TQ: 58.09

__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
blackberrycubed
Private First Class
 
Drives: 535i Xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

Jakeem: Is this with the default boost settings which is like +2.75? or did you bump it up? I am reading that +4.0 boost gives the best power for an otherwise stock car.
blackberrycubed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #21
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrycubed View Post
Jakeem: Is this with the default boost settings which is like +2.75? or did you bump it up? I am reading that +4.0 boost gives the best power for an otherwise stock car.
This is the JB stage 1 straight out of the box with no boost adjustment with a completely stock motor.

I'll be trying some other mods soon and hopefully have more dyno results to share with the findings on the n55 as we discover them.

If just raising the boost to +4 over stock gives more power then my guess is it'll be around the 35hp and like 70tq compared to +2.75.

But again I dont know until I see it on the dyno with the changes in the boost setting.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
CitrusgutsIS
waste of space
 
Drives: 2012 750 M-sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: brooklyn,NY

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to CitrusgutsIS
just installed it and not too impressed my 335 is oulled so much harder stock IMO
__________________
2011 535 M-sport l xdrive l adaptive drive l BSM l Dakota

2011 335 is l DCT l BSM l saddle brown l Everything else l Sold

2011 x5 35 l AW l red interior l everything else l
CitrusgutsIS is offline   Abu Dhabi
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST