Drives: X3M

Arrow Interview: BMW M Head of Engine Development Details F10 M5 S63Tu Engine

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Interview: BMW M Head of Engine Development Details F10 M5 S63Tu Engine
COMMENTS
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 61059
Size:  373.4 KB

As we reported earlier, the engine of the F10 M5 isn't a direct swap from the X5 M and X6 M but a substantially revised engine. In an interview with M-Power.com, Jürgen Poggel, Head of Engine Development at BMW M GmbH, now shared more details on this engine. Read the full interview below to learn more about the newly introduced VALVETRONIC, the principle of the cross bank exhaust manifold and more. An interesting tidbit: Unlike earlier M engines, the S63TU no longer needs 10W-60 oil.

Name:  Poggel_200.jpg
Views: 32305
Size:  11.5 KB
Mr Poggel, what were the greatest challenges in developing the V8 engine for the new BMW M5?

Jürgen Poggel: The V8 engine is a high performance sports engine. Our goal in developing this new model was to make it even better that the V10 engine of the predecessor, which had already gained legendary status.

Where do you see the advantages?

One key advantage of this turbo engine is the high torque available from speeds as low as the bottom range. Whereas I have to use the right gear with the matching speed for the V10, the new engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers unbridled thrust over a wide speed range. The new motor provides nearly 700 Nm of torque at a speed as low as 1500 rpm. In the V10, this was about 300 Nm. The characteristics of the high speed turbo unit with its extremely spontaneous response make the V8 in the new BMW M5 the ultimate sports engine.

Name:  Graph.jpg
Views: 41276
Size:  168.0 KB

Power and torque curves of the new BMW M5 engine.

What does that mean?

In many turbo engines, power output soon drops with rising speed. The output from this engine, on the other hand, remains constant from 1000 rpm. So rev limits make sense. And we have implemented a large number of technical measures that raise the response to the level of an aspirated engine.

What does the customer get from all this?

He gets outstanding performance and drivability on both the race track and public roads.

On the race track I have to shift gears less. The sensitive response allows me to balance the vehicle with the accelerator pedal over a wide speed range. This means faster lap times.

In everyday situations, the most convincing feature is above all the superior performance potential. The engine builds up a huge thrust, mostly over more than one gear. And we have raised the efficiency of the engine, so that it now needs considerably less fuel – both on paper and in reality. This benefits above all the range – in addition to your purse and the environment, a clear advantage over the predecessor.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 61059
Size:  373.4 KB

The V8 engine of the new BMW M5. Seen at the front are the two charge air coolers, and further out the two intake silencers.

How did you achieve this combination of properties, which is almost like trying to square the circle?

The magic word here is dethrottling. Dethrottling means improving the response, the power output, and the efficiency. We modified practically everything in the air intake and exhaust system.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 36942
Size:  236.3 KB

Generously dimensioned pipes in the intake section.

Let’s start with the intake.

The charge air exiting the compressor measures as much as 130 °C and must be cooled. In this engine, the charge air is not cooled with air, but indirectly with water. So I don’t need to transfer the air through long pipes, and the throttle losses are very much lower. We use coolers and pipe cross sections of exceptionally generous sizes. Intake silencers and charge air coolers are installed very close to the engine. All of these measures contribute to dethrottling on the intake side.

Name:  cooling_600.jpg
Views: 37236
Size:  37.8 KB

Low temperature circuit for cooling the charge air and the Digital Motor Electronics:

A Coolant radiator

B Additional coolant radiator

C Electric coolant pump for cylinder bank 1

D Charge air cooler for cylinder bank 1

E Expansion tank

F DME cylinder bank 1

G DME cylinder bank 2

H Charge air cooler for cylinder bank 2

I Electric coolant pump for cylinder bank 2

J Additional coolant radiator

The V8 engine of the new BMW M5 is now also fitted with “VALVETRONIC”. Can you tell us what that means?

With the VALVETRONIC, the intake valve lift can be varied continuously from two or three tenths of a millimetre to the max limit. The advantage of this is best seen when compared with the conventional aspirated engine. In this latter case, the power is regulated via the so called throttle valve. The engine always tries to take in the full quantity of air, but I’m just not letting it. The valve is open fully only at full throttle. When I close the throttle gap, the engine generates a partial vacuum throughout the intake system. When the intake valve is closed and the piston starts moving up, this partial vacuum can no longer be used for the engine.

Name:  Valvetronic_600.jpg
Views: 46013
Size:  51.6 KB
Continuous valve lift adjust for throttle-free load control.

01 VANOS adjust unit on exhaust side

02 Exhaust camshaft

03 Roller cam follower

04 Hydraulic valve adjuster HVA

05 Valve spring on exhaust side

06 Exhaust valve

07 Intake valve

08 Hydraulic valve adjuster HVA

09 Valve spring on intake side

10 Roller cam follower

11 VALVETRONIC servomotor

12 Eccentric shaft

13 Spring

14 Intermediate lever

15 Intake camshaft

16 VANOS adjust unit on intake side

With VALVETRONIC, the quantity of air is regulated at the valve. When the cylinder has enough air for the respective load point, I close the valve. A partial vacuum is therefore generated here as well when the piston moves down. As an analogy, imagine closing the hole in the end of a bicycle pump while you’re pulling on the other end: let go, and the end returns inside the pump. In other words, the energy I expend building up the partial vacuum I can get back afterwards. The throttle losses are therefore reduced.

VALVETRONIC also allows the charging pressure to build up considerably faster. We can therefore use a load control that lets me keep the turbine at speed and open the valve clearance as much as I need when shifting gears or accelerating. When I step on the accelerator, I feel the thrust pressing into me faster, and there is far better response.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 43362
Size:  388.6 KB

Engine with removed catalytic converters and intake silencers.

And on the exhaust side? We’re constantly hearing about “cross bank exhaust manifold” and “twin scroll twin turbo technology” without actually understanding the advantages.

(Laughs.) The cross bank exhaust manifold is an optimised collector of exhaust gases for the turbocharger from each of the cylinders. The V8 engine runs with a stutter anyway, giving rise to the typical V8 bubbling. A twelve cylinder always ignites the cylinders in the bank in crosswise fashion, one left, one right, nice and regular. For reasons of comfort, the V8 is fitted with a crankshaft that ignites twice in succession on the one bank and then jumps to the other. You can hear this highly irregular ignition sequence as the typical V8 bubbling in the exhaust tract, a sound you cannot hear from the engine of the new BMW M5.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 43280
Size:  207.0 KB

Principle of the cross bank exhaust manifold.

The cross bank exhaust manifold is made up of pipes that are joined to both banks in a rigid structure. The exhaust gases are therefore transferred optimally to the turbochargers. Every cylinder can therefore “expirate” under the optimal conditions. When I open the exhaust valve, a very hot, high energy jet of exhaust gases is released under a high pressure that hits an exhaust gas duct and then the charger turbine with virtually undiminished force. I therefore utilise the energy not only in the exhaust gas flow, but also in its momentum. As an analogy, imagine blowing on a pinwheel with a single breath: you’ll see that not only the volume, but also the momentum of the air has an effect.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 45212
Size:  235.7 KB

Cross bank exhaust manifold with M TwinPower Twin Scroll turbochargers.

This works only because the Twin Scroll turbines separate the exhaust gas flows in the two turbo chargers.

To illustrate this advantage, let’s try the following thought experiment. Let us imagine a very simple setup. Eight cylinders blow through a “hole” on an exhaust gas turbine. The pressure pulse therefore not only hits the turbine, but also spreads into other exhaust gas pipes. I therefore lose energy. This method is called constant-pressure turbocharging: I pump everything together into a large vessel from which the collected exhaust gas passes over the turbine. In our two turbos, however, the Twin Scroll ducts act as a partition in the turbine, so that every exhaust pulse hits the turbine blades directly without getting lost on the way. This is how we can utilise the speed of the gas as well. Not only the volume of the exhaust gas jet, also its dynamics takes effect – and its momentum is converted effectively.

This transfer of exhaust gases offers yet another advantage: when more than one cylinder blows together in a pipe, there is a lot of residual gas there. Consequently, when the exhaust valve is opened, the cylinder cannot fully discharge its exhaust gas. In our motor, the gas flowing out of the cylinder also takes this residual gas with it.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 35149
Size:  218.4 KB

Generously dimensioned pipes exhaust section.

So we have exploited everything we could on the exhaust gas side as well for better charge changing and therefore the optimal response: large pipe cross sections, cross bank exhaust manifold, and twin scroll twin turbo technology.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 38330
Size:  251.4 KB

Electric water pump for the low temperature cooling circuit.

Dethrottling the engine offers advantages not only in the form of outstanding response, but also for consumption?

Yes, the engine of the new BMW M5 fulfils nearly all map ranges without fuel enrichment, and therefore higher fuel consumption. All in all, the measures I have described, together with other steps, lead to a huge reduction in consumption during approval procedures and as experienced by customers. This serves to extend above all the range – a benefit that our customers have wished emphatically in the past. Today, our engineers can travel from Garching to the Nürburgring on a single tank of fuel. Earlier, this was just a pipe dream.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 38183
Size:  323.2 KB

Exhaust side turbocharger with waste gate.

By selecting the Sport or Sport plus accelerator mode, we can really feel the additional boost to the response. How does that work?

In Sport or Sport plus mode, a suitable VALVETRONIC controller and the waste gates keep the turbocharger in the higher speed range. Normally, the waste gate used to regulate the charging pressure opens so that the exhaust gas flows out with the minimum possible loss. Pressure is built up again only when I hit the accelerator. For an improved response, I leave the waste gate closed until I need it for regulating. The exhaust gas then always passes over the turbine, which then runs at a considerably higher speed. When even more power is demanded, it is immediately available. However, I have a gradually rising counterpressure that causes a slight rise in consumption. This function can therefore be switched on and off. By the way, in the BMW 1 Series M Coupé the same function is activated at the M Button.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 56980
Size:  437.5 KB

Engine with cover plate removed. At the back in the centre the two catalytic converters, and next to them the water cooled engine controllers.

We sometimes hear that turbo engines are preferred because they are easier to build. Is that true?

No, at least not our engines, not by a long chalk. High speed aspirated engines are subjected to high mechanical forces, and I need charge changing that works not only at the highest speeds, but also with adequate efficiency in normal driving mode.

Furthermore, the turbo engine must fulfil high thermal requirements. The V8 engine of the BMW M5 can run with exhaust temperatures up to 1050 °C. The higher the possible temperatures, the better: I don’t need to enrich the mixture – and raise fuel consumption – for cooling the engine, and high temperatures are good for the response. These temperatures, though, must be mastered and controlled. The engine block of about 200 kg measures at least 110–115 °C, and the temperatures of the exhaust manifolds and turbochargers can be as high as 1000 °C.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 35154
Size:  255.7 KB

Removed catalytic converter.

These must be contained and controlled both in the moving car and after the engine has been switched off. On top, the engine can provide a great deal of power at low speeds too (as I said before: about twice as much as the old V10), so considerably more heat can accumulate there as well. For most cars, this is scarcely of any significance because the full power output is brought to bear only very rarely, if ever. Yet the BMW M5 is a sports car, and this power is demanded, especially on the race track.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 35323
Size:  313.0 KB

Water cooling for the turbochargers.

How do you safeguard the optimal cooling?

With the most diverse measures. The engine was lowered by two centimetres for enhanced air intake – a measure that of course also lowered the centre of gravity for even greater dynamic effect. In addition, the oil circuit is designed for racing and can therefore take lateral accelerations that can be as high as 1.3 g. Like the brake fluid, the oil should be taken from wherever it is at the time.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 69289
Size:  336.5 KB

Oil cooler at the bottom of the engine compartment.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 34652
Size:  370.5 KB

One of three radiators for the low temperature water circuit.

The new BMW M5 has several cooling circuits: the classical cooling water and oil circuits for the engine are joined by a low temperature water cooling circuit that e.g. cools indirectly the charge air cooler. By the way, even the high performance engine controllers are water cooled. And in addition there are other separate cooling circuits for manual gearboxes, etc.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 41148
Size:  302.1 KB

Water cooled engine controller.

As early as the BMW 1 Series M Coupé, the question was raised as to the max oil temperatures the engine can actually take.

The answer is as simple as it may sound surprising: There’s nothing to worry about! Our so called heat manager can detect all critical situations during normal operations. Should any medium, oil, water, or an engine component become too hot under specific environmental or load profiles, countermeasures are taken automatically. These can even involve throttling the power output for the protection of the engine. And when we assume the extreme: there is no cooling for full throttle driving in first gear under a noon desert sun, which is rather silly anyway.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 35216
Size:  250.7 KB

Instrument dials of the new BMW M5.

But to get back to the original question: the usual oils can withstand 150 °C well, but it starts getting critical after 160 °C, although 200 °C is occasionally reached on the cylinder liners. These temperatures, though, are only brief and so are not detrimental to the oil. When, on the other hand, the oil is subjected to high temperatures for long and frequent periods, the displayed service intervals automatically take this into account. The high performance M engines are therefore designed for drivers who don’t want to drive with one eye constantly on the oil temperature gauge.

By the way, the engine no longer needs the familiar 10W-60 oil with its high viscosity. Instead, we can use the latest low viscosity oils for considerably less friction.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 37248
Size:  404.3 KB

So what are you particularly proud of in the new BMW M5?

The new BMW M5 delivers a performance that goes right off the scale. You’ll experience an unbelievable range of supreme sporty characteristics. The new BMW M5 is fun on both the race track and the road home. It’s a real pleasure to me every time to drive the new M5.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

09-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
swmrdrn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Outstanding performance but wow that's a lot of stuff that can break! I don't think I would want to own that outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Such a Beast!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Wow talk about complex! Can someone explain to me why they do not require high viscosty oil as of m engines past? Why did the prior m engines require high viscosity? I never understood this difference and now with this m5 engine its not like it is running any cooler or slower and yet does not require the special M oil of past.?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Wow talk about complex! Can someone explain to me why they do not require high viscosty oil as of m engines past? Why did the prior m engines require high viscosity? I never understood this difference and now with this m5 engine its not like it is running any cooler or slower and yet does not require the special M oil of past.?
What kind of engine oil does the X5M / X6M engines use? I'm willing to bet it's not the Castrol TWS 10W60 either....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

The mechanics from my BMW dealer are going to service and repair this? LOL!!
Occam's Razor has been thrown out the window.
"the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one".

Last edited by ZED4Mjjl; 09-22-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

IF you go back and read it completely, it is explained in detail as to why...

-They have built-in safeguards that eliminate the need for such extremities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Lloyd
Networking Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Subaru STi 5dr

Garage List
oh my god, bmw, you've created a monster!
      09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Damn M division really out did themselves. This engine sounds fabulous. Great job by everyone at M. Keep up the good work and thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
What kind of engine oil does the X5M / X6M engines use? I'm willing to bet it's not the Castrol TWS 10W60 either....
I read it in detail and thanks for the useless response. I am referring to the workings of the prior M engines and what exactly a higher viscosity oil is used for rather than al ighter. My thought is the lower friction of the lower viscosity would be beneficial for power in a fast moving engine like the high revving M engines were. However maybe the oil gets so hot that it does not provide adequate lubrication. The article does not address lubrication needs in detail and why less lubrication is required given the extremely hot temperatures of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Awesome interview - thanks. The M5's engine is an masterpiece!
      09-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrdrn View Post
Outstanding performance but wow that's a lot of stuff that can break! I don't think I would want to own that outside of warranty.
+1... such a beast of an engine, but so many moving parts. I'll take the extended, EXTENDED warranty -- please
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
BMWadd1ct
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black N55 135i

BEAST
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
X5/6 M's use 5/30 so this is in line with what this will use. This engine is not the first M to use it but then again only the title says that not him in the interview. It's my belief the 1M also uses 5/30 but I may be wrong on that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

From the looks & sounds of it, it's going to be incredible! Can't wait to see it against its competitors.
      09-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M1

I can imagine how fun developing an ECU upgrade for this car will be......
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Giannis
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60

Great read and great job there south!

I wonder if we can find out what is the make-model of the turbochargers that are used in the S63 and S63TU...
      09-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

Quote:
LOL, if your first thought is the cost of something breaking outside of warranty you're obviously not a potential customer for an M5 anyway.
      09-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It can't be good when the DME needs water cooling...
We already know the turbo engines don't hold up well to hard flogging.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #21
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
The E60 ///M5 was already stuffed to the brim with electronics, I can only hope that they've improved the reliability with the F10
      09-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
For reasons of comfort, the V8 is fitted with a crankshaft that ignites twice in succession on the one bank and then jumps to the other. You can hear this highly irregular ignition sequence as the typical V8 bubbling in the exhaust tract, a sound you cannot hear from the engine of the new BMW M5.
Does anybody here does NOT like the bubbling of a 4 liter V8? This development makes me sad, to be honest. Nice that it is technically possible, but I think the character of a V8 car gets lost. Perhaps I should switch to a Mustang after my M3 V8...

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0