BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
swimfreak
Orange Crush
Rep
Drives: fun!!!

PCD Drive Home question

So I screwed up. PCD scheduled for 10/20, driving back to Dallas over 3 days. I figured, split the days up, plan on about 5 hours of driving per day, and it'd be a good time in the car, and my wife won't kill me for dragging her all over the country.

Well, I was so excited about the trip. I was also excited that we'd be passing through Memphis, and that I'd get to try Memphis barbeque, that I accidentally scheduled our first hotel for Memphis the night that we pick up the car. That's a 9 hour (according to google maps) trip on the first day of driving the car!

So here's the question, is driving 9 hours the first day on the car going to hurt the break-in period? I'll do everything else right, change-up the engine speed, keep the rpm below 5.5k, and really try not to go over 110mph, but is that going to be enough. Basically, is there unstated break-in logic that would suggest letting the engine cool every couple hundred miles or so?

If not, then I just need to decide if eating the cost of the hotel is worth my life, and stopping at Nashville instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I drove my car a lot on the autobahn.. While 9 hours is a big day... you can vary gears and speeds like you mentioned... I varied 5th and 6th a lot and then sometimes 4th gear... Also remember you will need to stop for bathrooms... heck... visit a couple of rest stops just so you can get a few chances to go through the gears...

DO be careful driving in Tennessee after dark.. LOTS of cops. I mean TONS. Especially over hills... They sit in the median in the dark... I hope you have a Valentine one.... I would definitely avoid any top speed runs in TN on 40.. even though the road is BABY smooth and will tempt you.. Arkansas is not as bad... avoid speeding around the "big" cities.. still there are a few cops... and same with I-30 in Texas.. can be a few as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
fermat1313
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M, 2002 Honda S200

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfreak View Post
So I screwed up. PCD scheduled for 10/20, driving back to Dallas over 3 days. I figured, split the days up, plan on about 5 hours of driving per day, and it'd be a good time in the car, and my wife won't kill me for dragging her all over the country.

Well, I was so excited about the trip. I was also excited that we'd be passing through Memphis, and that I'd get to try Memphis barbeque, that I accidentally scheduled our first hotel for Memphis the night that we pick up the car. That's a 9 hour (according to google maps) trip on the first day of driving the car!

So here's the question, is driving 9 hours the first day on the car going to hurt the break-in period? I'll do everything else right, change-up the engine speed, keep the rpm below 5.5k, and really try not to go over 110mph, but is that going to be enough. Basically, is there unstated break-in logic that would suggest letting the engine cool every couple hundred miles or so?

If not, then I just need to decide if eating the cost of the hotel is worth my life, and stopping at Nashville instead.
Driving 9 hours doesn't necessarily violate break-in, but they recommend that you vary engine speeds during the first several hundred miles. Cruising at 75 at 2x00 RPM doesn't cut that. Whether that is an issue is another question.

You could row through the gears while cruising on the freeway to keep the revs moving around, but I imagine that would get old quickly.

I haven't done PDC yet (I'll do it for my 1M after ED) but the impression I get is that the delivery day has a lot of activities available for the day. You may feel like you have to miss some of the experience if you need to rush out.

2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe | Valencia Orange | ED Ordered May 26, 2011 | Welt Pickup October 25, 2011 | PCD Pickup January 3, 2012
2002 Honda S2000 | Suzuka Blue | Purchased in 2012 with 81k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfreak View Post

You'll be rolling in around midnight if it truly takes 9 hours and your car is going to be covered with bugs. Why not stop in Asheville the first night then Memphis the next? Book a room at the Grove Park Inn to make the wife happy.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

No problem driving 9 hours (or more) a day so long as you vary rpm, don't exceed rev limit and avoid wide open throttle.

You'll be fine.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
If you plan on taping up the front end before you depart, factor in another 1.5-2 hrs for application. Congrats!
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
9 hrs or 90hrs....it doesn't matter as long as you vary the engine speeds and go through the gears occasionally during first couple hundred miles...goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Enjoy the drive and try not to rip the 1m believe me its difficult. I drove mine back to NJ thru Tennesse I didnt see many po---leee---ceeee but doesnt mean they arent around. Great cool weather for the turbos too .. Most of all ENJOY THE RIDE !
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
You'll be rolling in around midnight if it truly takes 9 hours and your car is going to be covered with bugs. Why not stop in Asheville the first night then Memphis the next? Book a room at the Grove Park Inn to make the wife happy.
couldn't agree more! these are great stops with some great roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat1313 View Post
Driving 9 hours doesn't necessarily violate break-in, but they recommend that you vary engine speeds during the first several hundred miles. Cruising at 75 at 2x00 RPM doesn't cut that. Whether that is an issue is another question.

You could row through the gears while cruising on the freeway to keep the revs moving around, but I imagine that would get old quickly.
^^^ THAT

I drove over 6 hrs the very first day I picked up the car in Munich (to Cologne, ~550km but was mid day and lots of traffic on the way). The length in terms of hours is not important as folks have stated, it is what you do with the car in the meantime. Vary the load of the engine, don't set the cruise control and coast for hours, shift often, etc. You may even want to take B-roads every now and then rather than the highway to mix things up.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

PCD 1M

I did PCD on September 1. The day goes from 7:45 am to 4:00 pm. We drove to Charleston that afternoon for first night. Savannah the second night. Meridian Mississippi the third night and into Dallas the following day. I used many two lane roads to vary the speed and scenery. 900 miles after PCD would make for a long day of driving. This could be considered a good thing for the driver but not for the passenger. Change the hotel now before it's too late.
Appreciate 0